Why won't my antenna rotate?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Earlier some stations weren't coming in that well so I rotated it. I synchronized it a few times and also tweaked its position to get all the stations in. Now it won't move at all and it's in a bad position. There is some frost out there, but it's about 24 degrees. I'm hoping it's just frozen and that I can just wait it out and then it can go back to the position I like. I don't want to have to wait for spring to come to have somebody come out, possibly replace it, and also charge me a lot for both the rotor and the service call. Anyways guys, thoughts?

Well it could be one of several things really. Power supply not plugged in, broke control wire, etc. However, I would bet that there is water that has gotten into it somehow and has froze.

Old cheap antenna rotators, even old-school ones tend to freeze their bearings when it's below 32 degrees. Those of us old enough to have used them, do NOT rotate them in those conditions. Wait until they heat a little in the sunlight.

It's unfortunate, but it's been so since they first came out. Some are better than others though, and don't freeze as easily.

My .02 cents worth... In Alaska if you want anything to move in the winter we disassemble it, clean out all the factory grease and use synthetic grease. Problem solved.

It has been my experience that the grease used in the rotator dries out and turns to tar at low temperatures. The solution is to disassemble the rotator, remove the gears, wash the gears in solvent, and reassemble the rotator using low temperature grease.

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts