Why pay for radio

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Satellite Radio' started by Clarbear, Jul 13, 2018.

1. EarDemon

EarDemon SatelliteGuys Pro

And that’s the point. Everyone spends money on what they like. I couldn’t give a hoot about fashion. Some people need designer jeans, silky shirts and a fancy suit. Me, I don’t even own a suit, I wear Wrangler cargo pants 99% of the time because WalMart has them for cheap and they’re durable, and most of my ‘fancy’ (ie polo) shirts for work are Reebok playdrys. And that’s only because I’m a fatty and Reebok sizes tends to run slightly bigger, otherwise I’d find the cheapest thing I could get at the local WalMart.

While I find it to be a foreign concept to not have pay TV or radio, I’m sure there are many who find it strange my entire wardrobe consists for 6 pairs of cargos, 5 polo shirts and 5 t-shirts and a hoodie or two. And I'm sure there are a few fashion conscious people at work who notice that I basically wear the same thing everyday. Do I care? Nope, not the least bit.

Clarbear likes this.
  2. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

Fashion choice probably isn't a good point of reference because many have to get gussied up for their jobs or school based on dress codes (whether implicit or explicit).

Unless you're in a very unique situation, nobody is demanding that you to listen to Howard Stern or Beach Boys Radio.

3. EarDemon

EarDemon SatelliteGuys Pro

That's true. While I brought up work, that's probably because I basically wear the same stuff at work as I do at home.

I was thinking more of the people who buy $100 jeans full of rips and holes or sneakers with the name some basketball player on the box. Where as I'm the person who literally wears the same thing every day and doesn't care.

4. Nebugeater

Nebugeater SatelliteGuys Pro
    Pub Member / Supporter

There is another reason for some to subscribe. Living in a more rural area there are limited OTA radio choices compared to metro area and the subscription gives options that cannot be had otherwise.

Tampa8 likes this.
  5. kittyhas1000legs

kittyhas1000legs That's a lot of claws!
    Pub Member / Supporter

For the majority of the rural US, satellite would be a good option. When I visited New England the rental car had satellite radio... which didn't work with the heavy tree cover over some roads. FM was fine in that case. I was still disappointed in the lack of variety in the rock/metal stations on Sirius. They still seemed to each have a small selection of songs they played every day, just like FM or in-store background music.

6. Nebugeater

Nebugeater SatelliteGuys Pro
    Pub Member / Supporter

I agree that there is limited selection of some sat channels just like FM. The point I was trying to make is that if you can get the Sat reception you have MANY channels to choose from ant not just 3 or 4 like you might in some ares.... if even that.

antimoz, TheKrell and Tampa8 like this.

Separate names with a comma.

More...