Why use in-line satellite signal meter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slim2112

Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Virginia
Gentelmen; I can't find the answer with a search, so had to ask. For an HD dish install (slimline 5) why do I need an in-line meter when the receiver has a signal strength indicator? It seems the meters which can tell which satellite is being tuned are quite expensive whereas the receiver lets me choose the transponder. If there is a posting where this is talked about, please let me know. Thank you. Slim

Gentelmen; I can't find the answer with a search, so had to ask. For an HD dish install (slimline 5) why do I need an in-line meter when the receiver has a signal strength indicator? It seems the meters which can tell which satellite is being tuned are quite expensive whereas the receiver lets me choose the transponder. If there is a posting where this is talked about, please let me know. Thank you. Slim

Not being an installer, this is conjecture: The meter in the receiver/dvr is probably not as sensitive as the "real" kind. Also, with the inline type, you can make the adjustments to the dish without having to check the receiver. It's just much easier I suspect.

For years techs did what was called "Twist & Shout" to tune the receiver and the 18" dish. The installation was designed to go in using the signal meter & volume control from the TV. Most techs had a meter but this was easy & worked fine.

As the HD equipment came along and especially after the 99 & 103 West Log launch positions came on line (about five years ago) it became important to hit not only the 101 sat and therefore the others at 110 and 119.......these two HD sats with a lower frequency that the earlier sats were invisible to all existing meters. There was even a time when techs were instructed to tune the new AT-9 (Sidecar) dish before the satellites were even launched. Read about the dithering technique..you wouldn't believe it!

Techs figured out ways to hit all the sats....gradually meters came along that would help with this but still there are onl;y a few that "see" the 99 & 103. Techs resist buying the meters because they are expensive ($400.00+). They come in handy for installations where it is difficult to hear the TV.

Directv discourages using Twist & Shout but has not been real fast to hand out meters or money for the increased complexity of the installations.

I didn't answer your question, did I?

Joe

The responses tell me I should give it try before ponying up the cash for an inline. I have the dithering technique spelled out for the 101 and 119 satellites. I'll just have to try it. Thank you for the consideration.

The responses tell me I should give it try before ponying up the cash for an inline. I have the dithering technique spelled out for the 101 and 119 satellites. I'll just have to try it. Thank you for the consideration.

Glad to help,
This may also help. Before screwing around with the dither thing...make sure the mast is plumb. Then peak the 101. Check the 119...it should be good also. Then give a small poosch west..about one degree ( right as facing the dish from behind). Check the 103...it may well be in the 90s.

KNOW THAT THERE IS QUITE A LAG BETWEEN DISH MOVEMENT AND CHANGES ON THE HD (103C) SIGNAL METER. WORK SLOWLY.

Set the tilt to as close as you can to the published numbers...then if you want to raise the 103 and lower the 99 (which you may not need)...play with the tilt as you observe the signal on the 103. Work slowly and tighten everything down when you see 90s where you need them.

Joe

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)