Will IP architecture eventually replace wild feeds?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Article: https://www.tvtechnology.com/opinions/how-ip-architecture-works-for-live-production

Of note: "To promote the second season of its syndicated daytime programming, Daily Blast Live (DBL), broadcast station group TEGNA conducted a live, point-to-point “media tour” from its KUSA Denver studio to 32 stations across the country. For six straight hours on one day, Daily Blast Live sent 32 different live shots about every 10 minutes featuring DBL talent to TEGNA morning and noon shows.

The number of shots, the total length of time, and the varying time zones that had to be accommodated made purchasing satellite time too cost-prohibitive, so TEGNA turned to TVU Grid, an IP-based switching, routing and distribution system from TVU Networks, to receive DBL media tour audio and video."

As IP based delivery becomes more cost efficient, I bet we start to see wild feeds decrease. It's probably inevitable. Enjoy them while they last!!

Reactions: raydio and FTA4PA
Streaming is pretty well established as a viable method for both point-to-point streams and multicast (one to many). Help us understand what you think may be different about streaming at the commercial level.

I suspect that any hesitance to bail on satellite is based on long-term contracts for satellite bandwidth.

Reactions: raydio
Streaming is pretty well established as a viable method for both point-to-point streams and multicast (one to many). Help us understand what you think may be different about streaming at the commercial level.

I suspect that any hesitance to bail on satellite is based on long-term contracts for satellite bandwidth.

My point is this may lead to a (further) reduction in the satellite time broadcasters buy for wild feeds.

Reactions: raydio and FTA4PA
My point is this may lead to a (further) reduction in the satellite time broadcasters buy for wild feeds.
The non-contract purchase of time should have already disappeared except for those mortally terrified of change.

This doesn't seem like something that requires a lot of weighing of options unless you're uplinking from East Jesus where there isn't any broadband and who does that?

This doesn't seem like something that requires a lot of weighing of options unless you're uplinking from East Jesus where there isn't any broadband and who does that?

Scan 91W during business hours Monday through Friday and you'll see that there are still a ton of uplinks for news feeds from many varying locations.

My 2 cents if it’s cheaper via IP it’s going over IP. I could see more and more IP temp feeds with 5G and some type of priority access for a fee to offer some QoS. What will be interesting if the low orbit satellite networks that are being built would offer a service for live uplinks via IP to lower costs.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

How can a "in the field" news truck run a IP line back to the studio? Nope, they are likely to use their onboard KU link for our sorts of wild feeds for a very long time to come.

Don't some of the trucks use dedicated cellular feeds for backhaul? I thought that's what the "LiveU" feeds on 103 were

Last edited:
Reactions: raydio
Don't some of the trucks use dedicated cellular feeds for backhaul? I thought that's what the "NBCU" feeds on 103 were

Beats me, I have no idea if they do or not. I just don't think it's all that likely that all wild feeds on KU are going to shutdown, or go IP only for a long time to come. Now, maybe IP over satellite link, but I've heard we have access to FTA receivers that can even get those, but I haven't tried that myself.

Reactions: N5XZS and raydio
Around these parts we have some pretty decent hills with LoS to the stations so a lot of the traffic goes via microwave. There are a few trucks with satellite capability but they're not as ubiquitous. I've seen a more than few sports production trucks at stadiums and arenas that didn't have their dishes deployed. My most recent live sports stuff has traveled via a hot spot.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
There's already been a huge shift toward IP for news and sports feeds over the course of this decade. There aren't nearly as many traditional satellite feeds of either as there were 5 or 10 years ago. Bonded cellular newsgathering units are now ubiquitous at nearly every TV station and network in the country and frequently the first method local stations turn to in order to get their live shot out. LiveU, TVU, and Dejero are the primary manufacturers. These units are also increasingly being integrated into IP satellite solutions using either Viasat Excede Ka-band satellite internet or Network Innovation's Maverick VSAT service (neither of which "we" can tune like a traditional satellite feed). There are live trucks being built now with just cellular antennas rather than the traditional microwave mast and satellite dish.

Over on the sports side, the LTN Global Communications network has seen big growth in IP-based video delivery for backhauls. ESPN, meanwhile, in the last decade has shifted from frequently using traditional satellite for lower-interest ESPN3 content to simply using the high-capacity fiber internet virtually all colleges and universities now have.

Even 24/7 broadcasts haven't been immune, either. Niche public affairs channels like PCN and The California Channel have left behind the expense of satellite in recent years to deliver their channels to providers using the internet. Some of the newer diginets, like Quest and the ones from Sinclair (such as Comet and Stadium) have never used a traditional satellite method for delivery to affiliates, but instead have relied on the internet since their launch.

There's already been a huge shift toward IP for news and sports feeds over the course of this decade. There aren't nearly as many traditional satellite feeds of either as there were 5 or 10 years ago. Bonded cellular newsgathering units are now ubiquitous at nearly every TV station and network in the country and frequently the first method local stations turn to in order to get their live shot out. LiveU, TVU, and Dejero are the primary manufacturers. These units are also increasingly being integrated into IP satellite solutions using either Viasat Excede Ka-band satellite internet or Network Innovation's Maverick VSAT service (neither of which "we" can tune like a traditional satellite feed). There are live trucks being built now with just cellular antennas rather than the traditional microwave mast and satellite dish.

Over on the sports side, the LTN Global Communications network has seen big growth in IP-based video delivery for backhauls. ESPN, meanwhile, in the last decade has shifted from frequently using traditional satellite for lower-interest ESPN3 content to simply using the high-capacity fiber internet virtually all colleges and universities now have.

Even 24/7 broadcasts haven't been immune, either. Niche public affairs channels like PCN and The California Channel have left behind the expense of satellite in recent years to deliver their channels to providers using the internet. Some of the newer diginets, like Quest and the ones from Sinclair (such as Comet and Stadium) have never used a traditional satellite method for delivery to affiliates, but instead have relied on the internet since their launch.

Well articulated and detailed post. Thank you.

Beats me, I have no idea if they do or not. I just don't think it's all that likely that all wild feeds on KU are going to shutdown, or go IP only for a long time to come. Now, maybe IP over satellite link, but I've heard we have access to FTA receivers that can even get those, but I haven't tried that myself.

I think it’s more like this.

Business number person behind desk we pay $875 an hour with out current solution here’s a new solution that will work 70% of the time that’s $87.50 an hour. Well let’s use both and cut our costs big time.

I don't think that you can reasonably make a case that this is a revelation.

Your observation was once applied to twisted-pair copper and before that, telegraph, semaphore flags and smoke signals.

Who is harmed?

You got be careful when going in hard wired world!:rolleyes: Radio wave is your friend gateway in time of craziness of time we are living now.

We can't afford go hard wired world plain and simple!:) Just want keep it simple that all.

Someday, we will break light speed barrer Subspace radio! That's our holy Grail to the star. That next step of our mankind doing ways of radio communications!:)

Radio wave is your friend gateway in time of craziness of time we are living now.
This makes the possibly horrible assumption that the gubmint doesn't give away all the bandwidth to wireless as they seem to be on a mission to do.

If we're truly chomping away at the Earth's protective atmospheric layer as some assert, radio communications may no longer be possible at some point.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)