Wierd Win7 problem - must disable/enable devices at reboot

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
I've posted elsewhere, no answers, so I thought I would try here...

I rebooted my Win7 x64 machine the other day.

It acted funny after boot. Device manager shows about 10 usb devices and my ethernet motherboard nics (2 of them) as 'error 10, cannot start'

If I disable and reenable each one at a time, it all comes back, until the next reboot, where the problem happens again.

Anyone every seen this? Or come across a fix for it. Obviously the devices are fine, just some sort of startup timing issue

Thanks in advance

I'd start with a chipset driver update. If that doesn't work I would verify that all the proper services are set to start automatically. This will take much more than one simple post though. Also this could be a BIOS issue with Win7 that could be fixed by installing a BIOS update (flash the bios). Also if this computer didn't include Win 7 64-bit it could require that you switch from 64-bit to 32-bit operating system. Also it would help if I knew if this issue started right out of the game or if everything worked properly and suddenly stopped. Any malware could cause these types of problems along with a bad driver that might have been downloaded and installed via Windows Update. Also any major power surges that have caused the computer to shut off and boot up could cause corrupted files or other things that could cause these types of issues.

So with luck you have a tons of things to think about to get started with the troubleshooting process. These never are easy ones though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts