Why Just 61.5 ?

The Duck

Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
British Columbia Canada
SkyAngel is an excellent vechile to share our faith & values with the rest of the world. :) So why is it then that we have restricted ourselves to just the continental USA instead of the world, :confused: I being one would love to view these programs but because of location and of course the CRTC (Canada) we can't pick the signal up :mad: But there are many out there that are restricted just because of the footprint of the bird in the 61.5 orbit. So the question is when are they going to reach out to the rest of the WORLD? :cool:

I believe SA plans for 3 satellite locations to eventually do the entire world, but it costs major $$ to build a satellite. The are supposedly working on their own satellite for 61.5. It would probably point both towards EU and USA.

Hey Duck! Thanks for posting.

The 61.5° location is a compromise location for what Sky Angel has been planning to do. Unfortunately I haven't heard plans for Canada, but 61.5° is a great location for South America, Western Africa and Western Europe.

The plans as the late Mr. Johnson explained them were to launch a satellite to cover South America first. Then cover Africa and then launch their own satellite to cover North America.

Unfortunately, like all organizations of this type, money is a serious problem. They have not been able to construct and launch a satellite yet! With the Echostar 3 lease deal expiring in less than 5 years, they need to get a move-on.

Fortunately for SA* Dish really wants those 6 transponders they get out of the deal so SA* may be okay for a while at least in the US.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts