Not open for further replies.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Another update to the widget system happened on 1/28.

Here are some notes. Please try the widget website again, and then your receiver to test them. Let us know of any issues.

Specifically - work was done on the receivers not showing up in the widget site, so give specific feedback if you still can't access this..

-) Users up to #1751 where added
-) Improvements with identifying receivers on a persons account
-) Fixed minor UI Issues
-) Dynamic STB-Doc Images
-) Improved browser compatibility

Welcome to the Widgets Open CE Testing : AKA Widgets Testing Phase 2.

This phase of the Widget testing is available to all CE Users, that are active participants at one of the CE discussion forums.
In order to participate, you must submit your DIRECTV.COM login information to:
http://www.iamanedgecutter.com/Projects/WidgetsCE/default.aspx
For anyone that hasn't registered for widgets yet, please include your forum name on the registration - it makes it much easier for DirecTV to tie issues to receivers/accounts.

There are multiple pieces to the trial, but first some information.

-) All aspects of the widgets are classified as CE versions.
This means that the software is solid, stable, but is still being developed and enhanced.
There may be times when the website is shutdown, restarted, or just unavailable.
There also may be times when we have to clear out the head-end database. So please understand that before continuing with the trials.

-) The CE rules apply to this trial. Discussion about Widgets must remain in the CE forums as designated by the moderators of your site.
Do not contact DIRECTV customer support via any method: email, phone, forums.directv.com, snail-mail, twitter, facebook, ect about Widgets.

If you have any issues, post them in the appropriate threads on your forum site.

-) Please read all the license agreements that you will have to accept on the website. We highly recommend that you do not just “accept” them to speed up the signup process.

-) Please report issues and errors, even if you think they are small. Include as much information as possible.
Very important when reporting issues about the website, that you include your OS, Browser Software, and Browser Version (even if it is a BETA version) with any error message.
Screen shots and Videos are also very helpful, if it is difficult to express in typed word.

-) Features that you think are missing or think should be changed, should be posted in the discussion threads or in areas that your moderators dictate.

Enabling Widgets on your DVR:
Widgets are only available on the HR2* and the R2* series. (They are not available on the D1*, H2*, R*, or any other DIRECTV DVR)

You must be at a minimum software version 0x12A, but it is highly recommend that you are running the latest CE version.
See your forum FAQs on information on how to download the CE versions if you don’t know.

To enable widgets:
Keyword Search: WIDGETSON

After enabling, with a full video display (either live or playback), use the RIGHT arrow key/button to display your Widgets dock.

Accessing the Widgets User configuration pages:

Via your computer (the site is not designed for mobile access), load up the URL
http://widgets.directv.com

Use the DIRECTV.COM login that you provided when signing up, and the corresponding password to access the site.

Follow the appropriate prompts to complete your setup.

You now will have access to add Widgets to your systems.

Creating Widgets:
There are three types of widgets:
1) DIRECTV Created
2) End User Created, using the DIRECTV WDK
3) End User Created, using custom programming

Currently the WDK is not available. We are expecting to have the WDK available to the CE before Thanksgiving.
We will provide and update before Thanksgiving on the status of the WDK.

However, you can still create Widgets.
There are only a few requirements and you can create your own widgets.
1) You need to have a internet publicly accessible hosting site that accepts an HTTP request.
2) Your URL accepts parameters (if necessary) via an HTTP QUERYSTRING method: example: http://mysite.com/widget.php&myparm1=foo
3) The output of your page is an PNG image, that is 400x300
4) Your Widget content conforms to the rules you agreed to when signing up. All Widgets are subject to DIRECTV approval, before being made available.

Those are the only requirements.
You can use ANY language or technology on your website. PHP, ASP.NET, ASP Classic, JAVA, anything you want.

Again, thank you for participating in the Widgets Open CE Field Trials.
Please report any issues and feedback in the areas designated at your forum site.

#707 I have not been able to get the widgets screen to come up on either of my receivers....hr20 and hr21...i have previously reported this issue, but it is still the same after this recent update. All I get is a brief black screen when I press the right arrow

It began working for me with this refresh (previously I could log in, but the site did not recognize the HR21-700 on my account).

The RSS Feed widget is not working...

When I try to pull http://www.satelliteguys.us/external.php?forumids=17 (Which is the RSS feed for the news on our homepage)

I get the following error:

Problem

could not insert: [com.directv.daw.widgets.domain.user.UserParameter]; nested exception is org.hibernate.exception.DataException: could not insert: [com.directv.daw.widgets.domain.user.UserParameter]

Scott - I just tried a RSS widget I setup months ago (but rarely use) for local news headlines from WILX and it came right up.

The first headline is "worst winter ever" if that makes anyone feel worse.

Has the widget you setup for our homepage worked before?

what do I have to do to be able to login the widgets website? I haven't been able to log in for a long time.

Your login attempt was not successful, try again.

I am #475 and have not been able to login for the last two months, and still can't login in today with this update. I was originally able to login and currently have widgets on my HR20-100, but every time I try to login I get "Your login attempt was not successful, try again."

Steven

i'm just going to give up on this because no one can or will help. i was really enjoying this but what's the use if i can't log in. forget it.

Response Time

Trying the widgets for the first time. Thought I would download the one that lets you know the most popular programs at the time. It seems to take up to 30 seconds for the widgets to show up after I press the Right Arrow. They than slide across the screen very slowly. Once there they work fine. Is this normal?

HR21-700
HR22-100

Trying the widgets for the first time. Thought I would download the one that lets you know the most popular programs at the time. It seems to take up to 30 seconds for the widgets to show up after I press the Right Arrow. They than slide across the screen very slowly. Once there they work fine. Is this normal?

HR21-700
HR22-100

So far, all the way back to the first days, that is how it has worked.

what do I have to do to be able to login the widgets website? I haven't been able to log in for a long time.

Try using your regular D* login account name and password, don't use your email address. That's what I did, plus remember no capital letters.:)

Did you register login credentials or are you trying to use your regular DirecTV info?

i went through the whole process early and was able to log in for a good amount of time until a change was made with their website or something like that. since then I can't login. very frustrating. I am #599

Try using your regular D* login account name and password, don't use your email address. That's what I did, plus remember no capital letters.:)

my D login name is my email address. i tried to set this up again but the iamanedcutter website says this info is already being used on a current account. yeah my freakin account. thanks for the advice cyboko :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)