Why pay for radio

Everyone here has their reasons to satellite radio and pay television and don't mind paying for it. I do respect everyone reasons for it.

As for me I had cable from Time Warner cable and for what I had it gotten to very pricey and I no longer pay for it and gotten rid of it and besides they don't carry all the local all the sub channels. The main reason why that I don't pay for the cable and radio is that I don't have the money to pay for it. And besides if I do have the money I could use the money for other things that really do need it for like fixing my home or going to a sporting events.

Like I said I respect everyone's decisions and your reasons for paying for your stuff, but as for me I am happy for not paying those things.

Thank you all for your input in why you do for paying for it.

And that’s the point. Everyone spends money on what they like. I couldn’t give a hoot about fashion. Some people need designer jeans, silky shirts and a fancy suit. Me, I don’t even own a suit, I wear Wrangler cargo pants 99% of the time because WalMart has them for cheap and they’re durable, and most of my ‘fancy’ (ie polo) shirts for work are Reebok playdrys. And that’s only because I’m a fatty and Reebok sizes tends to run slightly bigger, otherwise I’d find the cheapest thing I could get at the local WalMart.

While I find it to be a foreign concept to not have pay TV or radio, I’m sure there are many who find it strange my entire wardrobe consists for 6 pairs of cargos, 5 polo shirts and 5 t-shirts and a hoodie or two. And I'm sure there are a few fashion conscious people at work who notice that I basically wear the same thing everyday. Do I care? Nope, not the least bit.

Reactions: Clarbear
Fashion choice probably isn't a good point of reference because many have to get gussied up for their jobs or school based on dress codes (whether implicit or explicit).

Unless you're in a very unique situation, nobody is demanding that you to listen to Howard Stern or Beach Boys Radio.

That's true. While I brought up work, that's probably because I basically wear the same stuff at work as I do at home.

I was thinking more of the people who buy $100 jeans full of rips and holes or sneakers with the name some basketball player on the box. Where as I'm the person who literally wears the same thing every day and doesn't care.

There is another reason for some to subscribe. Living in a more rural area there are limited OTA radio choices compared to metro area and the subscription gives options that cannot be had otherwise.

Reactions: Tampa8
There is another reason for some to subscribe. Living in a more rural area there are limited OTA radio choices compared to metro area and the subscription gives options that cannot be had otherwise.

For the majority of the rural US, satellite would be a good option. When I visited New England the rental car had satellite radio... which didn't work with the heavy tree cover over some roads. FM was fine in that case. I was still disappointed in the lack of variety in the rock/metal stations on Sirius. They still seemed to each have a small selection of songs they played every day, just like FM or in-store background music.

For the majority of the rural US, satellite would be a good option. When I visited New England the rental car had satellite radio... which didn't work with the heavy tree cover over some roads. FM was fine in that case. I was still disappointed in the lack of variety in the rock/metal stations on Sirius. They still seemed to each have a small selection of songs they played every day, just like FM or in-store background music.

I agree that there is limited selection of some sat channels just like FM. The point I was trying to make is that if you can get the Sat reception you have MANY channels to choose from ant not just 3 or 4 like you might in some ares.... if even that.

please tell me how there free when you have to sit and listen to a bunch of BS ad's that you will never buy anything from:rolleyes:. i like sxm to because i can hear out of market sports games in my state

Reactions: TheKrell
Hello all. My thoughts of paying for radio is like paying television services. Why should myself and others want to pay for radio and television services? I personally love free over the air radio and television without paying for something that will cost money and get lots of boring stations mainly in television stations. This to me is glorified things that will a lot of money that I don't really have, and if I did I still wouldn't get it.

On my smartphone I do have iheartradio and tunedin apps which I only use the free part of the apps. I don't get the upgrade because it means I have to pay for it.

Explain to me why pay for radio and television services.
I agree to a point. It should cost less. Personally, I think the royalty fees for the performers are excessive. It just keeps going up every year.

Nothing in life is free. You either pay for something with your money or your time. See episode two of the sixth season of South Park, Asspen.

My time is valuable to me, if I'm going to listen to audio entertainment, it better damn well be entertainment, not commercials.

Same song. The actual artists get screwed.

We’re dumping SXM because of all the commercials on the comedy channels. We certainly don’t need SXM for music or news.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Same song. The actual artists get screwed.

We’re dumping SXM because of all the commercials on the comedy channels. We certainly don’t need SXM for music or news.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
My choice got much easier. I bought a new car that didn't offer SiriusXM (VW GTI)

And I'm not feeling any loss. I put a couple of thousand songs on an old iPod my kids don't want anymore, and all the good NPR stuff is available as podcasts

Reactions: Bobby
I agree to a point. It should cost less. Personally, I think the royalty fees for the performers are excessive. It just keeps going up every year.
Don't forget that broadcast radio does NOT pay performer royalties -- only composer royalties. Satellite (and perhaps the bigger streaming services) does.
That's similar to my issue with local stations charging retransmission fees to cable and satellite companies. With the Royality Fees, the artist (let's face it, many of them are performers and can only make synthesized sounds on a computer, which is music but not created or performed by an actual musician) - sorry for the diatribe.

...the artist receives little compensation for their music. Every little entity takes from them. So, the entire recording industry, with their greed, just like the locals, determined that without their product SiriusXM would not have the subscribers. I actually agree to a degree. Satellite radio couldn't continue without their content. They also profit off the music. FM doesn't, as people don't pay a licensing fee to access FM.

Now with that said, I can't stand how they continue to raise the rates. There's no need, and that's where greed comes into play. It's the recording industry that benefits off royalties, and not necessarily the artists. It's a means to offset the digital age, where albums are only bought by purists. I can't say it as good as Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkings said it. I need to find it, but if you are inclined, look up his interview on Joe Rogan's podcast.

My choice got much easier. I bought a new car that didn't offer SiriusXM (VW GTI)

And I'm not feeling any loss. I put a couple of thousand songs on an old iPod my kids don't want anymore, and all the good NPR stuff is available as podcasts
That's what I do with my FM transmitter and my cellphone. Good old Android with its expandable memory. I can fill it up with solely audio and my phone is left free for apps and pictures.

Reactions: Clarbear
That's what I do with my FM transmitter and my cellphone. Good old Android with its expandable memory. I can fill it up with solely audio and my phone is left free for apps and pictures.
I know that I have use android to download music to my phone and added some free streaming services like iheart radio and tunedin for radio besides the regular radio.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Hello all. My thoughts of paying for radio is like paying television services. Why should myself and others want to pay for radio and television services? I personally love free over the air radio and television without paying for something that will cost money and get lots of boring stations mainly in television stations. This to me is glorified things that will a lot of money that I don't really have, and if I did I still wouldn't get it.

On my smartphone I do have iheartradio and tunedin apps which I only use the free part of the apps. I don't get the upgrade because it means I have to pay for it.

Explain to me why pay for radio and television services.
If one wants more than basic content or programming exclusive to the pay type platforms then they pay for it.,
If they don't, they go with the free stuff.
"Why should I" doesn't enter into it.
The two delivery systems are not the same.
If you want premium services, you pay for them. If not, then don't pay for them. Simple

For many it comes down to choosing between what you want to listen to and what you want broken up with a bunch of ads. Ad-free content is pretty hard (thought not impossible) to come by in the free radio world so maybe it comes down to whether you want to seek the content or listen to the content.

Reactions: DWS44 and TheKrell
If one wants more than basic content or programming exclusive to the pay type platforms then they pay for it.,
If they don't, they go with the free stuff.
"Why should I" doesn't enter into it.
The two delivery systems are not the same.
If you want premium services, you pay for them. If not, then don't pay for them. Simple

For me I prefer free stuff, doesn't matter if I can afford it or not. The main reason that I don't have to pay for it is that I am financially unable to pay for it.

dishcomm stated it clearly. You get to choose. Not sure whether Clarbear is trying to justify his choice, trying to convince others to think his way, or trying to get free content without ads.

I think we all like free stuff. But, as they say, there is no such thing as a free lunch. If you want something you, or someone else, is going to have to pay for it. I believe in the philosophy of want/need. If I want something it is alright if I don’t have it. Need is an entirely different story. Everyone has their own limits of spending. Need has to come first. If there is something left, after need, want can come into play. Some will use that discretionary money to go out to eat. Others will subscribe to Sirius/XM. Yet others will do both. It all depends upon how much money there is to spend.

Reactions: Jimbo and jayn_j

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts