Will I need a new dish/lnb with 118.7 with Hopper 3?

gislands

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
California
I don't know all the terminology for all the dish/lnb configurations so this may have been mentioned before. Currently I live in Northern California and have the HWS set up. I also have 118.7 with international for the RTN (horse racing) channels. Is there anything else I will need as far as dish set up or lnb's when I have the new Hopper 3 installed on Saturday?
Just curious.
Thanks

I don't know all the terminology for all the dish/lnb configurations so this may have been mentioned before. Currently I live in Northern California and have the HWS set up. I also have 118.7 with international for the RTN (horse racing) channels. Is there anything else I will need as far as dish set up or lnb's when I have the new Hopper 3 installed on Saturday?
Just curious.
Thanks
Hopper 3 currently only works with the 1000.2 dish and Hybrid LNB (DPH WA in your case). You'll need an ADDITIONAL dish and will retain the 1000+/500+ for 118only. That will plug into the LNB input on the DPH WA.

If you can't tolerate a second dish, then H3 isn't for you at least at this time.

There are two versions of the 500+/1000+. The older version has 4 separate LNB outputs and you need an external switch. That is the version shown in the Hopper 3 wiring diagrams (Hopper Zone sticky thread).

The newer version has an internal switch. It has 3 outputs so as long as the internal switch bypasses when an up-stream switch is used like most other Dish LNBs this should work too but so far it has not been confirmed.

There has been a discussion that Dish may come out with a hybrid switch (DBH42) that would allow 4 separate LNB inputs. IF that happens, it won't be soon (maybe towards the end of 2016). With that LNB, you could use the 1000+ dish (at least the old LNB configuration) and send the 4 LNBs to the switch.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Got it, so basically I'll have the 1000.2 dish and a separate dish to get the Ku 118.7 right as opposed to using the 1000.2 PLUS like I have now. It does not work with the 1000.2 plus. Is that sound about right?
The good news is I have an old legacy dish still at the peak of my roof that isn't used, from the SD days of the two satellites before HD. So hopefully the additional dish can go there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts