Why no thread on the HUGE VOD freeze problem?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
This is my home site. However I was shocked when noone seemed to understand my huge problem with my Hr20 and now replacement Hr21 locking up multiple times per day when VOD used.

I searched and found PAGES of complaints about this problem on Dbstalk. Here is what I have found.

First off my problem,
About a month ago my HR20 started to completely lock up a few times per day. Remote would not work, could not push buttons on receiver. Have to do a power or red button reset and wait for search for sats ect to bring box back to life.

Frustrated I called DTV. They sent me a replacement HR21 First day using this new box did the same thing WTH!!!

I searched here and found no posts on subject. My R15's working fine.

So I go to Dbstalk and find its a huge problem that started with the First May software upgrade.

Seems if you have your box plugged into a access point or some routers to use wireless at your box. (I use a Buffalo W54 Wireless router in Access point mode at my box and it has always worked) The new software was glitching many boxes and causing this freeze.'

So I called DTV and they transfered me to lead tech in internet VOD dept. He as awesome. He readily admitted it was a big know issue and they were working on it. He said that with the newest software the box was sensing wireless while recording to hard drive or watching stored program and locking up box.

He said it would be taken care of the end of May softward 30 upgrade he thought.

Well I unplugged my wireless at back of Hr21 and had no lockups for a week.

Then a few days ago I plugged back in the wireless as I see my box took latest 30 upgrade. Started watching recorded program and Walla, BOX FREEZE again!

So new software did not fix.

The Tech and DBStalk state that is a problem with Hr20-21 and does not effect all routers but many are effected.

Hope this helps some of you that may be haveing same freeze problem.
Hope they fix it soon.

However like Tech said. VOD is in beta mode and still buggy.

Iceshark - I'm sorry nobody had posted on the issue, I haven't had any trouble with my router and hadn't noticed a significant amount of posts on it elsewhere.

You may want to try the latest CE download tonight and see if they have made any progress, the CE program is testing software they are preparing for release - to fix things like yours. I did not notice anything specific to your problem in the notes tonight for any of the receivers, but that doesn't mean they haven't been working on it.

The link is in my signature if you are interested.

This is my home site. However I was shocked when noone seemed to understand my huge problem with my Hr20 and now replacement Hr21 locking up multiple times per day when VOD used.

I searched and found PAGES of complaints about this problem on Dbstalk. Here is what I have found.

First off my problem,
About a month ago my HR20 started to completely lock up a few times per day. Remote would not work, could not push buttons on receiver. Have to do a power or red button reset and wait for search for sats ect to bring box back to life.

Frustrated I called DTV. They sent me a replacement HR21 First day using this new box did the same thing WTH!!!

I searched here and found no posts on subject. My R15's working fine.

So I go to Dbstalk and find its a huge problem that started with the First May software upgrade.

Seems if you have your box plugged into a access point or some routers to use wireless at your box. (I use a Buffalo W54 Wireless router in Access point mode at my box and it has always worked) The new software was glitching many boxes and causing this freeze.'

So I called DTV and they transfered me to lead tech in internet VOD dept. He as awesome. He readily admitted it was a big know issue and they were working on it. He said that with the newest software the box was sensing wireless while recording to hard drive or watching stored program and locking up box.

He said it would be taken care of the end of May softward 30 upgrade he thought.

Well I unplugged my wireless at back of Hr21 and had no lockups for a week.

Then a few days ago I plugged back in the wireless as I see my box took latest 30 upgrade. Started watching recorded program and Walla, BOX FREEZE again!

So new software did not fix.

The Tech and DBStalk state that is a problem with Hr20-21 and does not effect all routers but many are effected.

Hope this helps some of you that may be haveing same freeze problem.
Hope they fix it soon.

However like Tech said. VOD is in beta mode and still buggy.

If I am not mistaken wireless isn't truly supported for VOD anyway. While it may works it not recommended.

