Why pay for radio

They call that "throwing you a bone". Cats think it is hilarious to use that metaphor.

It is amazing cats can get anything done given that they sleep on average 16 hours per day.
My cats show me lots of affection. I can't imagine my life without them now. They do plenty for me.

Why pay for radio? No stupid commercials.....they drive me nuts. I do have sat radio free on both c-band and ku-band dishes but I like Sirius as I can run it all on 12 volt both home and car and because of various channels I can’t get on the bigger dishes.

As others have said, I like SiriusXM mainly because of the content, ...and I can't stand listening to commercials! With normal radio, it is impossible to find stations like: The Tom Petty Channel, The Beatles Channel, The Grateful Dead Channel, The Phish Channel, Deep Tracks, Watercolors, Real Jazz, Bluegrass Junction, Symphony Hall, etc.

Sirius is like everything else, ...some people will think it is worth it, while others will think you're crazy for spending money on "radio that you could get for free".

As others have said, I like SiriusXM mainly because of the content, ...and I can't stand listening to commercials! With normal radio, it is impossible to find stations like: The Tom Petty Channel, The Beatles Channel, The Grateful Dead Channel, The Phish Channel, Deep Tracks, Watercolors, Real Jazz, Bluegrass Junction, Symphony Hall, etc.

Sirius is like everything else, ...some people will think it is worth it, while others will think you're crazy for spending money on "radio that you could get for free".
You can get most of those channels on internet radio.

There's a separate Beatles channel and Kiss channels that I have.
You used the term "channels" when you should have used the term "artists". You literally can't get the channels outside of SiriusXM.

You perhaps falsely assume that all you have to do to have an artist-centric channel is to play music by that artist. The closest approximation I can think of is the syndicated radio show Breakfast with the Beatles.

No stupid commercials.....they drive me nuts on crap you'll never use!!! and no searching for radio stations while traveling across country just set it and forget it!!! you can take it to other countries using an american credit card using an american VPN as well as iv'e used sxm over in germany many of times!!

Last edited:
Is it true that Germany has little to no broadcast radio?
It's been a few years, but when I was last there broadcast radio was still thriving. It's just not quite the same as here. I am a fan of the German radio station Bayern 1. You can pretty well pick it up all over southern Germany. You'll find it on different frequencies depending where you happen to be. I listen to it here via the internet.

Reactions: Foxbat
It's been a few years, but when I was last there broadcast radio was still thriving.
Apparently it is AM radio that is defunct. Looking at the Wikipedia listing, the stations seem to be mostly DAB with some FM analog and TV channels mixed in.

I was reading a story a while back about an American serviceman who was stationed in Germany that spoke of the difficulty he was having trying to pick up stations on his AM/FM radio.

It looks like Norway is 100% DAB.

Where I worked (when I got satellite radio), we had various local stations over PA speakers (changed daily). I recall 1 station played Doobie Grey's "Drift Away" about 5 times a day. (I am not exaggerating -- I counted a few days it was on.) Then, coming up on Christmas, all we heard was Christmas music -- all day!

Yes, that's what made me subscribe.

Pay radio. SXM lost me after an auto draft of $200+ for an unauthorized renew.
What really sucks is vehicles with SXM and you have to pay for another sub to use a portable radio.
What are you going to do? Sit in your SUV to listen to the specials in the evening?
And phone data caps stink too. Verizon ripped me of my Grandfathed-in unlimited data.
They swore up and down there was no more grandfathered data out there yet people all around me said it wasn't true.
My road time is spent with a USB drive loaded with tunes. My enigma2 receiver can sit on a radio station and record for hours and I renew my music on the mem stick.
I asked SXM about a tailored plan. I don't like the God channels. Stern can kiss my...you know. Country for me sucks. Hip-hop, rap, and all that crap sucks. Now I get hit with 5 buck a month deals Plus taxes. And my radio gets turned on for 2 weeks every month to try to get me to bite the hook.
And the audio quality of all the station is all over the place.
Nah.

Reactions: krynn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)