Why should I need to have a new 24 month commitment?

buckhdtv

Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
hello: background: Been with dish over 15 years, History: I currently have a hopper 2 in Florida on pause, up until last Nov 2016 i also had a hopper 3 in Ohio, when i went south for the winter, dish instead of putting hopper 3 on pause they just killed the service. . it was stated that you can not have a hopper 3 & hopper 2 on the same account at the same time. so upon my return to Ohio, I contacted dish, and was told the only way to get my hopper 3 back in service is to open a new account with a new 24 commitment. If this is something new , why did the dish installer tell me when he put in my hopper 2 in Florida in the winter of 2016? I have spent over 4 hours on the line with the fine csr's They can not even find my hopper 3 equipment in the database or any record of my account in Ohio as of 2 days ago. . I have had it with this process, I am leaving Dish in Ohio for a better situation, I was even told by a CSR that if the equipment is not in they database , do not return it ! Dirt Guys what are you thoughts?

Because the new switch dph42 hasn't been released yet and I don't know when that will happen if the new switch has been released or not thank you for asking the question.

Do you have 2 accounts or 1?

If they make you open another account, F them and make sure you get the discounted promotional price.

I would not open a new account without getting some type of discount off the regular rate.

Do not I repeat do not allow them to do a new account with a 2 year agreement and not get a promotional rate.

Also since your in Ohio, you probably have Time Warner/Spectrum.

If you do triple play with them they will buy our the contract with Dish up to $500

Reactions: lfp302
thanks for the reply's, currently only 1 account, in Florida, dish needs to update there processes, in this day of tech, there seems to be a penalty, for 2 geographical service locations, i am calling dish this am to get this resolved one way or another, will let you know what happensi .

hello: background: Been with dish over 15 years, History: I currently have a hopper 2 in Florida on pause, up until last Nov 2016 i also had a hopper 3 in Ohio, when i went south for the winter, dish instead of putting hopper 3 on pause they just killed the service. . it was stated that you can not have a hopper 3 & hopper 2 on the same account at the same time. so upon my return to Ohio, I contacted dish, and was told the only way to get my hopper 3 back in service is to open a new account with a new 24 commitment. If this is something new , why did the dish installer tell me when he put in my hopper 2 in Florida in the winter of 2016? I have spent over 4 hours on the line with the fine csr's They can not even find my hopper 3 equipment in the database or any record of my account in Ohio as of 2 days ago. . I have had it with this process, I am leaving Dish in Ohio for a better situation, I was even told by a CSR that if the equipment is not in they database , do not return it ! Dirt Guys what are you thoughts?

Please send mea PM with your phone number(s) and PINs so that I can review this

Because the new switch dph42 hasn't been released yet and I don't know when that will happen if the new switch has been released or not thank you for asking the question.
the switch your talking about , is for the hopper 3 and 2 to work together in the same physical location , is that correct? my situation is separate locations

Sounds like DISH may have thought you were using two locations on one account compounded by you were adding a non allowed receiver to the account.

Had you added an accepted receiver ( Second Hopper 3 or 211K) and had a local installer do the work and paid them directly there would be less problem. (I am assuming you would only be using one location at a time otherwise none of that is allowed)
If DISH paid for the Florida install (Or paid most of it) they must have thought that was going to be your service address.

Judging from your later reply you had a misunderstanding of what is allowed? Never has DISH simply allowed two geographical locations on the same account. It can be done with certain stipulations. (And note with a Hopper 3 if you add a 211K that does seem to allow a second location easier)

Reactions: rwjga
I believe that the OP stated that he would pause one location and start up the other but this time Dish closed the Ohio location instead of pausing it.

i paid for the install thru a local agent, for the install in florida, the ohio install was done by dish, they cancelled the ohio account on there own with no interaction from me .

I believe that the OP stated that he would pause one location and start up the other but this time Dish closed the Ohio location instead of pausing it.

Yep, does seem complicated and hopefully DIRT can get to whatever the real answer is. I wonder if the pause was initiated before or after the install. Also the non allowed receiver plays into it. I wonder if the account cancellation rather than pause was not a mistake by DISH but done intentionally. I just get the feeling however it was done DISH saw it as trying to use two locations on the same account in a non allowed way.

i paid for the install thru a local agent, for the install in florida, the ohio install was done by dish, they cancelled the ohio account on there own with no interaction from me .

That seems to point to the non allowed receiver being the problem I guess? Even with the Hopper 3 paused. If not for that I doubt this would have evolved to where it is.
Many have a second home and do what you did, of course only using one location at a time. (Note that technically all receivers unless a 211K apparently are supposed be at the same location whatever that location is but that is a separate issue from yours I would think since you actually pause)
At this point depending on what DIRT comes up with you certainly don't want two accounts. If you have to then pay for an install now in Ohio but it can't at this time be a Hopper 3 having the Hopper 2 on your account even paused. You may need to have the Hopper 2 taken off the account. (If DISH owns it you must return it if you own it all set)

hello, it appears that the Dirt team can not fix this problem, so i will be sending back my hopper 3 to dish and finding another option in Ohio, its sad that a company who I subbed with for 15 years can not get there act together. I will also be leaving Dish in florida ASAP, this a prime example Mr Charles has lost touch with those of us who had the old equipment back in the early days All they want is money and a 24 month commintment

I'm not all that surprised. You can't do what you were trying to do. I don't know every detail so maybe DISH could have handled things differently when the install was made in Florida. But when your account was cancelled in Ohio that should have set off alarms when it was done during an install in a different location with the same account. (Using equipment not allowed included- which I understand you may not have realized) But when you say there seems to be a penalty for two geographical locations, yes always has been unless you meet certain requirements.

You could still have what you wanted minus both a Hopper 3 and Hopper 2 on the same account.

Reactions: charlesrshell
How is this different than an RVer that travels in the winter? I did this many times, paused my receiver at home and activated my receiver in the RV. Every time I moved to another location in the winter I would call Dish and give them my new location so I could watch locals. Seems the problem is not 2 locations, but being a Hopper 3 and a Hopper 2 on the same account.

Reactions: Tampa8
Well, the OP had a good run. No other provider will do what he seeks. Cord cutting time?

Maybe. But we should have mentioned another option. Got Internet at both ends? Set up one location with a Hopper 2 or 3, and use Dish Anywhere at the other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)