If I am not mistaken wireless isn't truly supported for VOD anyway. While it may works it not recommended.

Actually the tech said the access point can be wired or wireless and that is not the problem. My static IP (I am network experianced) is not the problem. Its a voltage spike according to the tech with some routers.

I will try the download Jason. Thanks!!

Did CE download last night and just for grins and giggles changed my static IP address and disconnected my Replay, Wii and 360 from wireless router. about an hour into watching a recorded program receiver locks up again.

Then I restart and go to bed. Wake up and my receiver had locked up again 2 hours later.

Unplugged Network cable this morning and has not locked up since.!!!

This is getting very old!

Wish they would fix it!

Dont know what to tell you dude if this has been a widespread issue. It would have been posted here. Im not having any issue with vod whatsoever.

Seems to be an 11 page thread on Dbstalk. Guess more VOD people over there or maybe just lucky here. Its an admitted problem by DTV too. Guess I am out of luck until they fix it.

The only issue I have with my Hr20 freezeing up is if the power goes out and Receiver starts to reboot,If Ethernet is connected the receiver will not start back up . It freezes. Then I have to restart it again with Ethernet unplugged.

Seems to be an 11 page thread on Dbstalk. Guess more VOD people over there or maybe just lucky here. Its an admitted problem by DTV too. Guess I am out of luck until they fix it.

Honestly if you look real close; page number counts don't really mean much; you can have a handful of the same users posting over and over and over again; with yeps, nopes, me toos and such or simply answering or re-asking each other's questions. It really isn't that widespread; you likely have something specifically defective with yours or simply some odd setup issue that might be impossible to find, maybe you should try a new unit (if you have not; I did not re-read the thread again)

This is the second unit An 21 replacing a 20.

Currently I just switched out my routers around the house to see if this could be cause.

you use more than one router at the same time?

No, I only have one of my Buffalos located at my PC as a DCHP router enabled. The others are correctly set to be Access points only. I can switch them around and change an access point back to a router and visa versa.

Hello all... I'm new to the site and was also surprised to see no discussion around the freezing issues I've been working thru with my HR20-700 since late April / early May.

I'm hoping it's fixed now (no complaints from the wife - it's her TV), but this is how things have worked out.

1 - my HR20 was never connected to my network. Lock-ups seemed happen largely when playing back content recorded on the hard drive.

2 - a couple of calls to Direct and they suggested a "special RBR" where you hold the power button down for 5-10 sec after pressing the red reset button. ...claimed this was solving a good number of lock-up complaints. (not mine)

3 - finally a service call (I have the service package). The tech installed yet another SW upgrade. This reduced (seemingly) the frequency of lock-ups, but also did not eliminate the problem entirely.

4 - the final straw... called Direct and threatened to move to Dish! They shipped me a replacement HR20-700 which I swapped out. they gave me 3 months of movie channels as well.

So far (about 2-1/2 weeks now) things have been working fine, but I can only surmise some hardware issue with "older HR20's" that only expressed itself with the SW release in early May.

not a great deal to go on, but that's my story!

I have the exact same issues on my HR20 AND HR21s. Even use Buffalo wireless stations also :). I unplugged them from the internet and everything went back to normal. Plugged one in yesterday, and 3 hours later it was locked solid.

I have the exact same issues on my HR20 AND HR21s. Even use Buffalo wireless stations also :). I unplugged them from the internet and everything went back to normal. Plugged one in yesterday, and 3 hours later it was locked solid.

Me too. I have tried everything. Moved units hard resets. Called back tech and he said its a known problem since May 7th software download. He said it is effecting some and not others. He said that Dlink and Buffalo seem to be the main 2 routers effected. Suprised lots here not having problem. Many on DBS talk are having it. Mine seem to lock up in about 3 hours of viewing or less then an hour if watching DVR recorded programing. It will stutter a few times then lock up. FUnny as the volume still is going accuratly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)