Wildblue Bundling with DISH--starts today, Oct 9?

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
In another thread, I thought I read that Dish bundling with Wildblue starts today, Oct 9? But, where do we find more information on this?

Dish keeps moving the date back. No surprise here.. Dish always gets antsy with things and puts out a date only to have to move it back.. I talked to my Wildblue Distributer yesterday, and he says he has heard that Dish won't be able to sell it until January. But I really don't know if there is any real truth to that. All I know is that I keep right on installing Wildblue anyway. Until Dish and DirecTV get into the business of selling it, I am going to get all I can put in without the added competition...

I already have Wildblue, so wondering when I can start getting the bundled price--either a discount on Wildblue or Dish sub?

yeah, supposedly... they still have activations shut off and last I was told it would be early November before they restart taking new activations...

CoachGibbs said:
Wildblue is junk, avoid it at all costs.

I have a over a 100 customers that would disagree... if its your only option, its not a bad one... of the 148 customers i have personally installed... I have only had 1 cancel during the 30 day trial.

birddoggy said:
I have a over a 100 customers that would disagree... if its your only option, its not a bad one... of the 148 customers i have personally installed... I have only had 1 cancel during the 30 day trial.

I think a lot depends on what beam you are on. I have it and it's horrible most of the time, especially if you like to use a router.

birddoggy said:

And I have another 100 to add to yours that love it.. I also have had only one shutoff in the 30 day period, and that was not for quality reasons. Simply because his VPN needed a 2.0 minimum connection and was just to secure to work with it. Wildblue is an impressive product for those people living outside cable and dsl areas. It just doesn't stack up to what is offered by hardwire. But for those that have been using a dialup and no hope of anything else it is wonderful to them.

CoachGibbs said:
I think a lot depends on what beam you are on. I have it and it's horrible most of the time, especially if you like to use a router.

Don't understand the router comment.. Router makes no difference in the workings of Wildblue.. I would check my router if I were you if you are having problems. Sounds like you may have a bad router. Wildblue works the same with or without a router. You are limited to whatever bandwidth you are paying for and if you are trying to use too many computers at one time you might experience a slowdown. But that is the same on any type system. Just some systems deliver more bandwidth.

skyviewmark said:
Don't understand the router comment.. Router makes no difference in the workings of Wildblue.. I would check my router if I were you if you are having problems. .
^^^^ i agree.. there is no difference in using a router or not with Wildblue. Unless some of your router settings need to be tweaked.

There are a lot of people who use routers and have problems with WB. The problems have nothing to do with the router settings and everything to do with WB. Check out the wildblue uncensored site to see what I mean. Sometimes routers work sometimes they don't.

Looks like Wildblue is closing some more beams...

Due to continued high demand for WildBlue services WildBlue will be suspending new customer orders in the following beams as outlined. WildBlue has taken this step to ensure quality service levels for current WildBlue customers in the affected beams. WildBlue plans to reopen these beams after hardware and software upgrades are implemented to the WildBlue network that will increase capacity and performance. WildBlue’s plan is to reopen these beams and others after the upgrades are complete in early December.

We appreciate your patience and cooperation regarding these suspensions and encourage you to enter as many orders as possible prior to the suspensions as those orders entered will be able to be installed after the suspensions take place. The suspensions in these beams will be relatively short -- about 30 days and we hope the disruption to your business is minimal.

c) Beams 29 (New England area) and 34 (Oklahoma area) will stop taking new orders 6pm MT, Tues Oct 24.

d) Beam 13 (Idaho/Montana area) will stop taking new orders 6pm MT, Wed Nov 8.

We are confident that this is a short term issue and will be behind us after the successful launch and activation of the 2nd satellite WILDBLUE 1. The satellite is scheduled for launch in early December and activation starting sometime in March.

skyviewmark said:
... Wildblue is an impressive product for those people living outside cable and dsl areas. It just doesn't stack up to what is offered by hardwire. But for those that have been using a dialup and no hope of anything else it is wonderful to them.
We have had WB & Dish (Bronze) at our country cabin since May. They both have worked as advertised (once the Dish was realigned to improve the signal on Sat 129 and Dish quit futzing with the 622 software). BUT...

I would NOT have installed WildBlue if there had been any hope of something better than satellite at this remote location.

Even when everything is working peachy with WildBlue (or any other 2 way satellite ISP)...
* The 1/2 sec minimum latency on EVERY internet interaction means that the lowest speed DSL beats WildBlue hands down for web browsing and general internet usage. The only place where WB is better than DSL is for large downloads. Even then. WB's growth pains make large downloads unreliable (dropped packets).

* And while losing TV during a rain may only be an inconvenience, losing your internet connection while tracking an approaching storm on NOAA radar is a PITA which drops you back to radio and dial-up for weather news just when it hits you -- DUH.

But for many WildBlue has been anything but peachy...
* WildBlue has reached saturation on many of its beams (nearly 25% of them are currently closed to new users). Reports from WB users on these 'closed' beams reads like a nightmare of lost connections (principally those using routers) and terrible performance on simple web browsing.

FWIW our WB connection has been stable except during rain. And we have had only minor periods when general networking issues (dropped packets etc.) made WB unusable. BUT....

We had SBC DSL at out city house for over 5 years -- We would trade WB for that DSL connection in a heart beat of a humming bird.

If you are even _thinking_ about getting WB, you should visit http://www.wildblue.cc/wbforums/index.php and do a little homework.

Talon Dancer

Here are the reasons why I have not gotten satellite broadband internet access:

> High Price for installation and monthly fee
> High Pings - Prevents you from using VOIP
> Limited Downloading - They cut your service way back once you reach a limit.

Advantages this would have over other broadband services that would make me want it instead of cable/dsl:

> I could have it at two locations by just taking the modem with me when I go from one location to another but I would have to pay for the second satellite dish and installation of that satellite dish.

If I could at least not have a limit on the downloading each month then I would probably take the service as I could live without the VOIP service at this time. I have heard of others that use it. I do not have a phone at the second location that I would want to have this service at so it would provide me with a phone service there while I am there with my modem.

Is there a broadband satellite service that does not limit downloading or can I get that service for an extra fee on StarBand, WildBlue, or Direcway?

Stargazer said:
> I could have it at two locations by just taking the modem with me when I go from one location to another but I would have to pay for the second satellite dish and installation of that satellite dish.

Not true, unless of course the locations are in the same spot beam as the area that you're originally located, which is doubtful if it's outside of about a 100mile radius or so, basing that off of you living directly in the middle of the beam.

yeah, supposedly... they still have activations shut off and last I was told it would be early November before they restart taking new activations...

Depends on the area you're located, and the spot beam you're receiving signal from.

From what I've heard though, you can get your account bundled WB+Dish, however, there is no discounted price for either at this time.

dnet said:
From what I've heard though, you can get your account bundled WB+Dish, however, there is no discounted price for either at this time.

When I called in about the bundling, I was told there would be a discount--but to wait until Oct 19 to ask for it.

So, yes, right now, nothing, but otherwise, what would the point of bundling be if no price discount?

The other location is only 7 road miles away so it would still be under the same spotbeam if use WildBlue, it should work this way with any of them. With cable/DSL I would have to pay for seperate subscriptions if I could even get the services at both locations. With Wi-Fi if I could get service at both locations I could just take the box with me that is on the side of the house.

I love my WildBlue. I have only had one customer that I installed cancel and it was because he found out he was moving out of the country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts