WildBlue vs. Hughesnet - which to sell?

ProWire

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Tennessee
We're considering offering satellite internet since we do a lot of work in rural areas and people are always asking how they can get high speed internet. I know hughesnet has been around awhile and is very popular, but wildblue is quickly gaining popularity. The problem is, it seems every other week they shut down our beam for new connects. Anybody have an opinion?

Neither, Sell Starband. The commissions are a hell of a lot better, the tech support is in the USA not Pakistan, the FAP free night time period is longer and you can charge whatever you want for an install.

https://signup.starband.com/direct/index.asp

I used to sell HN and WB but no more...too many hassles. I like my 20% commission the 1st year, 10% for the next 2 years and 5% for the rest of the life of the account.

SB mails me a check that is anywhere between 2500 and 3200 dollars a month for commissions plus I make money on installs, equipment and shipping...It's a no brainer.

Just my 2 cents

Starband. They'll want to do business. The other two are bogged down with administrative types who impede the small operator from getting going.

Just my opinion after experience with all 3.

GL, Eric

What is the time period for FAP free night time?

With SB it's Midnight to 7AM EST.

However I would start about 15 min later and end 15 min early to be on the safe side otherwise the whole session counts if you start to early or end late.

Lots of time to use automated download and upload programs to transfer large files, get complete ISO's, updates, music and movies.

Okay, I don't wanna knock it until I've tried it, but I looked up some reviews on Starband and everyone seems to hate it (http://www.rateitall.com/i-891560-starband.aspx), plus it looks like before the mail in rebate it's 500 bucks up front for equipment, PLUS installation? It may be beneficial to the dealer, but what's the incentive for the customer?

Last edited:
Prowire, You check out the reviews for HN and Wb on that site?

MSRP is currently $299 for all 3 service plans StarBand by Spacenet

They also have a previously used equipment plan for $150 with a 1 year warranty.

In the next quarter they will release a zero money down option for the equipment with an MRC ( monthly recurring charge ) will be $10 higher.

Seriously all in all it is a win win for both dealer and customer in the long run.

If they did a $10 lease and covered anything that went wrong with the equipment then they would get more customers, that is, if their service is comparable to Hughes and WildBlue.

Hughesnet vs. wildblue

We're considering offering satellite internet since we do a lot of work in rural areas and people are always asking how they can get high speed internet. I know hughesnet has been around awhile and is very popular, but wildblue is quickly gaining popularity. The problem is, it seems every other week they shut down our beam for new connects. Anybody have an opinion?

This question may be moot now as Viasat has signed for to provide Hughesnet to provide next gen sat internet.

nuvuya

This question may be moot now as Viasat has signed for to provide Hughesnet to provide next gen sat internet.
I think you've got your providers mixed up. ViaSat has been a modem supplier to Wildblue since the beginning. ViaSat is also in the process of launching their own satellite - ViaSat 1 - which would have put them into direct competition with Wildblue. But that issue is now moot, since ViaSat just bought Wildblue last fall - a $568 million dollar deal. So all that's changed is that Wildblue is now under new ownership, and will soon have another satellite to use (totaling 3). HughesNet (one satellite of their own and transponders leased on 13 others) remains their direct competition - with Starband (a few transponders on 1 satellite) coming in a distant second.

//greg//

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts