Will D* add WGN-HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BigJ52

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Was just reading that WGN will also be showing some away baseball games in HD this upcoming season. Anyone heard if WGN-HD is on the near "future list" to be added? Be nice to have before the baseball season starts.

If you live in chicago you allready have wgn hd on channel 9 with the appropreate mpeg 4 equipment. IF your outside of chicago, no idea, allthough im hearing this summer wgn superstation hd goes online, but it is up in the air due to the tribune selling the cubs and other assets.

Don't live local so I can't get it that way unfortunately. Would love to get the games in HD but hell I would be satisfied with just a better Picture Quality in SD. Right now the PQ is AWFUL!

The superstation feed is available in HD but not yet available on directv. The good news is now that WGN announced that any cub/sox games they show(not yet know how many) will be in HD, including away games, it becomes more desirable for directv to carry.

The superstation feed is available in HD but not yet available on directv. The good news is now that WGN announced that any cub/sox games they show(not yet know how many) will be in HD, including away games, it becomes more desirable for directv to carry.

rodger that.

Corner Gas title with HD title next to it

So, is the WGN available in HD with direct? While flipping thru channels last night I saw "Corner GAS HD". I thought you only see "HD" shown on the guide if it is an HD channel? Or am I wrong? I couldn't confirm if it was really HD or not since I dont' subscribe to WGN.

I have seen the "HD" indicator posted on some programs that were not actually HD. If the past still holds the same, DirecTV purchases their EPG data from Tribune and sometime little things get through; as well, some late programming changes never make the update on-time.

307 - Wgn Hd ???

Anyone else notice the HD slug next to the program listing for CORNER GAS?

Is that just an oops, or an indication that Directv is going to add the channel to its HD inventory???

Just to add to what Tulsa said; If the past holds true today; DirecTV buys the EPG data from Tribune, which also owns WGN and sometimes incorrect or additonal audio and video indicators slip by; sometimes even late edited programming doesn't get edited in or edited out in time.

Anyone else notice the HD slug next to the program listing for CORNER GAS?

Is that just an oops, or an indication that Directv is going to add the channel to its HD inventory???
I asked someone at WGN that's been accurate in the past, their response was "Superstation Management and DIRECTV are in negotiations re HD carriage at this time. Don't know how long it's going to be . . ."

I asked someone at WGN that's been accurate in the past, their response was "Superstation Management and DIRECTV are in negotiations re HD carriage at this time. Don't know how long it's going to be . . ."
Hopefully it will be done by April 1st when baseball season starts up!

Right now Superstation WGNHD May be up in the air due to finacial trouble with the tribune company. They are trying to sell wrigley to the state and the cubs to Someone.. last I heard Mark Cuban was looking at them. Untill this gets settled I dont think we will see Superstaion WGNHD. As far as WGN-DT (local WGN for Chicago) that has been in hd some time. The actual transition for WGN superstaion shouldnt be too tough sence the feeds are allready there. It would be a matter of setting up a new master controll and some switchers. WGN-DT really needs to upgrade there ageing OTA encoders also.

Right now Superstation WGNHD May be up in the air due to finacial trouble with the tribune company. They are trying to sell wrigley to the state and the cubs to Someone.. last I heard Mark Cuban was looking at them. Untill this gets settled I dont think we will see Superstaion WGNHD. As far as WGN-DT (local WGN for Chicago) that has been in hd some time. The actual transition for WGN superstaion shouldnt be too tough sence the feeds are allready there. It would be a matter of setting up a new master controll and some switchers. WGN-DT really needs to upgrade there ageing OTA encoders also.

Bob, I have a contact in the engineering department at WGN, the Superstation is up now and has been for almost 2 months and a couple systems are carrying them, AT&T U-Verse is one if them IIRC.

Rad thanks for the info, The last I heard over at AVS was what I posted. Good to hear that the status quoe has changed. Let them engneers know that them encoders need to be upgraded so that way when they braudcast sports OTA we wont get bad microblocking like they put out last year. Anyone who's active over in the AVS OTA chicago local forum knows what im talking about.

My contact at the tribune told me the same, they are in negotiations with directv to get the superstation on directv but the time frame is unknow. Tribune really wants to get the deal done this year because the cubs games on WGN will very likely drop to a minimum amount once the team is sold and that is the big draw to getting the HD feed on MSOs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts