Wil DTV ever get LMN HD Epic 1, 2, Retro or IndiePlex?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
I keep seeing Dish have more of the HD channels I like to watch such as BBC America HD, Lifetime Movie Channel HD, TCM HD and the above -- will DTV ever carry any of these or are some exclusive to Dish ?

I keep seeing Dish have more of the HD channels I like to watch such as BBC America HD, Lifetime Movie Channel HD, TCM HD and the above -- will DTV ever carry any of these or are some exclusive to Dish ?

I would GUESS YES, but there no telling when.
They have a lot of new HD channels coming,but they don't tell you what ones till they get close to being activated.

Ever is a long time, so the answer is yes. I would say within one year. The Extra HD pack is a dud now . . they need to build that up with more channels.

Ever is a long time, so the answer is yes. I would say within one year. The Extra HD pack is a dud now . . they need to build that up with more channels.

NO, they need to do AWAY with the EXTRA package.
It's dumb to not have access to those few channels, because they don't have a SD counterpart.

I get HD NET, always have, it was the FIRST Sat HD channel that D* carried, but to get the HD Movies, I have to have a special package ?

Agree to do away with the Extra pkg--almost $1 a channel -- and It is NOT included in the Free HD for Life promo! DISH is even worse -- they charge $10 extra but have 3x as many channels including Epic 1 n 2 and the Plex series as well as Centric and MAVTV

They arent that great.

other than LMN and maybe BBC america,being a Dishnetwork subscriber I can honestly say EPIX1 and 2 arent worth the extra money as of now.The only good thing about EPIX is that its in HD.(I am in this forum as I was thinking of moving to Directv but even with all the hassles of channel disputes that Dish has ,Dish still has far more popular HD channels available,but I am still thinking of moving over to Directv as their offer is really good and can save me 30 a month for 2 years.
can anyone tell me where I can find Directvs list of HD Channels now available,I cant seem to find a complete list on their site(updated list).
I am interested in finding out if Directv carries Investigation Discovery in HD,this channel is far better that Crime and investigation in which I know direct has.
Kind of a deal breaker for me..

They arent that great.

other than LMN and maybe BBC america,being a Dishnetwork subscriber I can honestly say EPIX1 and 2 arent worth the extra money as of now.The only good thing about EPIX is that its in HD.(I am in this forum as I was thinking of moving to Directv but even with all the hassles of channel disputes that Dish has ,Dish still has far more popular HD channels available,but I am still thinking of moving over to Directv as their offer is really good and can save me 30 a month for 2 years.
can anyone tell me where I can find Directvs list of HD Channels now available,I can seem to find a complete list on their site(updated list).
I am interested in finding out if Directv carries Investigation Discovery in HD,this channel is far better that Crime and investigation in which I know direct has.
Kind of a deal breaker for me..

So, is Epix not a movie channel--it says Epix 1 and Epix 2--what is the content?

On DTV's site, if you compare the different packages you should see a side by side comparison list that you can scroll down and see which HD which package has.

They do NOT have the ID in HD. I don't watch the C & I HD channel--it is just reruns of series and nothing new. I DO watch ID, but it is not HD, so don't watch it very much.

IF you decide to go Direct, PM me for a discount number that gets $100 off your install.

I have heard the Direct HD quality is better than DISH, so I am waiting to see if they add the channels I wanted--they keep adding Pay perview Cinema channels and I can't afford PPV, so am not happy with that.

I sometimes wonder if Liberty Media or whoever owns Direct TV gets together with Charlie Egren and discusses who will carry what so they are don't compete directly. Since DTV changed ownership, new channels and HD has taken a dive.

Also, what ever happened to the VOOM channels that DISH lost? Are they all in Cable and not available anymore for satellite providers?

So, is Epix not a movie channel--it says Epix 1 and Epix 2--what is the content?
Movies... just like Starz, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and the plethora of other movie channels only from what I've seen they don't have their own original content, making them completely replaceable by Netflix/RedBox.

