Will Dish Retain the Title "HD Leader"?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I will post the same thing in this thread that I posted in a similar thread in the D* HD forum, as you guys obviously need a dose of rationality and common sense here as well:

The so-called "lead" will be jockeying back and forth between providers. If it wasn't for the HD filler of the Voom channels, of which I have no use, E* would be right on par with D* and C*, possibly even behind either or both in some areas.

For instance, with C*, I get my local sports in HD, plus MHD, which I beleieve neither dbs service has right now. I also get a couple of HD locals that dbs doesn't provide, as well as several digital sub-channels, also absent from DBS. I still get UHD, TNTHD, ESPNHD, DISCHD, and the other main nat'l HD channels (minus NGHD, unfortunately). So, C*, in my area, is actually pretty decent in the HD dept.

But, D* might pass it by this year. As might E*. Of course, there's always IPTV. FiOS sounds great, but is not available in my area. U-Verse has recently begun rolling out in my area. They have a huge HD selection. But, due to bandwidth limitations, cannot record more than one HD channel at a time. (MAJOR shortcoming, I might add.)

The bottom line is that the so-called "HD Leader" is constantly changing. And, the definition of HD Leader can be different to different people. (For instance, as I mentioned above, Voom doesn't mean sh*t to me. RSN in HD may not mean sh*t to somebody else.)

So, you people need to relax. These are freakin service providers. No need to get so attached or loyal. Just choose the one that meets your needs, and switch to a different one if those needs change, or they offer more value for you. It's incredibly simple.

For the past year VOOM has replayed the same programming over and over. There has been very little new VOOM programming added. IMO, E* should dump VOOM or consolidate the channels to free up bandwidth to add any new national HD channels that become available. Let D* subscribers have their turn at watching VOOM reruns.

Not to mention there aren't even 100 national HD channels. It'll be interesting to see how they get 100 National HD channels when there are only about 50 that exist. (that's a wild guess too...somebody should count them..including the ones D* is in "negotiations" with.)

One thing that I've seen mentioned in the past is that the content providers haven't been rushing to add HD versions of their channels since nobody has the capacity to offer all those channels. But with D10 and D11 hopefully going online in 2007 there is now a provider with 15M subs, and the capacity for 150 national HD channels, so maybe those content providers will then make a HD version available. Guess we'll just have to see if D* is blowing smoke or if they'll smoke E* and cable. Should be an interesting year.

For the past year VOOM has replayed the same programming over and over. There has been very little new VOOM programming added. IMO, E* should dump VOOM or consolidate the channels to free up bandwidth to add any new national HD channels that become available. Let D* subscribers have their turn at watching VOOM reruns.

Waste of bandwidth:

Gallery
Treasure
Game Play
Kung Fu
Ultra
Animania

I will admit watching Thunderbirds and Flipper on Family Room.....

I love my MonstersHD though I wish they had more programming. Other than that, I'd be glad to cash in the other VOOM channels for Scifi, FX, USA and CNN in HD.

I love my MonstersHD though I wish they had more programming. Other than that, I'd be glad to cash in the other VOOM channels for Scifi, FX, USA and CNN in HD.

If you ask me, you could consolidate all 15 Voom's into about 5 channels or so..

that would give some 10 others we can see.. then less Voom repeats. etc. etc.

then we all will win.. and think about it.. with almost everyone getting DVR's now, if you want to watch a kungfu movie, you can record it and watch it when you want..

e..b

I predict they will remain the "HD-Lite leader" for quite some time to come. DirecTV locals are mpeg4 just like E* but they look much better so that leads me to believe D* will roll out all its new mpeg4 National HD channels in full rez mpeg4.

Hmm, I bet that CourtTV spat won't seems so smart to Charlie when he sits down to negotiate carriage agreements for the new Turner HD nets.

Waste of bandwidth:

Gallery
Treasure
Game Play
Kung Fu
Ultra
Animania

I will admit watching Thunderbirds and Flipper on Family Room.....

Pretty subjective of course. 3 of the ones you listed are the only Voom channels I watch with any regularity (though a couple others are watched in the household).

As to the subject of the thread, I do wonder if the trick here is that D* is negotiating with these channels to get the rights to do upconversion.

I doubt very much that D* on their own would be able to cost justify the work necessary for these networks to simulcast. How big an audience are we talking about? Say 2,000,000 potential, and maybe have that dither down to a few hundred thousand potential new viewers for any individual network?

And if it is indeed upconversion, it remains to be seen how the PQ is.

Just my own suppositions, of course...

If you ask me, you could consolidate all 15 Voom's into about 5 channels or so..

that would give some 10 others we can see.. then less Voom repeats. etc. etc.

then we all will win.. and think about it.. with almost everyone getting DVR's now, if you want to watch a kungfu movie, you can record it and watch it when you want..

e..b

You got it right there. Treasure HD, Style HD, Gallery HD...That looks like one channel to me, and I STILL think there would be repeats. FilmFest, Fu, Monsters and world cinnema is a channel. Worldsport, Rush, Rave and Gameplay can be a channel. Animania and Family is a channel. Drop HDNews and get CNN or Fox when they have an HD feed and you're done! 3 channels and STILL not enough content to fill them.

After all, if all new HD customers are going to get a DVR, WHY NOT HAVE THEM USE IT! We don't need 10 channels of repeats. Condense the channels and tell people how to DVR for the niche channels like that. I would go so far and say that channels like FoodHD and Discovery HD could go that way as well. Most of their stuff was produced months ago, they don't need an 8:00 premiere. Give that bandwidth to stations with hit shows (FX, Sci-Fi) or live events (CNN, Fox, RSNs) and consolidate the "batch" content.

That advice is free, Charles. Feel free to do that, restore true HD, and take the money. I just want the stations! :hatsoff:

Last edited:
You got it right there. Treasure HD, Style HD, Gallery HD...That looks like one channel to me, and I STILL think there would be repeats. FilmFest, Fu, Monsters and world cinnema is a channel. Worldsport, Rush, Rave and Gameplay can be a channel. Animania and Family is a channel. Drop HDNews and get CNN or Fox when they have an HD feed and you're done! 3 channels and STILL not enough content to fill them.

After all, if all new HD customers are going to get a DVR, WHY NOT HAVE THEM USE IT! We don't need 10 channels of repeats. Condense the channels and tell people how to DVR for the niche channels like that. I would go so far and say that channels like FoodHD and Discovery HD could go that way as well. Most of their stuff was produced months ago, they don't need an 8:00 premiere. Give that bandwidth to stations with hit shows (FX, Sci-Fi) or live events (CNN, Fox, RSNs) and consolidate the "batch" content.

That advice is free, Charles. Feel free to do that, restore true HD, and take the money. I just want the stations! :hatsoff:

While I don't hate the idea, I can't see anyone being satisfied with several stations sharing the same channel. TNT shows reruns all day Sunday and D* would drop it for NFL Sunday Ticket HD Games and subscribers were crying about it.

I know you may not watch those channels...but I am sure there are some subs that do. I like WorldSportHD and while I don't watch all the reruns when I do miss the live Soccer Game I like to catch the rerun. (despite having a 622) Not to mention the fact they are paying for them so they are going to show them. You are not going to pay for a service you don't use either. You kno....

I can't see anyone being satisfied with several stations sharing the same channel. TNT shows reruns all day Sunday and D* would drop it for NFL Sunday Ticket HD Games and subscribers were crying about it.

Actually, I watch most of the Voom stations frequently. I'm not talking about turning them on and off during the day or anything like that. I'm saying create new stations that replace several old ones. Voom Lifestyle, Voom Active (or something else), Voom Family, and Voom Movies. Rebrand them, and then combine the content.

My point is that they don't have enough content to fill the stations they have. If they're not going to make more content, then reduce the stations so they all seem new and full of content.

Woo Hoo the 1000 or so people who can receive fios tv must bereally happy..by the way..Fios isnt and probably never will be "national"

Yeah...u can't just stick a dish on a roof for that. No chance of franchising that.

Dish won't remain the HD leader the way DirecTV is talking. (talking being the keyword) but the CNN and CartoonNetwork and someone else saying they would go live in September with HD and Fox saying F/X would be available in HD soon makes me think there might be a momentum behind this storm.

Dish isn't boldly claiming new HD channels like DirecTV. I'm disappointed because I am itching for some good news.

Of course if FIOS doesn't take forever I'll jump ship anyways.

Woo Hoo the 1000 or so people who can receive fios tv must bereally happy..by the way..Fios isnt and probably never will be "national"

Agreeded, it will take long enough and billions of $'s to just cover Verizon territory vs even entering new markets. But remember, the largest telco in the US is rolling out U-verse, but at the rate they're going it will take a couple decades to get done.

I think D* will be the HD leader if they are already not. Yes E* has more HD channels but it seems D* focus is on what people really want to view, locals and RSN in HD. E* just has way to many HD channels that repeat a lot. I would rather watch the Red Sox or Bruins in HD then any rerun on the Voom channels. I do like a few of the Voom channels but one or two shows a month is not worth the space.

There where two of neighbors that had E* and switched to D* because they wanted NESN and local channels in HD. We are less then 5 miles from the tower for OTA locals and the 622 OTA tuner can not handle the multi-path very well. I got mine working ok, but they really did not want to play around with it anymore. Now they have NESN and locals HD and are watching a lot of good HD content and I have a lot of old content to watch again.

If E* wants to stay the HD leader they need to realize what people want to watch and not only add the channels that they can get a bargain on. I am staying with E* and the 622 hoping that they can offer more in the future, just hope they have room for more HD.

Dish knows HDTV is critical, but if they don't begin announcing something soon, they will get fewer and fewer contracts, at least from HD-focused consumers. What HD enthusiast would sign an 18-month contract today? No one that I know.

Dish knows HDTV is critical, but if they don't begin announcing something soon, they will get fewer and fewer contracts, at least from HD-focused consumers. What HD enthusiast would sign an 18-month contract today? No one that I know.
gee would you rather have 10 hd channnels (d*) or over 30 (e*) ? If the decision was made today e* is the clear winner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)