Wildblue gets more bandwidth from Echostar

Agreed! I feel sad for people who pay 80 bucks a month for a junky satellite connection when I can get a 20/2 connection from Comcast for 62.95 a month.

Yeah... I have AT&T U-verse 24/3 Internet $65 a month.

U-verse TV may suck, but their Internet connection once you drop their crappy TV is great :D .

If you dont have DSL or cable internet available to you then satellite internet is a blessing. :D

I dunno, if I ever were in that scenario, I might just stick with dialup instead :p . Though there ARE some people who can't even get that, so yeah, as a total last-resort, I might consider satellite Internet, then again, I might just go to the library or a cafe or something instead ;) .

Except that the way operating systems on PCs are now days, they pretty much assume and rely on a 24/7 dedicated broadband level connection. Dial-up is just painful to use. Inconsistant speeds, dropped connections, at least satellite is something.

Some people live in very remote areas and satellite internet is all that there is available. Satellite internet has a definite place, but it is not a substitute for DSL or cable.

Don't forget the cellular internet option. Most cellular is capped but so it WildBlue via what they call fair access "thresholds".

FWIW we had WildBlue for 2 years. And switched to cellular as soon as the contract expired. Even AT&T's EDGE cellular connection beat WildBlue for everything except raw downloads. And AT&T's 3G beat WildBlue for everything.

Satellite internet is truly the last resort for bandwidth in the boonies.

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
Agreed! I feel sad for people who pay 80 bucks a month for a junky satellite connection when I can get a 20/2 connection from Comcast for 62.95 a month.

You really pay 62.95 for just internet from Comcast, we are in the Shenandoah Valley area of Va and only pay 42.95, maybe it has to do with JMU

Don't forget to check and see if you have a Wireless ISP in your area.....much better than Satellite Internet....and usually no download caps like the cell phone plans.

Don't forget to check and see if you have a Wireless ISP in your area.....much better than Satellite Internet....and usually no download caps like the cell phone plans.
I agree. When the local wireless ISP finally installed a 'tower' w/ LOS, we dropped our AT&T Cellular plan and switched to wireless. But even a capped AT&T cellular plan beats WildBlue. The latency was so bad. I'd switch to dial up for online banking etc. Anyone even considering satellite internet should make sure there is NO other alternative. Because they ALL beat satellite internet -- except dial-up. And even dial-up beats satellite internet in bad weather :(

BTW you can not directly compare data caps between AT&T and WildBlue due to the way WildBlue pre-caches links in order to reduce the apparent latency whether you to go there or not - DUH.

Talon Dancer

U-verse TV may suck, but their Internet connection once you drop their crappy TV is great :D .

I agree with you but my local tv company is Atlantic Broadband. I hate their tv, their dvrs (don't always record shows that are a season), and line up and few hd channels (47 which that includes locals and movie channels). Love their internet I get Up to 5Mbps/512Kbps for $38.95 (don't forget about the $5.00 phone modem lease)

Thanks, After contacting BriDog that info was also given to me. BirDog did say that there BirDog Ultra would work with Wildblue but, thats not the one I have. Now looking for analog meter. I have a cheap analog meter from a local store (Fry's) might see if it works.
Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)