Will EchoStar Carry Al-Jazeera HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm all for it

You can always watch CNN. They run videos and stories from the enemy's perspective like our GI's getting sniped.

I almost certainly will cancel if they add Al Jazeera English. It is bad enough that they carry the Arabic version. Adding the English version will do nothing but feed homegrown terrorists which, no doubt, is the plan!

I'm Al Jazeera will be more neutral than CNN and Wolf Blitzer (formerly of AIPAC and the Jeruselum Post), and certainly more unbiased than Lou Dobbs. Watch the movie, Control Room, about Al Jazeera. I want it! No, I'm not joking.

"...Anyone who thinks any news source can be objective doesn't understand reality...."

Sad, but true.

And Lou "The Sky Is Falling" Dobbs is defending Rev Haggard, who's changing his story so fast it's hard to keep up. Nope, no bias there.

"...Anyone who thinks any news source can be objective doesn't understand reality...."

Sad, but true.

And Lou "The Sky Is Falling" Dobbs is defending Rev Haggard, who's changing his story so fast it's hard to keep up. Nope, no bias there.

It's not sad and to me it reflects positively on the lack of cynicism in Americans(but not me, I'm very cynical). But times have changed and anyone who still wants to paint the world in Black and White terms will eventually be....left behind. If you trust one source for your news I promise that your world view is skewed and not in a good way.

Last edited:
Its funny that some AJ staffs has been arrested for terrrorist activities

:eek: You've got link, right?

and being an Al Qaeda member

Link, please...

and AJ is the only ones who get first hand propaganda tapes from Al Qeada. They sure love their Al Qeada tapes.

Yeah, it's really surprising they get Arabic tapes when they are the only worldwide independent Arabic channel...:rolleyes:

Read and be shocked when countries bowed to illegal US pressure and arrested journalists, or full-time correspondents, or solely to censor them or outrageously jailing them for months without any charges.

PS: I'm waiting for your links... I'm really curious because I'm sure you do have something otherwise it would be blatant BSing, you know...

Excellent source to learn about these issues: http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=20

Sad, but true.

Great post, indeed.

Agree with that, and I think 90% of customers want CinemaxHD, INHD, TMCHD before AJHD.
Safe to say that 90% of Dish's customers do not have HD programming so those channels would be of zero interest to them. Of those that do have HD (it's in the 10-15% range, isn't it, maybe ??), not all subscribe to Cinemax or TMC, so those channels won't be of interest there either. I have Starz and StarzHD. TMCHD or CinemaxHD mean nothing to me. Your 90% just dropped a HUGE amount...

You must be joking! I can probably count on one hand how many people will watch this biased, total waste of bandwith, channel!
It would be interesting to know the subscriber numbers for Dish's (and DirecTV's) foreign language channels. I'm sure the Latino package(s) are # 1. What would be # 2, the Arabic, Indian, or Asian-Pacific package ?? Regardless, I'd bet a fair number of the Arabic package customers would be interested in AJ-HD. I have no idea what they show on a normal basis but I'm guessing it's not terrorist propoganda 24/7.
Hell, why add another useless channel when we have so many now.
Useless to who, you ?? You're one person....

I must admit that I was unaware that E* was already broadcasting AJ in SD. It's not a question of SD vs HD for me but I do have concern about aiding the spread of extremist propaganda. Isn't it true that American media only air edited footage of AQ tapes out of concern for messages to cells that they may contain? It's seems unwise to aid them with satellite broadcasts if it is a homeland security issue.

I must admit that I was unaware that E* was already broadcasting AJ in SD. It's not a question of SD vs HD for me but I do have concern about aiding the spread of extremist propaganda. Isn't it true that American media only air edited footage of AQ tapes out of concern for messages to cells that they may contain? It's seems unwise to aid them with satellite broadcasts if it is a homeland security issue.

Cells? I notice that just before elections or critical congressional votes the Feds round up people, make charges and pump publicity and then quietly drop charges a few weeks later when no one is paying attention anymore.

In North Korea the populace is told that it is unpatriotic to watch the propaganda streaming in from the South and from Japan so they hardwire the TV sets so that they can only get N. Korean state channels. And then only during the day while electricity is on.

snip I do have concern about aiding the spread of extremist propaganda. snip.

Any problem with FOX or CNN (depending on your plitical slant)? with the internet, text messaging, satellite phones, there are plenty of ways to contact "cells' without having to blink a message over Tv.

Scott-, Max, and a few others here- we all think alike. I said it before in the other OT thread that turned into a name calling session by one bigot minded person and I'll say it again. As long as this is a subscription channel it should be aired as was the Arabic language version. I would simply replace the current version with the English Language version in SD. As for HD, that would be interesting if it became a Discovery HD like channel with travel shows and culture shows too.
But, as it is now, I would not pay the price for the channel even in HD as I found it too expensive for my budget. However, when I did subscribe for 3 months, it was during the Iraq war and it was worth it to see the reports from that perspective.

Delivering messages to T Cells in the US, I believe is a good possibility but just like any other method of communication You can be sure the NSA will be on every minute of their broadcast, as if they aren't already. I don't see this English version being any more of a risk than the current Arabic one now, more likely, more of a risk since few people can understand the language and had to rely on the few subtitles then now have.

Let it air, charge for it, and if there is no interest, I trust E* will reserve the bandwidth for a product that will bring in the bacon.

Any problem with FOX or CNN (depending on your plitical slant)? with the internet, text messaging, satellite phones, there are plenty of ways to contact "cells' without having to blink a message over Tv.

Actually, I have issues with both, since I believe the news should be reported without bias. As for the other forms of communication, they are traceable. It's not the same as being delivered by mule through mountains as the tapes are.

The other reply comparing this question to the situation in North Korea is suspect to say the least. You must be aware that the blocking of all outside news from North Koreans by a dictator in order to oppress them is very different than the broadcast of AJ in the US. We're not discussing whether the government should allow it anyway. We are discussing if E* should offer it and I lean towards thinking they should not. One reason is that it results in a source of funds for an organization that I believe supports terrorism.

The other reply comparing this question to the situation in North Korea is suspect to say the least. You must be aware that the blocking of all outside news from North Koreans by a dictator in order to oppress them is very different than the broadcast of AJ in the US. We're not discussing whether the government should allow it anyway. We are discussing if E* should offer it and I lean towards thinking they should not. One reason is that it results in a source of funds for an organization that I believe supports terrorism.

My point was that there are and always will be parties interested in control over what everyone hears, whether they are right wing religous groups or left wing college deans that refuse to allow the military to recruit on campus. Personally, I believe in the marketplace of ideas.

As for AJ being a source of funds for terrorist groups that is another matter. If there is any credible evidence of this then I would expect that this government would have already made the charge, started prosecution, and initiated counter measures agains AJ. The fact that they haven't indicates that either there is no evidence or else this administration is negligent.

My point was that there are and always will be parties interested in control over what everyone hears, whether they are right wing religous groups or left wing college deans that refuse to allow the military to recruit on campus. Personally, I believe in the marketplace of ideas.

As for AJ being a source of funds for terrorist groups that is another matter. If there is any credible evidence of this then I would expect that this government would have already made the charge, started prosecution, and initiated counter measures agains AJ. The fact that they haven't indicates that either there is no evidence or else this administration is negligent.

On your first paragraph, it appears that we agree and I may have misunderstood the point you were making.

I think you misunderstood mine based on your second paragraph. I don't mean that AJ is supporting terrorism with cash. I believe they are supporting it with the distribution of terrorist propaganda and are aided in doing so by any American money sent their way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts