Why is Dish unable to fix skip commercials feature with recorded shows>

sktrus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Ken ta kee
This one is really annoying me a lot lately :mad: . It has been going on who knows how long! I am hoping either some intelligent member will show me how to solve this or Dish employees will read it and inform their software engineers.

I record a lot and delete them after watching them. One particular folder (The Andy Griffith show) is a nightmare to deal with it. These are the reruns originally broadcasted in mid or late 1960's. The episode starts fine. When it breaks for commercials (recorded from oat metv) I try slow skip, 15X, 60X. It always goes to the end or the beginning. Then, I try to rewind with different speeds. That does not work either! I am just puzzled. it used to be fine few years ago.

Why is this a problem? Are oat (over the air antenna) recordings different somehow? Is there a software bug that Dish can not get rid of? Is it a Hopper 3 problem? The leased Hopper 3 I have been using was brand new when Dish installer came few years ago.

I realize there are more important problems some subscribers are dealing with. I just want to be a happy user. That's all.
Thanks for letting me pouring my frustration here. G'day.

I try slow skip, 15X, 60X. It always goes to the end or the beginning. Then, I try to rewind with different speeds.
I almost never use the various speeds to skip. I just hit (quick press, don't hold it down) the right arrow button to skip 30 seconds a few times until I get back to the program, if too far, I hit the left arrow button to go back 10 seconds. What happens when you do it this way?

You can also stack the 30 sec skips by hitting the skip ahead button multiple times. For example, when NBC news says we will be back in 60 seconds I hit the skip ahead button twice giving a one minute skip which works perfectly. For some shows I will stack 4 or 5 to give me 2 or 2.5 minute skips.
I only use the fast forward when I am watching some sports such as baseball or soccer. Of course I really miss the 4X fast forward speed. I wish Dish would bring the 4X speed back. Even if they replace the 15X with 4X that would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Agree about stacking, I use it that way all the time. Truly one of my favorite and most used Hopper 3 features. And that's one of the great things when the program tells you exactly when they'll be back!

I spend some time at another place that has Comcast cable, which does not have the +30/-10sec skip function. I pretty much hate having to watch everything in between when trying to skip, and I immediately miss the way it's implemented on the Hopper.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I tried with remote 52 fast forward button to advance 30 seconds. Same show, another episode. Quick touch. I did it four times. I had to hit left arrow to go back 10 seconds. it somehow worked! I remember using this quick touch in the past and it would advance too much. I am hoping it will work again.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Would Dish replace remote 52 with a new voice controlled remote free of charge? Just like Hopper 3 and Joeys they own them and we are required to send them back if we cancel the service. Can you simply yell ( :) ) at remote to fast forward 30, 45 seconds or whatever and it does it for you?

With other recorded shows from satellite channels remote 52 quick (30 seconds) fast forward works fine. It struggles with some ota recordings. That's the reason I came up with this thread.

Last edited:
Well, I went ahead and ordered it from ebay as suggested by Altitudinous. $24.37 with tax. Do I need to wake the remote by saying Google? I have several Amazon speakers and must say the word 'Alexa'.
I hope Alexa and Google won't start fightin'.!!
;)

I currently have similar issues watching recorded material that was recorded from Dish not OTA. The skip button works ok if you only press it once or twice (or if you press it slowly multiple times, allowing a short pause between presses), but if you press it too many times, or too quickly it may skip to the end of the show or completely freak out and go to black screen. It happens more with paused live recordings, they will inevitably jump to live TV and it is very difficult to get back to where I was in the show when it was paused. I never had any of these issues with skip forward or skip backwards on my old 722.

Reactions: TheKrell
With other recorded shows from satellite channels remote 52 quick (30 seconds) fast forward works fine. It struggles with some ota recordings.
Since you mentioned Andy Griffith, I'm wondering if the problem is related to recordings in SD 4:3 format as opposed to HD, whether they are OTA or not.
I've never noticed an issue like that on my Twilight Zone recordings but I'll have to go enter another dimension and check it.

Well, I went ahead and ordered it from ebay as suggested by Altitudinous. $24.37 with tax. Do I need to wake the remote by saying Google? I have several Amazon speakers and must say the word 'Alexa'.
I hope Alexa and Google won't start fightin'.!!
;)
You could have ordered the 54 remote directly from DISH for $20.

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 8.37.19 AM.png

You could have ordered the 54 remote directly from DISH for $20.
Oh, but then you've got the shipping cost from Dish and might end up with a greasy covid-infested unit from who knows where, and it's only the 54.0 instead of the incredibly advanced 54.3 with the cool colored dots.

1627926266085.png

Oh, but then you've got the shipping cost from Dish and might end up with a greasy covid-infested unit from who knows where, and it's only the 54.0 instead of the incredibly advanced 54.3 with the cool colored dots.

View attachment 152955
They are going to send you a brand new 54 remote and it will be the latest version, 54.3 a the moment. If the OP had called Dish and mentioned that this 52 remote was having issues they probably would have sent him a 54.3 in replacement for no cost at all. Your cynicism is showing.....

Your cynicism is showing.....
Cynicism (Ancient Greek: κυνισμός) is a school of thought of ancient Greek philosophy as practiced by the Cynics (Ancient Greek: Κυνικοί; Latin: Cynici). For the Cynics, the purpose of life is to live in virtue, in agreement with nature. As reasoning creatures, people can gain happiness by rigorous training and by living in a way which is natural for themselves, rejecting all conventional desires for wealth, power, and fame. Instead, they were to lead a simple life free from all possessions.

Well, all except the phrase about "all possessions".

Thanks Bobby for letting me know that my philosophy comes through. It's what I would want.

I didn’t bother checking with Dish’s web site. I felt few dollar difference wouldn’t mean much. Also, Alti……… may have a point with 4:3 format not skipping correctly. First 5 seasons of The Andy Griffith show were not a problem at all with skipping commercials. Then, I started having issues ( skipping too far) with 6th and 7th seasons. Maybe Don Knotts who played Barney Fife and left after season 5 has something to do from up above!! What a great actor he was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)