Will next year's Sony TV's bring back simulated 3D and the other 3D options back next year?

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I noticed this year since they released the Android operating system on this year's TVs simulated 3D and the other 3D options aren't there anymore. A guy at the local Best Buy store told me there were a lot of online complaints to Sony about this, so will they bring it back in next year's line? I plan to save up for a 4K active 3D TV eventually, of which I want to be a Sony, and this is kind of a deal breaker for me. An Android operating system would be nice, but to me is not as nice as the different 3D options. Though there still is one TV that still is in production that has those options, it's WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

If you don't know what the 3D options are here they are below...

3D (Simulated 3D)
3D (Side-By-Side)
3D (Over-Under)
2D (Left Only)
2D (Top Only)
3D depth adjustment
And the ability to turn the 3D on and off.
Plus any I might have forgotten to mention?

P.S. I don't know if they removed the simulated 3D from their current Blu-ray 3D players, but to me that's a MUST as well, since I want to either get a 4K upscaling or true 4K Blu-ray player that has 3D abilities in it.

How would anyone know what Sony has planned for their next lineup? Ask after CES. When a manufacturer drops something, it's usually because no one uses it. Why? Because simulated 3D looks like garbage. Worse than discs/films converted to 3D. More and more manufacturers are dropping 3D altogether. I found Zero requests for simulated 3D in the Sony 930/940C owner's thread at AVS. The Sonys will play 1080p 3D when supported. Besides, as we've already said many times.... 3Dis not part of the UHD specs.

Reactions: TheForce
I found Zero requests for simulated 3D in the Sony 930/940C owner's thread at AVS.

The guy at Best Buy said they were complaining to Sony directly, not on message boards. I've seen a couple myself, even if it wasn't many. I happen to like simulated 3D, even if it is nowhere as good as true 3D. From my knowledge on the 4K TVs if you have active glasses it upscales it to 4K, though it's not true 4K. But I may be wrong. It's just what I was told on avsforum by someone. Even if it doesn't, I prefer progressive scan over interlaced. Hence I choose active over passive. Even on my DirecTV receiver I have it set to 720p and not 1080i.

I call BS. Do you believe them when they say you need the $400 HDMI cables to make the picture look good? If people were complaining, AVS would be the place where they would complain. That's where everyone posts when they are not happy. Not one single person has asked for simulated 3D in the 930/940 threads. When I talked to my Sony rep earlier today, he has had no one ask for simulated 3D. Sony BD players still do simulated 3D in certain models.

Last edited:
I know that. But it's still a feature. And I know that other brands still have simulated 3D.
And more and more manufacturers have dropped 3D completely this year (Vizio, Sharp), or only added 3D in the top models (Samsung, Sony, etc.). Samsung and Sony only support 3D in their higher end models.

Sounds like you really don't like 3D. Anyways, you pointed out of two manufacturers have stopped 3D. Well that's just two out of how many? (I haven't heard that Sharp dropped 3D, but I'll take you word for it.) And for LG, well that's just a rumor. And about the 3D on Sony and Samsung being on the higher-end models, well I know at least with Sony there are cheaper 3D models that are passive 3D ones. My guess to why Sony doesn't have simulated 3D this year is because of its new operating system (Android), and had some compatibility issues, but I bet that will be fixed at some later release. But I could be wrong, who knows? That's why I asked. Yes, I know that 3D isn't popular, but there are still many people that LOVE IT, and I've talked to a few, not online, but in actual real life, that love it, so I and many others predict that it won't go anywhere. Yes, I've seen people predict it'll be gone soon, but I heard the other end too. And with glasses-free 3D in the future, it'll probably stay around.

Nope Have 3D. Just being honest. Enjoy a movie that's done well in 3D. Don't like simulated 3D. Don't know anyone who likes simulated 3D. I know very few people who even use real 3D. Looks like garbage. Worse than movies converted to 3D in post production. I just listed a couple manufacturers as an example. There are more. More and more are completely dropping year after year.

I am looking at the 75X940C as my new set as it is Full Array w/local dimming, HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 w/HDR support, and 3D support.

S~

Last edited:
There are only a handful of major manufacturers left. By UHD manufacturer:

Samsung: 3D support is limited to mid/higher end models.
Sony: 3D support is limited to mid/higher end models.
LG: Limited to higher end models. New UF series has dropped 3D. LG is "rumored" to be dropping 3D in 2016. Only a rumor.
Vizio: 3D support dropped in 2015
Sharp: 3D support dropped in 2015
Panasonic: Only available on the flagship 850 series.
Westinghouse: No 3D support:
Hisense: Only 65" H10B
Seiki: No
Toshiba: Pulled out of US tv business
Sceptre: 1 TV. No 3D support
Proscan: 2 TVs No 3D support
JVC: No 3D support

Last edited:
There are only a handful of major manufacturers left. By UHD manufacturer:

Samsung: 3D support is limited to mid/higher end models.
Sony: 3D support is limited to mid/higher end models.
LG: Limited to higher end models. New UF series has dropped 3D. LG is "rumored" to be dropping 3D in 2016. Only a rumor.
Vizio: 3D support dropped in 2015
Sharp: 3D support dropped in 2015
Panasonic: Dropped. No 3D support
Westinghouse: No 3D support:
Hisense: Only 65" H10B
Seiki: No
Toshiba: Pulled out of US tv business
Sceptre: 1 TV. No 3D support
Proscan: 2 TVs No 3D support
JVC: No 3D support
Most of those manufacturers aren't major players anyways. Well at least in the US. Although I haven't looked extensively at the TV models themselves, I still see that Panasonic still sells 3D glasses on their site, so what you say might be questionable. And on the below link from this message board (even though it's kinda old, and that's with not as good older models), many of the posters (not all, but most) really enjoy simulated 3D...

https://www.avforums.com/threads/is-2d-to-3d-conversion-any-good.1515814/

Um, I did a little research, and Sharp still does 3D. Take a look at this site...

http://3d-tv-review.toptenreviews.com/sharp-aquos-review.html

The only MAJOR PLAYER I know of that dropped 3D I think that I have read about is Vizio.
I listed all UHD manufacturers. Don't expect something to come back that has been dropped.
1. Not a 4K tv. It is a 1080p set that uses pixel splitting to bring scaling close to UHD.
2. That's a 2014 model.
Here are 2015 models. No 3D

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Models.aspx?facet:seriesfilter=4K series

I didn't look at all the models since I am at work and don't have a lot of time but at least their top of the line model is active 3D.

Actually I re-read the link I posted above and it's a 2016 model, not 2014. Look at the title when you look at the page. And yes I know it's not a 4K. I was simply saying they still carry 3D. I also looked for articles all over the internet and the only major manufacturer that dropped 3D was Vizio based on what I could find. There's I can find written about other major manufacturers dropping 3D.

The link is wrong. Go to amazon and look at the user reviews. All 2014. I used to do this for a living. I still talk to my distributors. I know exactly what is available by whom. Only the 850 offers 3D

Last edited:
Impossible. 2016 sets aren't even released yet. Here is the actual link from CNET for that set. Look at the date: 9/2014. http://www.cnet.com/products/sharp-lc-uq17u/

The Quad+ was introduced in 2014 and carried over to 2015. None of Sharp's 2015 models, whether UHD or 1080p, support 3D.

Panasonic does offer 3D support for only the 850. the 6XX series and the newly released 4xx series do not offer 3D. In 2016, only expect 3D on upper end sets, if at all. I also mentioned earlier, while only a rumor, LG might be dropping 3D also. That was not heard from someone on the street or on a forum (or a BB salesman).

The pattern I, and everyone else, am seeing is 3D support is going away and/or only supported in the mid/flagship models. Not gaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: edisonprime
I'm an idiot. I know I posted this a long time ago (haven't been on this site for a long time), but I did more research and you are right (don't know what that Best Buy guy was thinking). Good thing the TV I'm interested in the Sony XBR-65X950B (2014 model) is still one being manufactured and it features it. If it's no longer being manufactured when I'm ready to buy it, I'll just get it somewhere online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts