Will EHD on Hopper w/Sling work with a 211?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BearcatScott

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Springboro, OH
The title says it all. I am thinking of getting rid of Dish and I currently lease a Hooper w/Sling. I own a 211 and was wondering if I save everything to an EHD from my Hopper could I watch the recorded shows on the 211.

TIA

No. Different encoding. But you can let the ViP211 reformat it and use it that way. But you'll never watch a show put there by a Hopper.

Also, I believe shortly after dropping service, you'll never be able to watch anything on an EHD. Furthermore, the EHD is tied to the account. So if you leave Dish and later come back, you will not be able to watch old stuff on that prior service EHD.

Reactions: Foxbat
You might consider dropping down to the Welcome pack, or Flex, for minimum cost. Spend a few months watching those recordings.

Reactions: Foxbat and DWS44
You might also consider the 612 of which I lease two. :D The EHD is compatible among Hoppers and VIP DVR receivers.

Except he said he wants to get rid of DISH service altogether...so not sure the benefit of this.

But if he DID stay, wouldn't he actually be better off with a 722??? Since the 1st receiver is NOT charged for & he would still have to pay for DVR service, he would be getting a much better receiver (larger internal HDD, PIP, etc.) for the same money... ;)

Reactions: TheKrell
I would consider staying with Dish if I could get my monthly bill way below $100 with close to what I have now. We really only use one tv in the house so I suppose I could get rid of the Hopper and replace with my 211using EHD. I understand I would lose all of my recordings but that doesn't really bother me too much. The only issue is how many shows could I record at one time with the 211?

I would consider staying with Dish if I could get my monthly bill way below $100 with close to what I have now. We really only use one tv in the house so I suppose I could get rid of the Hopper and replace with my 211using EHD. I understand I would lose all of my recordings but that doesn't really bother me too much. The only issue is how many shows could I record at one time with the 211?

On a 211 1 sat and 1 ota at same time. You can also watch one previously recorded while 1 sat and 1 ota are recording

On a 211 1 sat and 1 ota at same time. You can also watch one previously recorded while 1 sat and 1 ota are recording
And that is provided you have the 211 or 211K, they have internal OTA tuners. 211Z needs an accessory TUNER for OTA which is currently not available.

I believe I have a K. I will have to check. I'm pretty sure it had an internal OTA tuner. I actually won it from a SatelliteGuys contest a few years. back.

What if I suspend my account. Can I still use the DVR to watch already recorded shows? Could I still view/record OTA channels? What is the cost to suspend an account?

Dish pause is $5/month, and can last up to 6 months out of the year. I believe you would have access to your recordings on the Hopper, but not from an EHD.

What if I suspend my account. Can I still use the DVR to watch already recorded shows? Could I still view/record OTA channels? What is the cost to suspend an account?

Yes on already recorded shows using vip211k, I would disconnect coax and cat5 prior to disconnecting however just to make sure. Mine is off and have couple hundred movies on 2 gig EHD. Watched it yesterday, FYI this is owned equipment.

But what about if I keep the Hopper would I still be able to watch recorded programs on it? I lease the Hopper so do I get to keep it when I suspend my account?

Hmmm, that brings up an interesting point: If I upgrade to a leased H3, isn't there the two-year requirement that I maintain a minimum level of programming to be in compliance with the contract I signed to upgrade? If you suspend, does that violate that programming minimums? Or, does Dish just extend your commitment to get you to a total of 24 months of programming?

I ended up staying with Dish. They offered $40 off my bill for 6 months plus a couple other things. Have 120+, HBO at $10, SHO 50% off for 6 months, Dish Movie Pack free for 3 months, and $40 off bill for 6 months. Total $65. Guess this will all come up again in 6 months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts