Why stay with Dish Network over DirecTV??

rb8484

Original poster
May 9, 2011
Southwest Michigan
I everyone. Looking for thoughts on why I should stay with Dish Network. I have been with Dish for many years. I currently have 2 dishes on my roof, one pointing to the SW with 2 lnb's and the other pointing to the SE with only one lnb. I have a VIP722 receiver. I had canceled my HD quit some time ago, but I get my locals in HD. I have been out of contract with Dish for a while now, should I look into upgrading?? I know they dont do much for upgrades, so I was thinking of switching and getting set up with Direct with HD. I would like to get the sling player if I stay with dish, but they dont do much for us existing customers to upgrade.
I have no beefs with Dish, and if they can set me up with some upgrades for very little or no costs, I would stay with them
Let me know your thoughts!

I everyone. Looking for thoughts on why I should stay with Dish Network. I have been with Dish for many years. I currently have 2 dishes on my roof, one pointing to the SW with 2 lnb's and the other pointing to the SE with only one lnb. I have a VIP722 receiver. I had canceled my HD quit some time ago, but I get my locals in HD. I have been out of contract with Dish for a while now, should I look into upgrading?? I know they dont do much for upgrades, so I was thinking of switching and getting set up with Direct with HD. I would like to get the sling player if I stay with dish, but they dont do much for us existing customers to upgrade.
I have no beefs with Dish, and if they can set me up with some upgrades for very little or no costs, I would stay with them

If you send me a PM with your phone number or account number, I can answer any questions you have

So why did you cancel your HD? Don't you know about free HD for life? Sounds like you are in money trouble and looking for the next cheapest thing.

In your case I see no reason to stay with Dish unless they can give you a really good deal. With HD off the table, even cable would be a good option and would carry no commitment.

Go for it!
LOL go for WHICH? :D

To OP .... if you can get a deal with Direct ... where if you are unhappy with their services in the first 30 to 90 days.. I'd say all things being equal... try them.. and if you're not happy, you can drop them ...

I was happy enough with Directv before HD ... but I had a great bundle option with comcast cable.. and moved.. and so dropped directv for cable.. after a while.. I got tired of cables' BS .... and opted for Dish this time ... because one cable channel that family wanted was Nasa!

I've been on the fringe of Dish for some time now... extremely dissatisfied in their marketing, extremely dissatisfied with their ancillary offerings, and had I the financial ability ... I'd leave dish for Direct in a heart beat .. but doubt there is much difference to them now...each has a plus and minus..

Good Bye don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Ive had both more than once, if a deal is what you want, take whoever gets you the best. I like some things better about each one of them, really comes down to price and them having the programming you like. The hardware was really a wash for me, but I like the 722k with 4 tuners, and I feel the EHD archiving is the best external storage solution Ive seen.

That USB sling adapter, which allows me to easily watch on my phone, is the bees knees.

.... why? did O.P. say hey "boba your choice to stay is 'tupid" or some other reason to be unkind or not offer words of hope, support, and possibly a good list of reasons why *you* think Dish is better than Directv? or god forbid you have a link to a sticky or other thread where differences are laid out so you don't have to re-type much .. no no.. just spew mild hate pretend its cool or warranted. :facepalm x2

Wow, that was helpful...

I really don't get answers like this. No matter what type of forum you're on, answers like this are almost always from fan-boys who can hear no wrong about whichever service/product/interest they consider their precioussssssss.

The OP specifically said he's looking for thoughts and if he could get some upgrade deals he'll stay with Dish. It's not like he's telling you that you personally are providing a crap service and he's done with you. :rolleyes:

One advantage to staying is you don't have to put up with that pesky FSNHD 24/7. Seriously, I think the many different tiers offered by Dish gives you the best cost saving chances. OTA may be a choice for some. No reason to not have the HD feed since it's free.

You know what you have with dish now, so go give Dierct a try, Dish will still be there when you decide you want a change again in 2 years, and who knows, they might have something awesome by then.

I hope you love the equipment and less HD to choose from. :eek:
Well it looks like you don't want HD anyway.

Thats what this forum is all about.
Cant stand when people get nasty or over protective
about their service?

No company is perfect. We need to tell them when they do
good as well as bad.

I have both dish and direc. No shame in finding the best deal out there.
To me your best option is to work out a deal with dish.
Their customer service has been better in recent years.

To move to Direc is only an advantage if your a sports nut (like me)
Cable or Uverse/fios is another option. If they are in your area.
From time to time they have great offers.

However, in your case, Id just stay with dish.
Plus your happy with them.

Wow, that was helpful...

I really don't get answers like this. No matter what type of forum you're on, answers like this are almost always from fan-boys who can hear no wrong about whichever service/product/interest they consider their precioussssssss.

The OP specifically said he's looking for thoughts and if he could get some upgrade deals he'll stay with Dish. It's not like he's telling you that you personally are providing a crap service and he's done with you. :rolleyes:

And I don't get threads like this.

Why do I have to defend Dish??

I don't work for them so I can't offer any upgrade deals.

I am currently a Dish sub because I personally am happy with the total service they provide. If I wasn't, I would start shopping around, and already knowing what I have with Dish guess where I would go?? The DirecTV forum. The UVerse forum, etc. I would ask questions and try to find out what I can about the other providers, not look to current Dish subs for validation.

I am currently a Dish sub because I personally am happy with the total service they provide. If I wasn't, I would start shopping around, and already knowing what I have with Dish guess where I would go?? The DirecTV forum. The UVerse forum, etc. I would ask questions and try to find out what I can about the other providers, not look to current Dish subs for validation.
you're right my friend. i guess the point is, no one needs to be rude about it. thats all. op isn't being rude why should we?? its just tv. lets keep the emotions out of it for once :)

You missed the point. It's not about defending Dish, it's about someone getting a smart arse reply when they're just looking for advice . What you consider looking for validation, others consider to be asking questions (something you admitted you'd do yourself). How do you know the OP wasn't going to ask for advice in other Forums too? Or that he hasn't already spoken to people who subscribe to other services? And no-one was asking YOU personally for upgrade deals, but there's a chance that someone reading this thread has been in a similar position to the OP and can say "They did x for me, ask them about it".

I'm with Dish because they give what I want right now. Would I recommend them? Hell no, I think they're awful. I've had more than my share of problems, numerous extra charges I wasn't made aware of, dodgy receivers, many problems with hardware from Day One, not getting what I was told at sign up only to be told on the phone not to believe everything I see in their ads, "It's called marketing and isn't supposed to be taken literally" (yes, really) etc. But I've tried the alternatives and they were worse still.

call dish, tell them what you want, they worked with me when i had them and wanted to upgrade
you should be able to get free hd, with autopay

at the same time you may want to wait until the end of the year and look at the xip series of recievers

at the same time call directv and see what they offer

call your cable company too, they usually dont have a contract

you could always go to cable with no contract, then when dish calls you, and they will, you can get a deal
heck most of the time when you call to cancel you get a deal of some sort

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts