Will I need a new router?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
So I'm about to go from a 3mgb DSL connection to a 16mgb cable connection. I already purchased a cable modem. It's a Motorola Surfboard SB6120. I'm just wondering if I need to upgrade my wireless router. I've had it for several years. It's a linksys WRT54G, if my memory serves me right (I'm currently at work). Do you think this router will handle the upgrade in speed properly?

Hmm 16mg did not know any provider in the US had that kind of connection to the home without it being a business connection. Which provider offering this??

Hmm 16mg did not know any provider in the US had that kind of connection to the home without it being a business connection. Which provider offering this??

Are you kidding? Some people have 30mg down now. My ISP is 10mg down and 2mg up, which is slow compared to a lot of ISP's.

Comcast has 12MB standard, and you can upgrade to 16, 22, 50, or even 105. (In Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, California, and some back East, that I know of)

Supposed to go to 50MB standard before the end of the year. We'll see.

As Ramy says, your current router is fine.

It's a linksys WRT54G... Do you think this router will handle the upgrade in speed properly?
The legendary router that started this third-party firmware business... It will do just fine on the LAN side.
It has only 802.11 b/g and if you have more recent wireless devices like a/n, then it will fall short.
Or desktops both supporting 1Gbps and communicating (the 54G can only do 100Mbps on paper, a bit over half that much in real life).

Diogen.

The legendary router that started this third-party firmware business... It will do just fine on the LAN side.
It has only 802.11 b/g and if you have more recent wireless devices like a/n, then it will fall short.
Or desktops both supporting 1Gbps and communicating (the 54G can only do 100Mbps on paper, a bit over half that much in real life)..

So I guess in non-techie terms, If my top speed from Charter is only 16mgb anyway, then I shouldn't have any trouble getting those speeds wirelessly with that router? My main desktop computer and my Xbox 360 are hard wired from the router. But I have a laptop and my Iphone that I use wifi.

The router serves external (internet) and internal duties.
Your internet bandwidth (16Mbps) is way lower than what you router can handle wired (~60Mbps) - you should be fine.

Your laptop when connected wirelessly might be able to run faster than 802.11g (the best the 54G can do).
But this won't affect its internet speed since 802.11g speeds are still higher than 16Mbps.

Bottom line: your setup bottleneck in the internet connection bandwidth, the 54G will be just fine handling it.
If you need top of the line performance inside the house (802.11a/n, 1Gbps LAN), the 54G won't do it.

Diogen.

Huh? I've been on close at 15Mb Road Runner Turbo for almost 4 years now, since December 2006. Unfortunatley TW hasn't launched Wideband in my area yet that goes for 50Mb Down/5Mb Up.

I have a 20mb broadband connection through comcast. I know, up in the Chicago area, GoalieBob has a 50MB one, all residential. I get 5MB up, and sometimes 25MB down.

Smokey - your new modem is what I have. Its nice, and fast, and ready for the next generation, i.e., DOCSIS 3.0.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)