Wii DVD playback should have been a no-brainer

s8ist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
We all know that Wii can read DVD discs, and has a capable graphics card and processor. What is puzzling is why there are reports that they will add DVD playback functionality in 2007 units as opposed to now by just making a software decoder. It will probably be a software solution anyway, so I don't understand why the reports suggest that the units themselves will have the capability that previous gen units will not.

Nintendo's focus as a game machine rather than an home theater unit makes sense, but the market and technology have changed to the point where if you can provide a little functionality at a very low cost (which developing a software DVD player would be), then you should just do it no questions asked. They don't have to radically change their product line-up. All they need to do is provide the download that updates the Wii.

Overall, I suppose that since everyone has a DVD player anyway, that it isn't such a huge deal, but it does make their product look crippled considering the previous and current generation of consoles were capable of this function.

The question is how many DVD players does a person need hooked up to one TV?

PS2
XBOX
XBOX360
XBOX360 HDDVD Player
Regular DVD Player.

Thats just the setup in my sons room. :)

I for one, would rather they regain focus and make them quality GAMING systems instead of all in one solutions.

Was not that big of a deal that the GameCube couldn't play DVD's or CD's.

The question is how many DVD players does a person need hooked up to one TV?

PS2
XBOX
XBOX360
XBOX360 HDDVD Player
Regular DVD Player.

Thats just the setup in my sons room. :)

I agree with Scott. I actually like buying a component (Receiver/game system, etc.) that does not include a DVD player. Too much of our electronic buying is redundant. Just think about how many ways you can all ready play music - CD/Radio/Online/MP3 player with a hard drive/USB mp3 player/clock radio/satellite tv/cable tv and the list goes on and on and on............ Back on point - the Wii looks like it will be a very entertaining video game system. No DVD player necessary.

I take it rather a no-brainer for not including it - it'd be a crippled one anyway and unless you or your kid lives in a very small manhole it makes no sense not to buy separate DVD player for $30.

You see, I would agree with the lot of you if we were discussing the Gamecube. It was a great system that only used the miniDVD discs. It was therefore impractical to include DVD playback. It would have added costs to the system manufacture, and required a completely new design (yes, I know what the Panasonic Q is. it was very expensive). It was a cost-effective solution to not include the DVD playback, but the same cannot be said now.

With this situation, we have hardware that is more than capable, and since people are writing homebrew DVD-player apps for XBox and PC, it only seems feasible that Nintendo could have included the same by putting together a small dev team ahead of time. Despite their hardcore focus on gaming, they seem to have realized this and as a result are including it in their 2007 systems. The cost of adding this function is trivial in comparison to the perceived value added.

You see, I would agree with the lot of you if we were discussing the Gamecube. It was a great system that only used the miniDVD discs. It was therefore impractical to include DVD playback. It would have added costs to the system manufacture, and required a completely new design (yes, I know what the Panasonic Q is. it was very expensive). It was a cost-effective solution to not include the DVD playback, but the same cannot be said now.

Again, it doesn't make any difference unless you CANNOT sqeeze in a small $30 DVD player into your (kid's) room.

With this situation, we have hardware that is more than capable, and since people are writing homebrew DVD-player apps for XBox and PC, it only seems feasible that Nintendo could have included the same by putting together a small dev team ahead of time. Despite their hardcore focus on gaming, they seem to have realized this and as a result are including it in their 2007 systems. The cost of adding this function is trivial in comparison to the perceived value added.

The reason is obvious: they promise it for next year because by next year they will most of their initial costs have recovered and also mfr'ing costs will go down so additional license fees - unavoidable with a DVD player - won't make the system more expensive.

I take it rather a no-brainer for not including it - it'd be a crippled one anyway and unless you or your kid lives in a very small manhole it makes no sense not to buy separate DVD player for $30.

A device that uses DVD but won't play movies so you have to buy another DVD-player device for your kids' room? It's not even a question at that point whether or not to include it. It's a feature that doesn't require a complete overhaul, and it may not be necessary but adds convenience and value to the product at very little cost. Not even Nintendo agrees with you anymore.

The Panasonic Q was quite an impressive unit.
Users are presented with two surround modes to widen normal stereo signals, a Separate subwoofer jack to utilize the 'Bass Plus' feature which deepens low frequency response for subwoofer owners. There is Optical out supporting Dolby Digital and DTS encoded signal for movies, whilst Two RCA stereo jacks allow multiple room music playback

But i agree with no DVD support to cut down the system's cost. But i think they should offer DVD playback for purchase with Wii points for those who want it.

A device that uses DVD

No, it doesn't.

FYI: Wii Optical Disc != DVD

but won't play movies so you have to buy another DVD-player device for your kids' room? It's not even a question at that point whether or not to include it. It's a feature that doesn't require a complete overhaul, and it may not be necessary but adds convenience and value to the product at very little cost.

Wrong and wrong. I just told you the reasons why they omitted this time. Cutting cost and time at launch when sacrificing nothing - great business decision.

Not even Nintendo agrees with you anymore.

On the contrary apparently they fully do hence the pushed-back introduction of this feature. Read my last comment again.

I personally don't care of the Wii does DVD playback. I already have a dedicated DVD player. I don't need another one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts