Will all new HD be 129 only?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
Does anyone know if the new HD channels will eventually be available on 61.5 also? It would be nice to know now before I do all this scrambling trying to get some equipment that will pick it up. I would hate to spend a small fortune to receive 129 only to find out in a few weeks I really didn't need to.

I am pretty peeved that the new HD channels are not on 61.5. I thought I was future proof. I am having a lot of trouble getting a Eastern Arc Dish installed with the local retailers. They should have had all the HD on 61.5 and not this 72.7 junk.

I am pretty peeved that the new HD channels are not on 61.5. I thought I was future proof. I am having a lot of trouble getting a Eastern Arc Dish installed with the local retailers. They should have had all the HD on 61.5 and not this 72.7 junk.

Perhaps you need to move to Colorado and take charge of their operation. Maybe you get Dish Network straightened out?

One of the 61.5 sats is failing and losing transponders. DISH couldn't depend on this sat for any new hd. So they put it on 72.7 ,which has more than enough room and a strong signal. IF you want to be future proof , you can go with either a 1000.2 western arc dish for 110/119/129 OR an eastern arc dish 1000.4 for 77/72.7/61.5 . IF you really want to be sure, you can add a side sat for 61.5 for the western arc dish Or a side sat for 129 for eastern arc dish. Both dishes allow for another satellite to be run into the lnb port.

DISH is working on moving an older satellite into place for 61.5 to back it up. Then they might move the hd back to 61.5. But I wouldn't sit around and wait for that. Get an upgrade to either western or eastern arc dishes and you can get one through DISH for $15.00 if you add the home protection insurance for $6.00 a month.

Last edited:
So where's the separation line between eastern and western arc? I called a local installer today looking for options and he suggested putting in a 1000.2 dish, which appears to be western arc. But I live in the eastern half of the U.S. I already have a side dish for 61.5.

Well-said , Mike and good advice. I might add that EA or WA should depend on each DMA and where HD locals are for that market.

Now if you could only learn how to paragraph....:rolleyes:

One of the 61.5 sats is failing and losing transponders. DISH couldn't depend on this sat for any new hd. So they put it on 72.7 ,which has more than enough room and a strong signal. IF you want to be future proof , you can go with either a 1000.2 western arc dish for 110/119/129 OR an eastern arc dish 1000.4 for 77/72.7/61.5 .
IF you really want to be sure, you can add a side sat for 61.5 for the western arc dish Or a side sat for 129 for eastern arc dish. Both dishes allow for another satellite to be run into the lnb port. DISH is working on moving an older satellite into place for 61.5 to back it up. Then they might move the hd back to 61.5. But I wouldn't sit around and wait for that. Get an upgrade to either western or eastern arc dishes and you can get one through DISH for $15.00 if you add the home protection insurance for $6.00 a month.

SIX DOLLAR A MONTH IS 72 DOLLARS PER YEAR PLUS THE $15= $87. YOU COULD PAY THE $100 UPGRADE FEE CHEAPER, UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING ON A NEW UPGRADE EVERY YEAR.

SIX DOLLAR A MONTH IS 72 DOLLARS PER YEAR PLUS THE $15= $87. YOU COULD PAY THE $100 UPGRADE FEE CHEAPER, UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING ON A NEW UPGRADE EVERY YEAR.

You don't have to keep the insurance. You can keep it for like one month or two and then cancel. You just can't cancel the first month, without getting hit with a $25.00 cancellation charge. At least from what I read and heard here by others. This new fee was created because everyone would add the dish home protection insurance then cancel right away after the job was completed. This will discourage most from doing that the first month now.

Well-said , Mike and good advice. I might add that EA or WA should depend on each DMA and where HD locals are for that market.

Now if you could only learn how to paragraph....:rolleyes:

Okay smart ass.:rolleyes: I will try to work on that paragraph thing just for you. There I fixed it . Happy?;)

So where's the separation line between eastern and western arc? I called a local installer today looking for options and he suggested putting in a 1000.2 dish, which appears to be western arc. But I live in the eastern half of the U.S. I already have a side dish for 61.5.

Depends on your dma. Try the following eastern arc look up tool to put your zipcode in and it will tell you what area you are located in , whether eastern or western arc.

Eastern Arc DMA Lookup Tool

Depends on your dma. Try the following eastern arc look up tool to put your zipcode in and it will tell you what area you are located in , whether eastern or western arc.

I put in my zip code and it said I was Eastern Arc... Only problem is that all the locals in my DMA and the ones around it are on 129... Now what? It's such a pain getting the installer out here to move/change/add dishes... I must have done it 4 or 5 times since '96... It's getting old.

My take on things...not a rumor....just my opinion. The HD will not be moved over from 72.7 to 61.5 anytime soon. It is obvious they are trying to get rid of the mixed EA/WA setups.

Remember this is not really Dish's fault, but the Russians...

Dish had a satellite bound for 61.5 (AMC-15) that did not make it to orbit because the third stage did not fire properly. They have another replacement going up this year.

At least they are not making everyone wait a year to get capacity on 61.5.

My take on things...not a rumor....just my opinion. The HD will not be moved over from 72.7 to 61.5 anytime soon. It is obvious they are trying to get rid of the mixed EA/WA setups.
I think they should put new HD locals on 72.7.. that way it would be easier to coordinate upgrades.I really don't need a 5 lnb dishfarm on my roof (eastern arc +110 and 119 for my mpeg 2 receivers)

I think they should put new HD locals on 72.7.. that way it would be easier to coordinate upgrades.I really don't need a 5 lnb dishfarm on my roof (eastern arc +110 and 119 for my mpeg 2 receivers)

I bet you could get Dish to replace the MPEG2 receivers.

I used the tool and it said eastern arc 1000.4 dish. Makes me wonder why the local installer I called today recommended installing a 1000.2 along with my existing 61.5 side dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts