Status
Not open for further replies.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
With the rumor that Google will be updating its search rankings to boost https sites will Satelliteguys.us change over?

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/04/14/google-may-push-sites-to-use-encryption/

A powerful voice at GoogleGOOGL -2.12% wants websites to be more secure.

In a move that experts say could make it harder to spy on Web users, Google is considering giving a boost in its search-engine results to websites that use encryption, the engineer in charge of fighting spam in search results hinted at a recent conference.

The executive, Matt Cutts, is well known in the search world as the liaison between Google’s search team and website designers who track every tweak to its search algorithms.

Cutts also has spoken in private conversations of Google’s interest in making the change, according to a person familiar with the matter. The person says Google’s internal discussions about encryption are still at an early stage and any change wouldn’t happen soon.

Doubtful.

The software we are on isn't being updated anymore. They want us to upgrade to the 5.x software, which has less features, runs slower and its a lot more buggy then the software we are running now. Its more a downgrade then an upgrade.

We tried going secure about a year ago (in fact out certificate just expired) but there were too many problems. For example we would have to give up our CDN servers which serve the java and graphics because of SSL mismatch errors. Then also we could run ads because they are not served using SSL. It all lead to a big big mess and a bunch of error messages and missing graphics etc.

There would need to be a lot of changes done by the industry to get it all to work.

Sounds like it's time to move on from Vbulletin. I know you've looked at options, but seems like they're making the decision easier for you.

No matter what software you move to the issues still remain.

The biggest concern is the ad networks they would need to support the SSL so users wouldn't get non secure error messages on every page they load.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If Google is going to "reward" sites that are more secure, that will almost force the others to get up to speed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If Google is going to "reward" sites that are more secure, that will almost force the others to get up to speed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Probably find out that only Google ad networks will work securely if they do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)