Will a preamp help?

dcwebman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Spring, TX
I currently have a CM 4228 in the attic and a coax run of about 20 feet to the receiver. I can get all the channels I need except occasionally I get pixelation in spots while watching. Will the CM 7777 preamp help in this case? I'd hate to order one online only to find out that there's no difference.

I'd love to put it outside, not sure exactly where, but don't think the homeowner's association will appreciate that. That's why it's in the attic to avoid any complications.

I don't mind spending the money on a 7777 but not sure of the exact functionality of it as to if it will help or not.

dcwebman said:
I'd love to put it outside, not sure exactly where, but don't think the homeowner's association will appreciate that. That's why it's in the attic to avoid any complications.

I don't mind spending the money on a 7777 but not sure of the exact functionality of it as to if it will help or not.
Yes it will help even though it would be better to have the antenna outside. Legaly the HOA can not keep ypou from having an antenna on your home. This is providing you are not living in a townhome or condo.

dcwebman said:
I currently have a CM 4228 in the attic and a coax run of about 20 feet to the receiver. I can get all the channels I need except occasionally I get pixelation in spots while watching. Will the CM 7777 preamp help in this case? I'd hate to order one online only to find out that there's no difference.

The benefit of a preamp depends on if your pixelization is caused by a weak signal or multipath. A preamp can't fix multipath and multipath is more prevalent with attic antennas.

A preamp may cause problems if you are too close to the TV towers. The 7777 is great for rural areas that are far from the broadcaster but can overload if the transmitters are already very strong. The HDR-269 is a better preamp for many urban locations.

Thanks for the info. I'm 30-35 miles from the towers with lots of trees in the way. Right now it appears that I can get every channel perfectly except CBS that shows the pixelation. Funny that when I first made the mistake of buying a huge VHF/UHF antenna before I knew that the HD signals were all UHF, this CBS station is the only one I could get. Now with a huge UHF antenna, it's the worst.

I think I'll try to see if I can find a 7777 or HDR-269 locally so I can return it if it doesn't help.

According to the anntennaweb.org site, all the towers are located in the 202-203 degree range, and at least according to my compass it's pointing in the right spot. Unfortunately CBS is the only main network that D* doesn't offer me in HD hence the reason for getting it OTA. I'll get it somehow. ;)

Unless you live in a condo or apartment with no private areas (porch or patio, etc.), you can install any antenna that you need to receive local television. It is a matter of public safety, you MUST be allowed to construct an antenna that allows you to receive weather and civil defense information.

Thanks for the link. I might have to use it because I've heard this HOA is very picky. Need to find a local pre-amp first still. Why do they make the decent ones so hard to get????

If you want to keep that antenna in the attic, there is some anecdotal evidence that pointing the antenna up slightly, no more that about 20 degrees, can help reduce multipath and improve signal strength slightly. This is especially helpful if you have large trees in your area. You can also put your antenna on a rotor as long as it is small, like one of those 4 or 8-bay bowtie style antennas.

If the CM 4228 in the attic with only 20 ft of coax does not get you a steady picture, adding a preamp will only amplify the poor signal you are getting in the attic. Amplifiers can't improve what the antenna can't receive.

Try it but be sure you can return the preamp if it doesn't help.

I'll try pointing the antenna up a bit. And that's why I'm trying to find a decent pre-amp locally so I can return it if it doesn't work. I saw some people referring to that @$50 Radio Shack one. Is that good enough to see if it makes a difference?

dcwebman said:
I'll try pointing the antenna up a bit. And that's why I'm trying to find a decent pre-amp locally so I can return it if it doesn't work. I saw some people referring to that @$50 Radio Shack one. Is that good enough to see if it makes a difference?

If you have a Home Depot, Lowe's, or ACE Hardware in your area, give them a try. They all have amps in stock, but vary considerably by location (I know, I found that when hunting for a new tripod / mast.)

Good Luck!