Will Directv give free HD locals ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jeffadelic

Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
Durham,N.C.
Why can't Directv at least give subscribers free local stations in HD ?
STARCHOICE in Canada gives you free locals in HD and 13 free HD channels.
I refuse to buy into the Directv HD package because eventually they will raise the prices .

Locals are included in the base package cost for most customers. Not withstanding that, you want D* (a for profit company BTW) to give you a FREE service involving something that it cost them a lot of money to put into space?

Of course D* is going to raise prices...they do almost every year. It's called inflation. E* is going to raise prices, cable companies are going to raise prices, etc...

I refuse to buy into the Directv HD package because eventually they will raise the prices .
Do you subscribe to Starchoice? How can they be free if you subscribe? Free means you pay notrhing to receive them which would be illegal for that pay service.:):):)

I am not a STARCHOICE subscriber but it's a great how they are getting their subscribers interested in HD by giving them count em' 13 free HD channels .
I was not referring to any illegal methods with Starchoice 13 HD channels that is included in their package .
If you don't believe me check out their website .
Directv needs to recognize that profit is not everything when it comes to consumer loyalty .

Well Jeff, without profit, there would be no research and development. There would be no investors. There would be no Company. Without the R&D, or investors, how do you think those satellites would have gotten into outer space?

Maybe they would have sprouted wings and flown up there themselves?

I am not a STARCHOICE subscriber but it's a great how they are getting their subscribers interested in HD by giving them count em' 13 free HD channels .
I was not referring to any illegal methods with Starchoice 13 HD channels that is included in their package .
If you don't believe me check out their website .
Directv needs to recognize that profit is not everything when it comes to consumer loyalty .

Well actually D* does give you free HD channels if you subscribe to the HD DVR plus including your HD locals where available. :D

I just took a look at Starchoice's $90 package... you got to be kidding.. they should give you the whole package...

I just took a look at Starchoice's $90 package... you got to be kidding.. they should give you the whole package...

Yeah, but I'd be pi$$ed if I were a D* Sunday Ticket subscriber. How can they offer the Sunday Ticket for $100 for the season and justify the $280 for US subscribers. Sounds like a big case of subsidy to me.

They can! Just simply raise the monthly base subscription cost accordingly and tell you HD locals are included "free". Come on get real. Anyone you pay a fee to for service is not giving you anything for free it is included in the cost. Advertisers love pople like yourself who think otherwise.:D

Jeffadelic if I told you I was going to sell you a BMW for $27,000 and I was going to throw in the four tires FREE would you believe the tires were really FREE?

There's no such thing as "free channels that come with a package." You're paying for the package, aren't you? Obviously the channels are figured into the cost of that package, and there's nothing that says the cost of that package won't go up.

Yeah, but I'd be pi$$ed if I were a D* Sunday Ticket subscriber. How can they offer the Sunday Ticket for $100 for the season and justify the $280 for US subscribers. Sounds like a big case of subsidy to me.

The reason is that they figure they can only get $100 from Canadians and obviously do get lots of $280 US subscribers.

They are charging what they think the market will bear.

Well technically they do. You can easily hook up a antenna to the DirecTV reciever and for "free' get your local HD channels.

Gone are the days of Total Choice for $29.95...that was the MY monthly bill for years!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.