why is it that...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Unfortunately E* is not adding the channels they need to keep me. I am tired of watching my hockey team's games (Buffalo Sabres games are produced by MSG) in over compressed sd, and that is main reason I will be leaving. Also the ability to get the YES network to see the Yankees, the new MLB Network and the even the ABC Affiliate in Buffalo in HD, whereas E* supposedly doesn't have an agreement to retransmit the HD version; are all factoring into this decision.

I was already to switch to D* last october, Even had a install date. When I called to cancel E*, their retention department talked me out of it with a $15 credit for 12 months, and no further committment on my part. So basically, my NHLCI Subscription ended up being free and that is why I stayed. However in reality, it really wasn't free, because I had to watch another season of Buffalo Hockey in over compressed SD on E*.

Islandguy43 - I am in the Lake View area (HAMBURG). Made the switch to Direct in Dec. I am very happy with the switch. Sabres games in Hd (only the home games) are great. Ability to add on MLB extra innings was a big plus for me. I am really enjoying the new MLB network as well. The HD receiver is a little slower than my 622 I had with Dish, but I am getting used to it. Also, I bundled with Verizon- phone, tv, and internet and am saving about $45 per month. PM me if you have any questions.

Islandguy43 - I am in the Lake View area (HAMBURG). Made the switch to Direct in Dec. I am very happy with the switch. Sabres games in Hd (only the home games) are great. Ability to add on MLB extra innings was a big plus for me. I am really enjoying the new MLB network as well. The HD receiver is a little slower than my 622 I had with Dish, but I am getting used to it. Also, I bundled with Verizon- phone, tv, and internet and am saving about $45 per month. PM me if you have any questions.

Thats looks like the plan for me come late april or early may. I am gonna use the AAA Discount, that gives you $10 off for 24 months on top of the national deals, plus it will give me a hd-dvr and another hd receiver both for free.

In this forum Dish Network always has 1000 viewers or so and Directv usually has around 250 people viewing these forums at any given time. I always thought Directv has way more subscribers than Dish Network. Just curious.

It could be that all the Directv subscribers are sitting back enjoying their programming while Dish customers are figuring out how to power theirs up.

I am a little confused on why there are many post on turning pass-through OFF to speed up channel changes then. I see how changing from a 720p channel to a 1080i or 480p makes the hr2x have to rehandshake. But when forcing 1080i on the receiver, if the guide or miniguide stays on the sceen the whole time when changing channels how is there a handshake going on?

It's only a problem that I've seen when there is a bug in the firmware on the HDTV's HDMI handshaking routine. Handshaking is going on all the time, every channel or source change, no matter what. Why? DRM. It's always looking for DRM on every source or channel change. 1080p from both Dish and DirecTV use this DRM for example, as would Bluray.

Some TVs have bugs. If you have that problem there may be a firmware update to fix the HDMI bug on the TV. If not then you can play with various settings on the DirecTV receiver to help. Or go component.

It's only a problem that I've seen when there is a bug in the firmware on the HDTV's HDMI handshaking routine. Handshaking is going on all the time, every channel or source change, no matter what. Why? DRM. It's always looking for DRM on every source or channel change. 1080p from both Dish and DirecTV use this DRM for example, as would Bluray.

Some TVs have bugs. If you have that problem there may be a firmware update to fix the HDMI bug on the TV. If not then you can play with various settings on the DirecTV receiver to help. Or go component.
Still don't buy it. If the screen was going black due to the tv trying to negotiate I could see it. But if the STB has established a connection at a certain resolution and the guide is on the screen the whole time you are switching channels I don't think there is any further handshaking going on. I could be wrong. I would also think the DRM would be handled by the STB since one could easily bypass any DRM check done by the TV with component cables.
It just doesn't make sense that HDMI would be slower for anyone (old tv or not) if their box is forcing 1080i compared to a set of component cables.

Still don't buy it. If the screen was going black due to the tv trying to negotiate I could see it. But if the STB has established a connection at a certain resolution and the guide is on the screen the whole time you are switching channels I don't think there is any further handshaking going on. I could be wrong. I would also think the DRM would be handled by the STB since one could easily bypass any DRM check done by the TV with component cables.
It just doesn't make sense that HDMI would be slower for anyone (old tv or not) if their box is forcing 1080i compared to a set of component cables.

All I can say is that there are many posts about this and the technical nitty gritty on AVS and DBSTalk.

As for DRM, 1080p thru component doesn't work on the DirecTV receivers (or Dish)...because of DRM. You'll get a message on the STB saying it's not allowed. So you must use HDMI. But the HDMI connection on the HDTV must be HDCP compliant and at the right revision level or else the DRM will fail to handshake and you won't be able to display it. Not really an issue with newer TVs but certainly an issue with older ones. Again, this is pretty documentned on AVS and elsewhere.

Anyway...

All I can say is that there are many posts about this and the technical nitty gritty on AVS and DBSTalk.

As for DRM, 1080p thru component doesn't work on the DirecTV receivers (or Dish)...because of DRM. You'll get a message on the STB saying it's not allowed. So you must use HDMI. But the HDMI connection on the HDTV must be HDCP compliant and at the right revision level or else the DRM will fail to handshake and you won't be able to display it. Not really an issue with newer TVs but certainly an issue with older ones. Again, this is pretty documentned on AVS and elsewhere.

Anyway...
Lets leave 1080p out of it; I don't know how it got in it. :confused:
The point was made that switching channels on a D* STB could be slower using HDMI. I said the only way is if you have pass-thru enabled. Force a resolution and it is just as fast on any tv using component whether it is an old tv with buggy HDMI or not.
I think your argument got side tracked with DRM and 1080p, and failed to explain why HDMI would have to do any more work when changing channels than components would.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)