Will Dish Network merge with Directv

I'll be curious to see how the next 5 yrs goes for IPTV, and what providers do.

Yep. Sure looks like some ISPs are trying to strangle it, perhaps thru demanding too big of a slice of the pie.

He's the CEO and doesn't know if talks like these are going on ? Hmmm...

Yes, I thought that was a very curious thing to say. Wonder if the SEC was on his mind when he said it?

I bet we see the end of the world before we see a merger of DISH & Directv. New End of the world prediction by the crack pot preacher: 10/21/11.

I couldn't agree more KimmiKat. For a guy like me who lives out in the country, I have 2 choices, Direct and DISH. The only high speed internet I can get is satellite and that's not nearly fast enough for today's streaming stuff (and won't go back to dial up). So the "trends of today" do not and likely will not ever apply to me. A merger would simply drive up prices, lower service and I'd have a "take it or leave it choice". Hopefully this stays on the back burner (and yes I believe it's a DISTINCT possibility).
Todd

E* now owns Hughes net sat IP I hope that they can get the speed up.

Joel Clayton will ruin dish like he ruin xm/Sirius. Joel is all about mergers look at his past record the bum. I hope I am wrong about him but I will not be surprised if dish does merge that is what dish new CEO does best.:D

The guy that followed Joe did the merger. His name is Mel. Look at KAB's link.

Last edited:
You have to remember what it was like back in 2002. Dish had 50 CONUS TPs, 29 on 110 and 21 on 119. They had 15 on 61.5 and all of 148. Essentially Dish did not have a one dish solution. DIRECTV had 46 TPs.

Since then Dish got 129, 72.7 and 77, and DIRECTV did all the Ka satellites.

Both companies now have more capacity than they would have had back then when they merged.

If E* and D* were to merge, there would be some good stuff and bad stuff out of it. The good stuff is that E* subs would get the RSNs in 24/7 HD and also all of the sports and Disney stuff and the 3D we currently don't have and D* subs would get all the basic national HD that they don't have. The bad stuff would be that the satellite business would become a monopoly and who knows how high the prices could/would go.

I think they would still run the two services separate for some time, like Siruis XM is doing.

If E* and D* were to merge, there would be some good stuff and bad stuff out of it. The good stuff is that E* subs would get the RSNs in 24/7 HD and also all of the sports and Disney stuff and the 3D we currently don't have and D* subs would get all the basic national HD that they don't have. The bad stuff would be that the satellite business would become a monopoly and who knows how high the prices could/would go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts