Why would D* only carry 3 of my locals in HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
Vernon, CT
I'm a little confused about why only 3 of my local channels are offered in HD from D*. At the very least I'd have expected to see the big 4, not to mention CW11 and PBS. Is it simply that they couldn't get a deal worked out with the local providers? I'm basing this on the website list since my install hasn't happened yet. Thanks!

The 4th may be in a contract dispute. What is their call sign and we can look up the parent company owner and tell you. Or try to.

As I understand PBS has asked the satellite companies to carry their full set of sub-channel s if they want to carry the main PBS channel. But the satellites only want to carry the main channel and not the sub channels.

Yes more then likely it's the station wanting more money then the others. Believe me D* would love to have all the local stations up for you.

I have NBC, CBS, and FOX in HD. I don't get ABC, CW, MyTV on my locals. ABC and CW are because the company that owns them are total a**holes as far as HD is concerned, and I honestly think that CW doesn't REALLY have an HD station, and that they just lie and say that they do, because its not even 10 miles away from me and I can't get it from OTA.

I have NBC, CBS, and FOX in HD. I don't get ABC, CW, MyTV on my locals. ABC and CW are because the company that owns them are total a**holes as far as HD is concerned, and I honestly think that CW doesn't REALLY have an HD station, and that they just lie and say that they do, because its not even 10 miles away from me and I can't get it from OTA.

You are mixing up WTXX, a CW affiliate, with WCTX, a MY9 channel. LIN owns WCTX and WTNH and will not let D* the rights to them without paying more than D* is willing to pay. LIN has done this with all of their stations all across the country. BTW, you should be able to get all three of these stations with a properly set up ota antenna.

YOUR: are you using a combo VHF/UHF antenna or a UHF make & model known to actually receive VHF well?

WTXX-DT - 20.1 - CW of WATERBURY, CT @ 30° and 13.8 miles from Cheshire, CT zip 06410 is transmitting on VHF-High freq 12. (not sure at what power level as I did not check the FCC site)

Your transmitters are also somewhat scattered about at multiple headings, although very close. I assume you get your ABC via OTA well? It is listed as VHF as well, but at the opposite heading from the CW.

Possible? I would think you should get this channel easy?

You are mixing up WTXX, a CW affiliate, with WCTX, a MY9 channel. LIN owns WCTX and WTNH and will not let D* the rights to them without paying more than D* is willing to pay. LIN has done this with all of their stations all across the country. BTW, you should be able to get all three of these stations with a properly set up ota antenna.
Right I meant to group My9 and ABC together. I can get those, but I don't understand why I can't get a signal broadcasting out of WATERBURY while I CAN get stuff coming out of Hartford. Does WTXX even HAVE anything in HD?

but I don't understand why I can't get a signal broadcasting out of WATERBURY while I CAN get stuff coming out of Hartford. Does WTXX even HAVE anything in HD?

Are you asking if they broadcast digitally or if the network itself offers any HD programming? To which the answer is YES to both.

HD on WTXX (CW):

Mondays:
Everybody Hates Chris
Aliens in America
Girlfriends
The Game

Tuesdays:
Reaper

Wednesdays:
Gossip Girl

Thursdays:
Smallville
Supernatural

Fridays:
N/A

Right I meant to group My9 and ABC together. I can get those, but I don't understand why I can't get a signal broadcasting out of WATERBURY while I CAN get stuff coming out of Hartford. Does WTXX even HAVE anything in HD?

WTXX is transmitting from Waterbury, WTXX dt is from Rattlesnake Mtn in Farmington. You (and I) are in a direct line between the Hartford and New Haven channels. I have a Channel Master 4228 pointed north. It picks up WTNH dt and WCTX dt from the back just fine, with virtually no drop outs.

YOUR: are you using a combo VHF/UHF antenna or a UHF make & model known to actually receive VHF well?

WTXX-DT - 20.1 - CW of WATERBURY, CT @ 30° and 13.8 miles from Cheshire, CT zip 06410 is transmitting on VHF-High freq 12. (not sure at what power level as I did not check the FCC site)

Your transmitters are also somewhat scattered about at multiple headings, although very close. I assume you get your ABC via OTA well? It is listed as VHF as well, but at the opposite heading from the CW.

Possible?
Here's the rundown:

WVIT and ABC/MYTV have best reception.
WFSB and WTIC have varying reception. One day its great, another day its not. They're often more sensitive than the other channels.

I can't get WTXX (14.7 miles), WEDY (12.1 miles), or WEDH (12.1 miles).

WEDY is also listed as a VHF (VHF-Lo) and 194° heading while WEDH is 30°

What make & model antenna?

Where is it installed?.. and at what aprox height?

What heading is it aimed at?

It somewhat sounds like a possible setup issue; at least to me. (for now)

Here's the rundown:

WVIT and ABC/MYTV have best reception.
WFSB and WTIC have varying reception. One day its great, another day its not. They're often more sensitive than the other channels.

Are you pointing at 30 degrees for WTXX dt? WEDY dt and WEDH dt are not on the air. WEDY dt was for a short time for testing, and WEDH dt has never been on the air. It is available via cable only, for now. Like Charper1 asked, what antenna are you using?

What make & model antenna?

Where is it installed?

What heading is it aimed at?

It somewhat sounds like a possible setup issue; at least to me. (for now)
This is my antenna

HDTVai_y.jpg

I'm not 100% sure where its pointing.. I believe its pointing to the North or Northeast. I never got a real specific direction. I basically just tested to see where I put that would give me the best reception. I've tried moving it around all over my room, but I still can't get those other missing channels. I think ONCE I got the WTXX and Spanish channels in HD, but I don't know what was done differently then, and whatever it was hasn't been repeated since apparently. I know that an outdoor or an attic antenna would work better, but the landlord isn't even thrilled with having the SlimFit monster on the roof, and also since I'll be moving out soon I doubt more crap on the roof will be beneficial.

This is my antenna

HDTVai_y.jpg

I'm not 100% sure where its pointing.. I believe its pointing to the North or Northeast. I never got a real specific direction. I basically just tested to see where I put that would give me the best reception. I've tried moving it around all over my room, but I still can't get those other missing channels. I think ONCE I got the WTXX and Spanish channels in HD, but I don't know what was done differently then, and whatever it was hasn't been repeated since apparently.

You really need to get an outside antenna setup. I would be happy to come over and help you set it up if you wish. A Channel Master 4228 will run you about $60 or so.

Ditto; I think we now see your issue; that current antenna being used is HIGHLY directional and not that great of a performer for most applications and you will have much better results with the CM4228; if you will not mount outside, at least get it UP in the attic away from possible metal and aim it. Grab you a $13 heading compass while you are at it; no tool box or home should be without one anyway.

Ditto; I think we now see your issue; that current antenna being used is HIGHLY directional and not that great of a performer for most applications and you will have much better results with the CM4228; if you will not mount outside, at least get it UP in the attic away from possible metal and aim it. Grab you a $13 heading compass while you are at it; no tool box or home should be without one anyway.
Actually I have a $17,488 compass. Its in the rear view mirror of my Toyota Camry. :p

I think I should mention that this isn't a very pressing issue for me. While it would be nice to get the PBS stations and the CW in HD, overall I'm satisfied with my HD locals. The D* now gives me a steady signal of the HD stations I had the most issues with with OTA, and the 1 main station I don't get from D* comes in fine with OTA. My main issue is that since I'll be moving out of my current place soon, it isn't really worth spending the time and money in an outdoor or attic antenna. I didn't mean to sabotage this thread with my HD issues.

I just wish my NBC broadcasted better HD. Hell even the Tonight Show is pixelated.

Actually I have a $17,488 compass. Its in the rear view mirror of my Toyota Camry. :p

I think I should mention that this isn't a very pressing issue for me. While it would be nice to get the PBS stations and the CW in HD, overall I'm satisfied with my HD locals. The D* now gives me a steady signal of the HD stations I had the most issues with with OTA, and the 1 main station I don't get from D* comes in fine with OTA. My main issue is that since I'll be moving out of my current place soon, it isn't really worth spending the time and money in an outdoor or attic antenna. I didn't mean to sabotage this thread with my HD issues.

I just wish my NBC broadcasted better HD. Hell even the Tonight Show is pixelated.

Actually, WVIT dt is VERY strong and should come in fine, even with the antenna you are using. Can you elevate it in the room?

Actually, WVIT dt is VERY strong and should come in fine, even with the antenna you are using. Can you elevate it in the room?
Oh no.. the complaint isn't with the quality of the SIGNAL (thats the only station that comes in with D* that I still use the OTA for), its with the PQ. I mean maybe there's something wrong with my TV/D*/Eyes, but I feel that WVIT has by far the WORST PQ of all the local HDs here. WVIT looks GREAT, WTNH is decent, WFSB is good; that's my rundown of the PQ of our locals.

I get ABC, NBC, and FOX in HD over Directv. For some reason CBS call letters KOIN is not available in HD niehter is my local PBS OPB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)