Why no Madden 09' talk???

Just rented the game and I have to say madden isnt as fun as it used to be.

First off, the last time I played was 07 and now the new version is just lame. I have noticed the amount of int's everyone is talking about. Which is ridiculous to say the least.

The reason I never got into the 08 version was the fact that you couldnt change the camera view. I used to love the late 90's versions on ps1 with the blimp cam. Not that I want that cam now, but I do like to back it up some. Maybe i am in the minority but that was the best. I cant believe the newer versions have such limited camera view options.

Also, who would want to spend 60 dollars on a game that you cant even change the controller layout? 07 had one option in the controller layouts to use "madden 2005" controls. Why? Because they were the best. I am so used to playing with that controller layout, I have a hard time with where the buttons are mapped now. What kind of crap game (especially a sports game) doesnt allow you to change the controller layout?

Other crap:
1: Too much time between plays, with the replays and other crap. At the very least, pressing "x" should cycle you through it faster. but really you should be able to turn all that garbage off. I want to play a football game, not see replays and stats and crap like I am actually watching an NFL game.

2: When your on defense, the computer never gives you enough time to set up on defense/call audibles. Or, for that matter, let you change to the guy you want to control. Plus why did they change from "o" cycles one way and "x" the other way through the players to only using "o" to cycle one way?

3: defensive sacks are hard to come by, at least in the limited games I played in. One game I blitzed 17 times in a 5 min quarter game. Anyone want to guess how many sacks I had? Thats right folks, ZERO. WTF is that?

4: Im sure there is other stuff im forgetting but thats my quick list.

And btw, I love the series and always have. I been playing madden since the genesis days and have loved it. So, im not some basher here. I just think madden games have gotten worse and worse recently. I rented it in hopes I would like it because I really wanted to buy it, but I just cant.

I love the online league which is something they have been missing for a long time...I kept 2k5 for a long time because of the online leagues....now if you get into a league with no cheaters or hackers or well yall know. then you can have a GREAT TIME....

Matter of fact anyone interest in setting up a SatGuys.us league????

Does the new Madden have create-a-player option?

Yes it does....

Actually, that is how you can get 100 gamerpoints on the 360 version...

For 50 pts., got to create a player, and make the first name John, and the last name Madden..... Once you save it to any roster, you get a "Now Here's A Guy" achievement....

For another 50, You have to create a player, last name Jackson, First name Bones, AND make him a member of the Chicago team. Once you save it, you unlock a "Midway Monster" achievement......

You can see it on one of the XBox Minute windows for the next few days, if you need them to hold your hand better throughthe process (on the main blade, the choice above your mail indicator .....

Another bad game . I can't believe they can't make a good football game. 2k5 gave you the feeling of really playing the game. Even the NCAA games give you that feeling. Madden 09 is just as bad as 08 .

Another bad game . I can't believe they can't make a good football game. 2k5 gave you the feeling of really playing the game. Even the NCAA games give you that feeling. Madden 09 is just as bad as 08 .

I'm having fun with it, and some of the problems I don't like (progression in Franchise, CPU snap times) are being fixed by patch #2 that's in certification. To each their own, the 2k people will never be happy with a madden game.

I'm having fun with it, and some of the problems I don't like (progression in Franchise, CPU snap times) are being fixed by patch #2 that's in certification. To each their own, the 2k people will never be happy with a madden game.
Well we'd like to at least have a CHOICE as to what NFL game we play, whether it be a 2k game or not. Competition is a good thing (as our leader Scott always tells us) and the lack of competition is clearly hurting the Madden series. I played the PS3 version for like 30 minutes. It didn't impress me. I'm not ready to write it off yet. I have the 360 and Wii versions in my GF queue. Be interesting to see which one ships out first.

As much as I'm enjoying this game, I have to say that the so called *enhancements* to make the game more accessible to newbies like me, I find quite frutrating. For instance, in the Madden IQ tests, I could easily score every time in the rushing tests...giving me the maximum All Madden rating in that area. (I won't tell you how badly I rated on everything else.) Come game time at game speed, I'm getting my lunch handed to me everytime I touch the ball, and that's playing as LT for a good rushing team, the Chargers, against mediocre defenses. Fortunately, the system is gradually adapting my rating to a more reasonable level. One thing 2K's All-Pro game had in its favor for folks like me is that you could opt for a slower game speed until you get a handle on the controls.

I'm also frustrated with the so-called instruction manual that merely gives lists the controller commands. Not much help for someone creating and playing with his first franchise. Anyone know where free tips are available? A lot of things I found online seem to require a subscription. Thanks!

Ya, but people are delusional to say that the game doesn't get updated and changed. Even EA has acknowledged this is a large growing misconception and put out some video combating it:

Gametrailers.com - Madden NFL 09 - EA's 08 vs 09 Comparison

Competition would be nice, but thinking 2k would put out a better product by default is stupid. With competition maybe we'd have an online franchise by now, I am hoping NCAA's foray into it will teach them some lessons about how to go about it with Madden next year. If Madden 2010 comes out and it's still missing it, then I'll be screaming bloody murder along with the rest of the haters.

I'm also frustrated with the so-called instruction manual that merely gives lists the controller commands. Not much help for someone creating and playing with his first franchise. Anyone know where free tips are available? A lot of things I found online seem to require a subscription. Thanks!

Heh, I have this problem with basketball and baseball games. I don't love those sports, but am enamored by the deep franchise opportunities they provide. The problem I have is I don't know the intricacies of running a MLB or NBA franchise, and to be honest don't know stupid stuff like when/why to move a player up fro AA/AAA, the difference between a Guard and Forward (i finished writing the rest of this before i could think of another position) a whatever else in the NBA, and as a result don't really know how to scout/trade/etc properly and there's no handholding at all.

With the NCAA games I was able to kinda figure it out. Even Head Coach 09 does a ton of handholding. At least with NFL it's pretty straightforward if you know what position is what.

Get the 2k5 or even the 2k8 football game. They are both much better then any Madden game. 2k8 plays really good. I made my old high school team on that game.

Last edited:
Ya, but people are delusional to say that the game doesn't get updated and changed. Even EA has acknowledged this is a large growing misconception and put out some video combating it:

Gametrailers.com - Madden NFL 09 - EA's 08 vs 09 Comparison

Competition would be nice, but thinking 2k would put out a better product by default is stupid. With competition maybe we'd have an online franchise by now, I am hoping NCAA's foray into it will teach them some lessons about how to go about it with Madden next year. If Madden 2010 comes out and it's still missing it, then I'll be screaming bloody murder along with the rest of the haters.
No one said that 2k would automatically be better, but it's OBVIOUS that EA feels no incentive to drastically change the series or improve upon it. The 2k games broke a lot of new ground and it constantly felt like Madden was playing catch up. Rather than keep fighting the good fight, EA just changed the rules and made it so 2k could not compete anymore, nor could anyone else, even though Madden's sales were still comfortably higher than 2k. That would be like if a sports champion made a rule that no one could challenge him for the belt anymore.

To be fair, there isn't much more that can be done in terms of new content for these games. After all, the Madden series is 20 years old, and after a while there's only so many things you can play with and tweak.

My main issue with how EA is doing the Madden series is that they really haven't done much to "bring you in" to the game like the last 2k game did. 2k5 had GREAT ESPN integration with all the music, graphics, and styling of ESPN. They'd show highlights of other games, you got injury reports, just stuff that really tried to blur the videogame line. I especially liked the custom soundtrack integration of the Xbox version, where you could have anything you want play during intros, kickoff, sacks, touchdowns, etc. They even had a first-person view mode, which was very innovative and showed much promise. One could argue that all the things I mentioned are just presentational and don't necessarily make a game good. While that is true, it can also make something already great even better. I think every sports game developer would say that their main goal is to create a game that doesn't make you feel like you're just playing a game, but getting as close to emulating the sport experience as possible. I feel that at the time, and still in many ways currently, NFL 2k5 is as close to the full NFL experience that you could get. If Madden starts doing that, then I'll gladly accept it more.

FYI Mayo 3 Interceptions vs Marvin Harrison, since when Mayo outruns speedy WR's?

This game D guys are on steroids, and seems like all of the players on the field are wearing Air Jordan's.

This game D guys are on steroids, and seems like all of the players on the field are wearing Air Jordan's.
I remember on the old Madden 95 or 96 for the PC, I had Deion Sanders on my kicking team. Because they made him so fast I would send him out and he would dart past everyone like he was Usain Bolt in the Olympics and he'd hit the returner right when he got the ball and would constantly fumble it, allowing me to get an easy turnover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)