Wii for a 6 year old?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I have a daughter that will be turning 6 next month and I've been thinking about buying her a Wii. I'm just wondering if 6 years old is old enough to fully enjoy this system. I know it's designed more for kids, but are the controls for the Wii a little too complicated for a 6 year old?

I would say depends on how your daughter is mind wise.

Go for it. I've got 9, 7 and 5 year olds and they all love it. The 5-year-old started playing when he was 4. There are a few more complicated games that she might struggle to do well at, but she'll still have fun. My 5-year-old has nearly reached "pro" status on a couple of the sports games.

6 is definitely old enough... I mean, she won't play Zelda, etc, probably... but Wii Sports (comes with the system), Wii Play, Carnival Games and many others will be fine for her. Most of the games don't require anything more than pushing one button and moving the controller in a certain motion.

Absolutely. My youngest son is will be turning 6 soon. Got the Wii when he was 5. Wii Sports ( bowling ) is his fav. He also plays Carnival games, Wii play, and Mario Galaxy.

My 4 year old loves playing the wii. Granted not all games, but move of the sports ones she grasps and has a good time with.

My triplets have been playing nintendo gamecube since 4yo. Whenever we go to BB, they jump right on the Wii no problem and they are 7yo. I say go for it.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go for it. Now if I could just find one in stock somewhere.

The last couple times I was at Gamestop they had them in stock, and I think they're selling the bundles online also... you might try there first if you have one around.

When i had my Wii, my 18 month old would pick up the extra Wiimote and point it at the TV and mimic what i was doin.. I know in a couple years, I will pick a Wii up again so he can start messing with it...

He also comes home from daycare and grabs the DVR remote and starts yelling "show!"... and occasionally will even get the TV on by himself to start watching something...

He is his fathers child :)

My four year beats up my eight year old in boxing so there should be no issue with a 6 year old. The system was designed for really young and really old people. By know means is that an insult - just most people who love it are generally not true hardcore gamers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts