Will my satellite box from the Middle East work in the USA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

monkey9

Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
I have a satellite box in Iraq. It is the same as the ones used throughout the Arab world, like Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, etc. They all get the same programming. You can choose from 15 or so satellites, but Nilesat and Hotbird are the most popular. Once you buy the box, you have satellite TV for free for life, there are no monthly fees at all in these regions.

I have gotten addicted to some of these channels, like MBC, and MBC Action, and want to bring my box home with me. Will this work in the USA? I don't know much about satellite tv. Do I need the box and the receiver (but not the dish of course, I am traveling by commercial airplane!), and will this pick up the satellites that I was watching in North Africa, and the Middle East?

Thanks.

You will not hit the same sats that are on the other side of the globe. If your receiver is a standard free to Air receiver then you may be able to pick up some sats here though.

Welcome, and read the stickies in the FTA forum for starters. You likely have a standard MPEG2 FTA box that will get a lot of stuff for free in the USA.

Satellite 101a

In addition to all the good answers you got above, please read this thread.
I think the answers I gave all pretty much apply to you, so be sure to also check the links shown.

Your DVB receiver should work just fine here in the USA. However, the channel you will receive will be different. The satellites you mentioned do not reach the USA. There are other satellites over here that will have similar channels. See the The List here for the list of channels available.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts