Will DierecTV ever add Netflix to the TV Apps?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RocketFoot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Southwestern PA
Do you guys think DirecTV will ever add Netflix to the TV Apps? Is there anyway to access it now? I would love to be able to access Netflix on my remote TV's!

There are rumors Netflix are in talks with cable companies to add them to their offerings but not sure if they've approached D*. Not a bad idea but right now there is so many other ways to receive them so you don't have to wait for an outcome. But I agree, it would be an added convenience. If it's a good idea for either parties now is definitely debatable.

Yeah, I can see the conflict (Netflix vs. Cinema) but as mentioned, it would be a great added convenience for customers of both services!

Yeah, I can see the conflict (Netflix vs. Cinema) but as mentioned, it would be a great added convenience for customers of both services!

It would be nice, and convenient for us, NOT for DTV, so unless there is some revenue sharing agreement whereby there is a financial incentive for DTV , it won't happen.

I would imagine there must be some kind of revenue sharing to offset whatever revenue DTV would lose on PPV (then again, Netflix streaming has so little "new" material, there may not be much overlap).

It would be nice, and convenient for us, NOT for DTV, so unless there is some revenue sharing agreement whereby there is a financial incentive for DTV , it won't happen.

I would imagine there must be some kind of revenue sharing to offset whatever revenue DTV would lose on PPV (then again, Netflix streaming has so little "new" material, there may not be much overlap).

There probably isn't a ton of overlap but even if there was there are about a million different devices that support Netflix and don't ask for revenue sharing. Why would Netflix want to start a business model where they have to start sharing their money with all the device makers? If they agree to that with Directv Sony will stick their hand out to keep Netflix on Playstation and Microsoft will want money to put it on Xbox. The same goes for Apple, Roku, Smart TVs, Blu-ray players, tablets, smartphones, etc...

Netflix is doing just fine with their current position where just about every internet device released wants Netflix compatibility as a selling point. It wouldn't be worth risking that business model to get on Directv receivers. If Directv wanted to put Netflix on there without asking for money I'm sure Netflix would let them. They just don't need Directv bad enough to split profits when they are already on multiple devices in the homes of most people interested in signing up for a streaming TV service.

There are rumors Netflix are in talks with cable companies to add them to their offerings but not sure if they've approached D*. Not a bad idea but right now there is so many other ways to receive them so you don't have to wait for an outcome. But I agree, it would be an added convenience. If it's a good idea for either parties now is definitely debatable.

Wouldn't that de value D*'s version of On Demand ?

If so, I doubt that they would ever do that .

That said, I don't think much of the On Demand anyways.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)