WiFi Hopper question

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
I'm getting HWS tomorrow. No Joeys. Only 1 TV. It's replacing a 622 and 722 that were both going to that TV. In order to use DISH Anywhere, I was using a wireless bridge behind my cabinet with a cat5 going from the bridge to each of the receivers.

There was a time, as I would add another WiFi device in the home (a Kindle or media player, for instance), one of my other devices would get knocked off. That was, however, just prior to my router dying. Now, everything works fine. I have a PC hardwired to my router/modem. Then I have the following connected via WiFi: 2 laptops, another PC, a wireless bridge with 2 DISH receivers connected to it, 2 android phones, media player, PS3, XBox 360, and occasionally a Kindle.

Since the HWS has WiFi, is there any point in keeping the bridge in my setup? The Hopper would be the only thing wired to the bridge. Does the Hopper's WiFi in any way add more burden than the bridge? Would the bridge be more reliable? I never have a problem connecting to my ViPs via DISH Anywhere.

Thanks.

Probably no point in keeping it. Test both ways and see which gets the better connection.

I had a Homeplug AV 200 set up for my 722. The Hopper's built in wireless outperformed it. My guess is that WiFi has improved greatly in the last five years.

I certainly would take the bridge out and see how it does.

I guess I'm just paranoid. I hate to mess with my wireless network when everything is working fine. I suppose taking the bridge out of the picture would technically be decreasing the amount of connected devices.

Sent from my Samsung GS3

Since I only used it for the fact of being connected, not thing more, both wifi and powerline adapter worked fine for me. I am running it off powerline now, just because I have a 4 port adapter right there that handles all my devices.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I don't see where I would need a powerline adapter. I currently have a modem/wireless router with an established network. At present, my multiple devices are connecting without issue & this includes the 2 DISH receivers I currently have connected to the wireless bridge. To me, the simplest thing would be to just take one of the cat5's that's currently going from the bridge to my soon-to-be replaced VIPs & connect it to the Hopper. But at least some of you suggest I should try eliminating the bridge & just use the Hopper 's antenna.

Sent from my Samsung GS3

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I don't see where I would need a powerline adapter. I currently have a modem/wireless router with an established network. At present, my multiple devices are connecting without issue & this includes the 2 DISH receivers I currently have connected to the wireless bridge. To me, the simplest thing would be to just take one of the cat5's that's currently going from the bridge to my soon-to-be replaced VIPs & connect it to the Hopper. But at least some of you suggest I should try eliminating the bridge & just use the Hopper 's antenna.

Sent from my Samsung GS3

I never said you needed one, I said I was using one in my situation. Wired and wireless HWS have worked fine for me, but if I have the option of wired Ill usually use it.

If you have the hard wire in place, I would use that over wireless or power line of any kind. Bound to be more reliable.
-Ken
I don't really think one would consider this "hard wired". The wireless bridge communicates with the router via WiFi. The cat5 simply connects the bridge to the component (i.e. DISH receivers, etc.). While I'm not well versed in wireless networking, I view the bridge as a glorified wireless adapter. Although it has seemed quite stable over the years. Again, while I'm not a pro, I have managed to ensure 2 desktop PCs, and 2 laptops can all view and modify each other's files as well as share one printer. The operating systems are Windows XP, 7, and 8. The only real problem I've had was when the router died. It occurred around the same time that I added a media player to the network, so I thought I'd screwed something up, but ultimately it was just a failing router.

That said, I'm leaning more to keeping the bridge intact and connecting the HWS to it. My rationale is that since the bridge is already established, there won't be a permissions issue with the HWS connected to it. I'll also have the other 3 ports on the bridge to hot swap items if ever necessary in the future.

Worst case scenario, if the HWS is dodgy with the bridge, I can switch over to the HWS's built-in WiFi at that point. But my hope is that since 2 VIPs have worked flawlessly with DISH Anywhere, the HWS will as well.

Is that sound reasoning?

I don't really think one would consider this "hard wired". The wireless bridge communicates with the router via WiFi. The cat5 simply connects the bridge to the component (i.e. DISH receivers, etc.). While I'm not well versed in wireless networking, I view the bridge as a glorified wireless adapter. Although it has seemed quite stable over the years. Again, while I'm not a pro, I have managed to ensure 2 desktop PCs, and 2 laptops can all view and modify each other's files as well as share one printer. The operating systems are Windows XP, 7, and 8. The only real problem I've had was when the router died. It occurred around the same time that I added a media player to the network, so I thought I'd screwed something up, but ultimately it was just a failing router.

That said, I'm leaning more to keeping the bridge intact and connecting the HWS to it. My rationale is that since the bridge is already established, there won't be a permissions issue with the HWS connected to it. I'll also have the other 3 ports on the bridge to hot swap items if ever necessary in the future.

Worst case scenario, if the HWS is dodgy with the bridge, I can switch over to the HWS's built-in WiFi at that point. But my hope is that since 2 VIPs have worked flawlessly with DISH Anywhere, the HWS will as well.

Is that sound reasoning?
I will CERTAINLY get blasted for this but, WHY are you worrying about problems you don't even have yet? To affirm your prior post...Yes, you are paranoid. Sorry, Man, but you have been burning through it the last few day. Let the install happen, then if you have a problem, we can talk the is, not the ifs.

Last edited:
I will CERTAINLY get blasted for this but, WHY are you worrying about problems you don't even have yet? To affirm your prior post...Yes, you are paranoid. Sorry, Man, but you have been burning through it the last few day. Let the install happen, then if you have a problem, we can talk the is, not the ifs.

You won't get blasted by me. I can't disagree with you on anything you had to say there. I know I compulse over things like this, and it's completely unwarranted and even irrational.

I'm also familiar with you on this forum and your level of tolerance. Yet I still appreciate your input and still regard your advice.

Sent from my Samsung GS3

Out with the old in with the new - you will be fine even with all those devices on the same home network, plus you can take your laptop anywhere there's internet you can get Dish anywhere. The only problems I've had with home network and Hopper/Joey was with the Joey trying to use the same IP address as one of my computers, easy fix and you aren't getting a Joey so all good. Get er done.

Cheers,
?Bob

The install is done. As expected the only hiccup was the broadband setup. The Hopper was seeing my network, but wouldn't connect. So, I took the bridge out of the picture and just let him go WiFi. Again, he could see the network (there's no security on it, so he didn't even need to enter a password). He was getting 70 on signal strength, yet it still failed. Rebooting and talking to his boss over the phone didn't help. He was about to first try hooking up his own router from his van or he was going to get another Hopper. I offered to just reboot the modem/router. Then it connected fine.

I could probably re-introduce the bridge at this point, but as long as everything is working fine, I'm going to leave it as is.

I'm up and running, thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)