Will Dish keep updating the 721

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DishDave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 16, 2003
I now have a 508 and a 721 (not hooked up yet) in order to hook up the 721 will require some major wire changes. I was wondering if i should bother doing this major upgrade if the 721 is a phased out receiver. Should i just stick with my 508 single tuner?

I hope they are not done with it I'm hoping for name based recording later this year. Other than that I am happy with mine.

Bob

I read some posts where someone said that the 721 was only going to get one more major update and thats it. I figure it would include the name based recording.

Stargazer said:
I read some posts where someone said that the 721 was only going to get on more major update and thats it.

You can't believe everything you read on this and other boards about that kind of stuff. Very few people know what DISH's software plans are for the 721 and they aren't posting.

I have been told by the 721 group that software development on the 721 is winding down. Meaning after name based timers come out, don't expect any new features on the 721.

However while no new features will be made available software updates for the 721 will continue to keep the 721 working with Dish Networks ever evolving data stream and EPG updates.

You will be able to use your 721 for a good long time. :)

The unknown channel 77 bug on All recordings when they first start is the number one bug they could fix and then activate the rest of the Dish Home applications as well.

Scott do you know when or if they will ever activate the rest of the Dish home games? Dish advanced tech keeps saying they are active and that it is a problem with my software on my 2 /721s. I am not the only one, according to this and other web boards , reporting the same thing. You could do a poll on this board asking how many 721 users can't use the dish home applications and I imagine it would be quite high.

Can you help with this issue Scott?

MikeD-C05 said:
The unknown channel 77 bug on All recordings when they first start is the number one bug they could fix and then activate the rest of the Dish Home applications as well.
Personally, I find the audio delay from pause to play, and the way the image jumps forward a second when going from ff to play, to both be far more annoying than the 77Unkown title in the banner.

After all, I know what recording I'm watching, as I chose it from the PVR list in the first place. The delayed audio, and image skip are very annoying because I like to pause to discuss the show we're watching, as well as speed search between pitches in a baseball game.

MikeD-C05 said:

Scott do you know when or if they will ever activate the rest of the Dish home games? Dish advanced tech keeps saying they are active and that it is a problem with my software on my 2 /721s. I am not the only one, according to this and other web boards , reporting the same thing. You could do a poll on this board asking how many 721 users can't use the dish home applications and I imagine it would be quite high.

Can you help with this issue Scott?

I have seen the channel 77 bug but at the top of the hour the info shows up.

The Dish Home games also don't work on the 522, so I expect when they work for the 522 they will work for the 721.

You might want to write scott.higgins@echostar.com and ask him whats up with opentv and the 721.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I have seen the channel 77 bug but at the top of the hour the info shows up.

The Dish Home games also don't work on the 522, so I expect when they work for the 522 they will work for the 721.

You might want to write scott.higgins@echostar.com and ask him whats up with opentv and the 721.

Thankyou , I hope that this will get me something other than a canned response.

I would expect regular minor software updates after the next major one but getting more software updates that have more functionality is something else. The good thing about the 501 and 508 receivers that are no longer being made is that the 510 is essentually the same receiver only that it has a larger hard drive so they would get supported as long as the 510 is being produced or another receiver like the 510 will be available.

Well Scott Higgins called me today( I left my cell phone number) a few hours after I posted an email to the above email address. He said that the Linux software and the open tv software didn't work properly together but that by October 1st we would get an software update that will enable the rest of the Dish Home applications. Oh ,and all he does is open tv or Dish Home software. He said if we don't have dish home update by October 1st to email him again.

Thanks for the email address Scott. That makes me feel better to know that it wasn't just my 721s like the dish advanced techs told me. Now if we could just talk to someone about the annoying "unknown channel 77 "bug.

I hope that that bug will be fixed upon the next software update as I have experienced the "unk ch 77" bug as well. I consider that to be a minor bug though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts