Will Recordings on USB Drive work on replacement 622?

kaman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 8, 2006
My 622's internal hard drive bit the dust and DISH is sending me a replacement 622. I realize my DVR recordings on the 622 are gone, but what about my external USB drive? From what I understand, when you try to hook up the external drive to another DISH receiver, you have to reformat it if you want to use it with that receiver. I understand (but don't agree with) DISH reasoning about making recorded materials mobile.

Are all my Planet Earth HD recordings that I have archived on the external drive hosed?

I just did this. It was completely invisible. Unplugged external HDD from the old ViP622, plugged it into the new ViP722, and everything was there. No error messages, no query about reinitializing, it just worked. Great. Because I stripped an awful lot off the old ViP622.

Reformatting is when you try to hook it up to another receiver that is not on your account. On your own account, you can move around from box to box. It knows the difference between accounts.

Defergie posted while I was typing. I did not get a message about mating. I don't know why some will and some won't. I haven't plugged in my second external HDD yet, maybe that one will behave differently.

So in the meantime, you're saying I can take my external HDD upstairs and plug it in to one of my other receivers (same account) and watch them? My other receivers are MPEG-2 receivers. Does that matter since the external HDD shows were recorded on the 622 (MPEG-4)? Or is the MPEG-2 vs MPEG-4 thing only for decoding/receiving incoming signals through the LNB/switch?

It will only work on ViP622 & ViP722 receivers. Maybe the ViP612. Later, it should work on all ViP receivers, including non-DVR models. All ViP models are MPEG-4 capable. It will not now, nor will it ever, work on pre-Vip receivers.

Again, I'm out typed! ;)

Got it. thanks.

Even though this wasn't a particularly tough question, I still think SatGuys forum is freaking awesome. I've been a casual member of this forum for about 5 years (different IDs), and I still am impressed with how knowledgeable and helpful everyone is (despite the plumpy dose of all you eternal whiners that always have something up their ass about DISH doing or not doing this and that). I'll still keep coming to this forum, even with all the warts.

I bought and replaced a 622 with a 612. I was told by Dish I would have to pay another $40.00 to activate the EHD. I thought the $40.00 stayed with the account and since I would have only one EHD, should I have to pay another $40.00 to activate the 612 EHD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)