why is it that...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sady

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Massachusetts
In this forum Dish Network always has 1000 viewers or so and Directv usually has around 250 people viewing these forums at any given time. I always thought Directv has way more subscribers than Dish Network. Just curious.

In this forum Dish Network always has 1000 viewers or so and Directv usually has around 250 people viewing these forums at any given time. I always thought Directv has way more subscribers than Dish Network. Just curious.

This comes up at least once a year .....
I would guess the DISH subs want to know what is going on with the D* side of things .....
btw, how are you determining who is a dish vs D* sub ?

Most D* people are busy discussing hat is going on with D* good or bad.

I haven;t been in the DISH forum in at least a year, that I can remember.
Maybe the DISH guys want to see what they are missing ...

Jimbo

Thanks

I really like Directv and was just curious. I am so happy to dump Charter. I had Directv 2 years ago but with no locals. The last promotion was to good to pass up. Free HD/DVR. I am a happy consumer. :)

SatelliteGuys.US was originally geared for Dish Network subscribers and alternate to DBStalk which was largely comprised of Directv subscribers. Hence the higher population of Dish people here.

Probably because Dish Network subscribers are having more problems. :)
Well more precisely, there is a lot more complaining on the other side. Just came from there. There are always threads on when and where is the HD. Not having as much HD, VOD or Sports gives more time to surf the net as well. :D
Also of course the same may be on this side of the wall but I haven't seen it, yet... there are more subs over there logging in to increase there post count. Alot of post with nothing more than an emoticon or even less substance than that. It was always frustrating trying to find the meat on the bone of a thread that was less than a day old but had 50 replies. Just my opinion of course.
That said if you have a general question not D* or E* specific; ask it over there because like I said D* subs are usually watching tv. ;)

SatelliteGuys.US was originally geared for Dish Network subscribers and alternate to DBStalk which was largely comprised of Directv subscribers. Hence the higher population of Dish people here.

Was just going to post that. I think there was a similar thread on DBSTalk recently that was exactly the opposite, why where the Dish forums there so quiet and the DirecTV forums very busy.

It's just that at this time Satguys is the main place for Dish Network talk and DBSTalk is the main place for DirecTV talk. Not to say both don't cater to the other but it's just where the main traffic goes.

So whereas this is a Directv Forum on this basically Dish Site....I have a question about the D* dvrs. Is it true there is no 30 second skip button to skip over the commercials when playing back a recorded show?

I am thinking of making the switch over to D* to get all my locals, my rsns and baseball fix (YES and mlb net) in HD. Something that will probably never happen here on Dish.

So whereas this is a Directv Forum on this basically Dish Site....I have a question about the D* dvrs. Is it true there is no 30 second skip button to skip over the commercials when playing back a recorded show?

I am thinking of making the switch over to D* to get all my locals, my rsns and baseball fix (YES and mlb net) in HD. Something that will probably never happen here on Dish.
D* has 30sec skip and 30sec slip (you see the ff action while it skips).

To access the 30 second skip function you have to go into the search function, choose keyword search and enter "30SKIP" as the search keyword. Once the search is executed you won't get any results back, but the 30 second skip will be enabled. If you want to go back to the 30 second slip, search "30SLIP"

Note that this will only work on HR20, HR21, HR22 and R22 boxes. It doesn't work on the R15 and R16 boxes.

Mr Charlie Ergen claims his dvrs are the only ones that have that feature.

How about a delay while switching channels on the HD DVRS?
yes there is a delay, its just like your computer... it delays when you tell it a command... thats what the recievers are... computers

The first few days I noticed a definite speed difference from the 622 I had with DISH and the HR22's I have now. Now I don't notice any speed difference in changing channels but the guide and menus can be described as a little slower than E*'s but not to deter anyone from making the switch. I remember the switch from analog cable to digital sat and thinking the black screen that pops up between channel changes being bad. Now it's nothing.
I have no regrets. The 622 is rock solid because it never gets updated. The HR22 has a feature I have been begging E* for for years; a way to change the default recording action. The Free HD VOD is great also. D* does not have the option for descending channel order in guide view (that is taking some getting used to). And not being able to hide all the crappy channels in the All Channel view are my only hurdles now. My thumb is still learning the remote layout for lights out surfing.
I would recommend the switch to anyone except my mom (because I would be who she calls). E* is adding BET Jazz-HD today so that may be enough to keep you where you are. :rolleyes: If E* keeps adding all of D*'s HD channels a year later, I still made the right choice not to mention all the money I am saving for the next 2 years. April 1st will be very telling for E* when the viacom channels get added; if they don't go in the turbo packs, I see a lot of subs leaving for the true hd leader.

LOL. Pretty much every DVR has some sort of 30 sec skip feature.

Yes, just like on any receiver from any company. Usually 2-3 seconds but may be quicker or slower depending on various settings you have and if you use HDMI or not and how well your TV's HDMI syncs. Lot of variables involved.

... Usually 2-3 seconds but may be quicker or slower depending on various settings you have and if you use HDMI or not and how well your TV's HDMI syncs. Lot of variables involved.
HDMI doesn't play any speed role unless you have Video Resolution Pass-thru enabled. By choosing 1080i or 720p in the menu this point would be moot.

HDMI doesn't play any speed role unless you have Video Resolution Pass-thru enabled. By choosing 1080i or 720p in the menu this point would be moot.

HDMI handshaking does indeed play a speed role in channel changes, or at least seeing them on the screen. Many a person has had 8 second channel changes using HDMI and goes down to 3 seconds with component without changing any settings. It only comes into play on TVs with bad HDMI handshaking, usually it's not talking properly to the receiver. Many threads on DBSTalk, in the early days especially, on this. I'm sure there were some here as well.

E* is adding BET Jazz-HD today so that may be enough to keep you where you are. :rolleyes: If E* keeps adding all of D*'s HD channels a year later, I still made the right choice not to mention all the money I am saving for the next 2 years. April 1st will be very telling for E* when the viacom channels get added; if they don't go in the turbo packs, I see a lot of subs leaving for the true hd leader.

Unfortunately E* is not adding the channels they need to keep me. I am tired of watching my hockey team's games (Buffalo Sabres games are produced by MSG) in over compressed sd, and that is main reason I will be leaving. Also the ability to get the YES network to see the Yankees, the new MLB Network and the even the ABC Affiliate in Buffalo in HD, whereas E* supposedly doesn't have an agreement to retransmit the HD version; are all factoring into this decision.

I was already to switch to D* last october, Even had a install date. When I called to cancel E*, their retention department talked me out of it with a $15 credit for 12 months, and no further committment on my part. So basically, my NHLCI Subscription ended up being free and that is why I stayed. However in reality, it really wasn't free, because I had to watch another season of Buffalo Hockey in over compressed SD on E*.

HDMI handshaking does indeed play a speed role in channel changes, or at least seeing them on the screen. Many a person has had 8 second channel changes using HDMI and goes down to 3 seconds with component without changing any settings. It only comes into play on TVs with bad HDMI handshaking, usually it's not talking properly to the receiver. Many threads on DBSTalk, in the early days especially, on this. I'm sure there were some here as well.
I am a little confused on why there are many post on turning pass-through OFF to speed up channel changes then. I see how changing from a 720p channel to a 1080i or 480p makes the hr2x have to rehandshake. But when forcing 1080i on the receiver, if the guide or miniguide stays on the sceen the whole time when changing channels how is there a handshake going on?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)