Why is Dish shutting down the 721?

caseyatbt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 29, 2003
Monument, CO
I got a letter that I need to call in for a free replacement receiver. They said my 721 needed to be replaced with a 522? But my 508 was fine. Is the 721 really that outdated?

If you have a chance to get a 522 for a 721, do it. The 721 (and 921) were very troublesome machines and are really outdated. You will be a lot happier with a 522.

Brad

read some of the threads about the lawsuit with Tivo for your answer.

Ahhh, the lawsuit. I guess I just found it strange that it applied to the 721 after they programmed a work around. Also, I wasn't clear exactly what the 721 did that the 508 didn't do. I guess it was a feature that I didn't know existed.

Last edited:
Did they offer to waive the DVR fee for the replacement receiver?

No :mad: I tried and I also complained that I had 3 remotes for my 721. (I didn't know if they could be re-used or not) But, it seems they have you where the want you. A free replacement receiver w/ DVR fee or nothing and your 721 becomes a paper weight anyways. I wisely opted for the free receiver. I also found that extra remotes are pretty cheap.

IDIOT ALERT: Here's the worse part. Half way through the conversation, I realized she was sending me a HD receiver instead, and when I asked a question she realized her mistake :eek:

Last edited:
No, they're not going to offer to waive the DVR fee simply because no other company offers a fee-less dual tuner DVR anymore either...

The reason they are targetting 721s is this is the receiver that was first released with the software that Tivo is claiming patent infringement on....

921 & 942s were also affected by the TiVo decision. They have become boat anchors and people are still paying top dollar on Ebay for them.

I loved my 721 when I had it! I had absolutely no trouble with it. If it wasn't that I got a 622 from Dishstore I would still have that one! Too bad they are being yanked from the market.

See ya
Tony

You need to call back

No :mad: I tried and I also complained that I had 3 remotes for my 721. (I didn't know if they could be re-used or not) But, it seems they have you where the want you. A free replacement receiver w/ DVR fee or nothing and your 721 becomes a paper weight anyways. I wisely opted for the free receiver. I also found that extra remotes are pretty cheap.

IDIOT ALERT: Here's the worse part. Half way through the conversation, I realized she was sending me a HD receiver instead, and when I asked a question she realized her mistake :eek:

When you replace a 721 with a 522 because the company is phasing out the 721, they will waive the DVR Fee as well as the Phone Line Fee. You didn't have them before and will not have them in the future. Check your next bill or go online and look at future statements. If it is there, call them back. If they show up, it's because the CSR didn't use the proper promotion.

Yeah, my 921 wasn't too bad either. I know that others had bugs, but my was pretty good.

I liked having the ch 0 for the external composite input. I put a wireless camera on there and whenever the baby cried, I could check on her remotely. :D

Yeah, my 921 wasn't too bad either. I know that others had bugs, but my was pretty good.

I liked having the ch 0 for the external composite input. I put a wireless camera on there and whenever the baby cried, I could check on her remotely. :D

What a cool idea.

But couldn't you do that with a composit input on your TV?

I loved my 721 when I had it! I had absolutely no trouble with it. If it wasn't that I got a 622 from Dishstore I would still have that one! Too bad they are being yanked from the market.
I loved mine too. The only reason I deactivated it was because I replaced with with a 942 at the time.

I'm tempted to reactivate it, and get the 522 replacement, and and then mothball it until needed.
(Is the 522 replacement for the 721 owned or a lease).

I like hitting channel 0 to get access to my 522. I guess I will have to use coax cable now for a one button solution (tv/video through antenna port from one receiver to the other) or when I shop for a new tv make sure I get one that I don't have to hit tv/video/input multiple times to switch from one satellite receiver to the other. Better yet I will just sell the 522 that they give me for my 721 and only use one satellite receiver.

I don't think they allow the 721's to be activated anymore.

I am also wondering if the 522 replacement we are getting is going to be leased or owned. If it is leased then this will be UNACCEPTABLE and I will IMMEDIATELY contact my Attorney General's Office and file a complaint and probably go with DirecTv next year once my annual service is up. I already got burned as a retailer and will NOT get burned as a customer like this and nobody else should either.

I paid for an OWNED receiver NOT a leased one. I also like the faster EPG on the 721 and the fact that I do not have a DVR fee each month. That is why I kept it on my account. In addition I like the look and feel of it although I did not like the slowness of the signal strength screen and a few other things about it. It also no longer works with my local channels so I had to record all local channel content on my 522. I would rather have a 625 due to 150 hours of storage instead of 100.

When you replace a 721 with a 522 because the company is phasing out the 721, they will waive the DVR Fee as well as the Phone Line Fee. You didn't have them before and will not have them in the future. Check your next bill or go online and look at future statements. If it is there, call them back. If they show up, it's because the CSR didn't use the proper promotion.

I have NOT received a letter on mine, either...
I really hope this IS true, because I BS I should need to pay these fees, just because of this lawsuit. I have had ZERO problems with my 721 (been on a UPS since day 1) & shouldn't have to pay $11 MORE a month, just to swap to ANOTHER SD DVR. (don't have a phone line to connect to)

If this is the case, I'd just as soon put 2 508's in it's place, as I'd still be saving the DVR fee, but it's still BS anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)