Why is my receiver doing this?

dkh7m

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
I have a Dish 381 box with a very annoying quirk. I have it hooked up to a TiVo, and every morning, it starts recording my local news via OTA antenna at 630, then switches over to CNN HN at 700. however, when it switches from OTA to satellite, i get the "acquiring satellite signal" screen for about 3 minutes, then it downloads program data for another minute or two. it never does this at any other time of day or night when i switch between satellite and OTA channels. also, my 381 box in the living room doesn't do the same thing either. any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

That is very strange...I really don't have an answer. I am pondering on it though, but I would like to :welcome you to Satelliteguys. Hopefully someone will have some input soon check back.

First check the model of receiver that you have, I know of a 301 and a 351 but I am not familliar with a 381. Try setting a timer for 6:30 on the satellite receiver so that by 7:00 it has taken care of house keeping.

First check the model of receiver that you have, I know of a 301 and a 351 but I am not familliar with a 381. Try setting a timer for 6:30 on the satellite receiver so that by 7:00 it has taken care of house keeping.
381 is rebadged 811 with ota hd only sd sat as i recall

381 is rebadged 811 with ota hd only sd sat as i recall

that is correct, it's a crippled and rebadgd 811.

i have my tivo set to record the 11pm news and the 6am news, both OTA. i thought maybe being in OTA mode for 7 hours was causing the dish to go into standby or something. but then it dawned on me that, if that were the case, my box downstairs would do the same thing. as far as i know, it never has.

as a temp fix, i reset the tivo to start recording 5 minutes early when it goes over to headline news, so that i don't miss the top stories when i wake up. i just don't want this to escalate so that every time i switch from an OTA show to a dish show, i wind up waiting 5 minutes for the box to do its thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)