IF you decide to go Direct, PM me for a discount number that gets $100 off your install.
If people don't already have a referral from someone they know, it's only kosher to get a referral from the mods here.
Since DTV changed ownership, new channels and HD has taken a dive.
DirecTV has been in the process of cranking up 30-some HD channels over the last couple months. They still have a bit to go, but they are making forward progress. See: DIRECTV: Press Release: DIRECTV Extends Its HD lead With Over 160 HD Channels

Also, what ever happened to the VOOM channels that DISH lost? Are they all in Cable and not available anymore for satellite providers?
Rainbow media pretty much pulled the plug on Voom, and the channels were dropped from Cablevision a few months back. A couple channels still exist in foreign markets; OasisHD, for example, is available on Shaw in Canada.

They can't even get BBCAMERICA, G4, HISTORY iNTERNATIONAL, HLN, LIFETIME MOVIE CHANNEL, NATGEOWILD, STYLE, TCM, TRUTV, DIY, INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY, etc., just a few of the channels that DISH has had for some time, so I wouldn't expect INDIE, RETRO, etc., unless there's someone in a race car, of course!

Movies... just like Starz, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and the plethora of other movie channels only from what I've seen they don't have their own original content, making them completely replaceable by Netflix/RedBox.

Actually that's not the case. They've already shown concert and comedy specials by the likes of Eddie Izzard, Lewis Black, Janeanne Garofalo, Madonna and the Black Eyed Peas. They just shot a Kevin Smith special and they have several original series in development.

EPIX announces new TV shows in production

I loved Epix. Only chanel I really miss.

S~
I did watch Epix on DISH. One of the reasons I switched to Directv is the Smithsonian channel. Another reason is that I now have multiple HDTV sets. One more reason is locals in HD. I could go on.

Actually that's not the case. They've already shown concert and comedy specials by the likes of Eddie Izzard, Lewis Black, Janeanne Garofalo, Madonna and the Black Eyed Peas. They just shot a Kevin Smith special and they have several original series in development.

EPIX announces new TV shows in production
Yup, I watched a couple of Lewis Black specials the other night & have the Black Eyed Peas on a EHDD...

DirecTV has been in the process of cranking up 30-some HD channels over the last couple months. They still have a bit to go, but they are making forward progress.
DIRECTV has added just over 30 non-PPV HD channels in the last year, not the last two months. Not counting RSNs and Spanish language channels, the total drops down to less than 30 in two years.

DIRECTV is making dash and gasp progress, but you must not give them credit for achievements they haven't attained.

Sorry don't expect Epix from DTV unless they change their mind (maybe with the new CEO?):

DirecTV Will Pass On Epix - 2009-08-06 16:23:00 | Multichannel News

"DirecTV interim CEO Larry Hunter said that the satellite giant would likely pass on carriage of the newest premium channel, Epix, when it launches later this year.
"That's another one that I don't think you'll be seeing us being interested in," Hunter said on a conference call with analysts to discuss second-quarter results."

Direct thinks most will not pay for premium channels - that's likely why the last round of new HD channels included TWO Hallmark channels.

If you're interested in movie and learning channels in HD, Dish would be the better choice. No matter how Dish and Direct count the number of HD channels, Dish is leading in the non-sports HD channels (with few exceptions like Disney and ABCFAM HD).

It seems Direct primary focus is sports:

Direct CEO: I think we'll probably continue on the strategy that we've had as it relates to content and that is first and foremost we want to ensure we have the best sports content out there bar none. Second, that when we get great content, we always add a Direct TV twist to it. So we have a feature group with Master's or we have our stats that we have with the NBA League Pass or other things. We'll continue to look for ways to put a little twist to the content we have. And third, we're going to continue to try and provide compelling content on the 101 Network.

More With DirecTV's Michael White: An Extended Interview - 2010-07-20 21:37:06 | Multichannel News

Regarding paying extra for Epix, Palladia...
This may be the only option to get better content or more choice. Each channel will add some cost. I rather pay for 50 quality channels I can select than for 300 pre-packaged budget channels - quality over quantity. Problem is quantity sells better.

re: Movies... just like Starz, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and the plethora of other movie channels only from what I've seen they don't have their own original content, making them completely replaceable by Netflix/RedBox.

Actually to me the main reason to add HBO is for their original content: Sopranos, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Curb your Enthusiasm, Comedy specials...
I agree regarding Starz and Max - they can be replace by Netflix

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)