Why no thread on the HUGE VOD freeze problem?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Tech called back today to see if I am still having issues. I told him very much so. He said it is happening to wireless routers or access points at the units. He said they router sends some kind power to the Hr box and the box then locks up.

I asked him why some are having no problems. He said it is mainly happening with older model networking routers or access points. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!

My brother is going to lend my his gaming wirless unit to try. Will report back.

I would love to see documentation on his comments (I think he's talking out of his ass); I think my D-link router has be out of production for at least a couple of years and is at least 4-5 years old at that and runs like a champ. I have had my DVRs connected both wireless and wired without issues.

If it were me I would shell out a $15 = $25 sport and some test time to run a long CAT6 cable directly to it regardless of how ugly it is to eliminate the wireless adapter and see if that does the trick or if the issue remains. Then try a different router with the direct connect CAT6 and see. If the issue remains I am betting on a faulty DVR; maybe specifically the ethernet in it. Piece by piece narrow down the trouble.

I would love to see documentation on his comments (I think he's talking out of his ass); I think my D-link router has be out of production for at least a couple of years and is at least 4-5 years old at that and runs like a champ. I have had my DVRs connected both wireless and wired without issues.

If it were me I would shell out a $15 = $25 sport and some test time to run a long CAT6 cable directly to it regardless of how ugly it is to eliminate the wireless adapter and see if that does the trick or if the issue remains. Then try a different router with the direct connect CAT6 and see. If the issue remains I am betting on a faulty DVR; maybe specifically the ethernet in it. Piece by piece narrow down the trouble.

In this case I would say he knows what he is talking about. He is the lead guy in the Internet dept. I am probably making him look bad in translation. He was very open about admitting fault and was giving me alot of tech blab that I am just trying to translate. He was adament about they know what the problem is. However they keep thinking they have found a workaround but it fails. He was very clear about a power back issue being the culprit. He asked the exact model Buffalos I was using. He asked if I hard wired to my main router does it work.

By the way I did hardwire last week to download movie for my kid and it did not lock up. I just could not leave the cables I took home from work stretched up stairs.

I am going to try the game wireless from my brother tomorrow.

It is happening to two boxes remember so it is not the DVRs. However I think it might just be easier to go buy some new routers. I just love my Buffalos as I stream video on Poopli from my replays and they are a pain to bridge with anything but Buffalos.

Will report back.

Another Replay guy here! I love my 5040's! I put in 300gig HD and they are smoking good! I dont use the Dvarchive. I am Iceshark on Poopli as well.

My Buffalos work GREAT there and I have seen all the headcaches with other networking stuff so I stick put. So you say the Dlinks work well.

Small world!

I love the DI-624 wireless router and the G820 wireless adapters; the DIR-655 is a great unit but I am waiting the the 'N' to become final standard rather that draft before jumping on-board.

REVIEW

The D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router is one of the latest Draft N routers to the market. Believe us when we say it packs a punch. It's by far the fastest 802.11n router we've tested. At $180 ($120 real world), it's also one of the most expensive. We've been reluctant to recommend Draft N routers because the spec isn't final and so far, we haven't seen the throughput speeds offered by the standard. There's no guarantee the Draft N products will comply with the final spec, so our advice for now is to wait until we see products actually based on the final spec, probably around midsummer.

* Device type: Wireless router
* Network standard: 802.11n (draft), 802.11b/g
* Bandwidth: 2.4GHz
* OSes supported: Linux; Mac OS 8.x, 9.x, X 10.x; Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP
* Security options: WEP; WPA-PSK; NAT and SPI firewalls, MAC address filtering
* Features: 4 Gigabit LAN ports; DHCP support; VPN passthrough; DDNS
* Notable design features: none
* Support: One-year warranty; 24-7 toll-free phone support; e-mail support form; FAQs; knowledge base; driver and software downloads

Combined with the D-Link Xtreme N Notebook Adapter, we saw the best throughput speeds to date for any router tested here at CNET Labs. Ready for the numbers? In our 10-foot maximum throughput test conducted with an Ixia Chariot console, the average throughput was 112.56Mbps. This is a whopping 30 to 40 points higher than most draft 802.11n routers we've tested in the past. Mixed throughput (with an 11g client) clocked in at 77.42Mbps while throughput at long range (200 feet) was 33.33Mbps.

CNET Labs maximum throughput tests (at 10 feet)
(Longer bars indicate better performance)
Throughput in Mbps
D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router
Trendnet Wireless N-Draft Router (TEW-631BRP)
Netgear WNR834B RangeMax Next Wireless-N router
Linksys WRT300N Draft N router
D-Link RangeBooster N 650 router
Linksys WRT150N Wireless-N Home Router

CNET Labs throughput tests with mixed b/g and Draft N clients (at 10 feet)
(Longer bars indicate better performance)
Throughput in Mbps
D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router
Buffalo AirStation Nfiniti router
D-Link RangeBooster N 650 router
Trendnet Wireless N-Draft Router (TEW-631BRP)
Belkin N1 Wireless Router
Linksys WRT300N Draft N router
Linksys WRT150N Wireless-N Home Router
Netgear WNR834B RangeMax Next Wireless-N router

I've never had any OD problems. I had some problems in my home theater getting my wireless gaming adapter to get online but beyond that it just works.

Tried gaming adapter and it did not freeze. So it must be like the Tech said a problem with certain routers or access points. In my case Buffalo. Buying the new model 3300 wirless N routher from Netgear. Dual band supposed to work well.

I would check into some total throughput tests/reviews before jumping into a specific make & model; and keep in mind the 'N' is still draft, not final and NOT always the best option; especially for the extra cost.

I would check into some total throughput tests/reviews before jumping into a specific make & model; and keep in mind the 'N' is still draft, not final and NOT always the best option; especially for the extra cost.

Good advice and exactly what I did. Read all Cnet reviews and PC forums. The Draft N is bogus in many routers. Most still only crowded 2.4.

They two rated best were the Linksys and Netgear Dual Banders that run at true N up and coming standard 5.0 band.

The Linksys gets rave reviews. The Netgear is just out and also getting great reviews for distance and speed.

The only reason I am going with the Netgear is that it is easily bridgeable by a simple included menu. And Netgear is claiming when standard voted in 2009 there dual band router will be upgradeable to standard format.

Its a real scam out there with the draft N routers only having 2.4

So are you buying more than one and bridging them? I have 3 Buffalos in bridged mode to cover some really dead areas in my house, so it's an expensive proposition to upgrade all of them :( Sad to see my Buffalos have to go.

So are you buying more than one and bridging them? I have 3 Buffalos in bridged mode to cover some really dead areas in my house, so it's an expensive proposition to upgrade all of them :( Sad to see my Buffalos have to go.

I currently have 2 Buffalos bridged. Had 3 but one died last year. Almost just bought one used off Ebay. However the new Netgear model I spoke of is setup to bridge with an automatic setup button. Reviews say it works well. I will miss my Buffalos too. They did good by me. However the new Buffalos dont seem to have the good reviews and ease of use.

Have you been able to confirm that the 3300 will actually bridge with itself? Or do you need to get the 1100 bridge kit? I can't find anything that says they will, just that they will not act as wireless repeaters :(

So I bought three of the 3300s. Good lesson, you can't bridge them to each other. So I returned two of them, and bought one of the bridge kits. It was a littel hard to set up, the WPS functionality just didn't work well with the push button. But using the pins worked well. So now I've been up for 96 hours with no VoD freezes, full network access, etc;

Sorry Madpoet, I have been on the road working and could have saved you that buy and return. I too bought the 3300 and the bridge set. Mine did work with push button. Also no freeze and working great. Plus I bought the usb adapter as well and my wife can use the laptop in the backyard at full power. This router rocks!

Yeah, no idea why my push button didn't work but the pin code worked fine. I need to get a USB adapter or two. I am annoyed the 3300s didn't bridge with each other because the bridge units only have 2 ports on them, so I have to hang additional switches off them to make them work the way I need.

Yeah, no idea why my push button didn't work but the pin code worked fine. I need to get a USB adapter or two. I am annoyed the 3300s didn't bridge with each other because the bridge units only have 2 ports on them, so I have to hang additional switches off them to make them work the way I need.

A poster on another PC forum claims they 3300 will bridge toghether? I could not do it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)