Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
As you might know we own all the SatelliteGuys related domain names. SatelliteGuys.COM .NET .ORG .INFO etc...

Last year since we owned them all we decided to start using the .COM domain and started migrating to use that domain. However in that migration we ran into some issues that kept us from fully migrating to .COM from .US. so what we did was set things up so both.COM and .US would work.

I just got a phone call from the folks at Google Adsense and one of the questions I asked was why our revenue has fallen so much (over 70%) over the last year. The person took a quick look at our account and said that our account is flagged for a lot of duplicate content. It seems as though the search bots are seeing .COM and .US postings as separate postings and thus is flagging them as duplicate content. I was told that these duplicates may be a reason for the decline but they couldn't say for sure. But that was the only thing showing on my account.

Because of this sometime this week we will be redirecting all connections from .COM to .US and will be leaving an invisible 301 redirect for the Google (and other company) search bots. This 301 will let the search engines know that the content has permanently moved to the .US domain.

What this means to you is, if you are logging in through the .COM domain when the change is made you will probably have to log in again on the .US domain since each domain uses their own unique cookies. In researching this move the redirect that we do "should" take you to the correct URL's that you have bookmarked. Again the word there is should. If for some reason they don't just change the .com to .us and you will get there... but again this "should" not be a problem.

It is my hope that if our Google Adsense numbers increase back up that I can eliminate more ads for our registered members.

Thank you for your understanding and patience. :)

Thanks for the heads up.

And you'll have gone crazy, as well as broke, trying to buy up all the new domain names.

Which explains your choice.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

That changes have been made. All calls to SatelliteGuys.COM now goes to SatelliteGuys.US.

I have tested it with all bookmarks, and everything that went to satelliteguys.com redirects correctly to satelliteguys.us

Again for those of you who were logged into satelliteguys.com you may need to log in again to satelliteguys.us. If you can not remember your password please use the following link to reset your password. http://www.satelliteguys.us/login.php?do=lostpw

Thank you for your understanding!

.us was the original one so that is the one i have used all these years. Hopefully the revenue will increase again.

I didnt even know about the others either

WOW, hello Iceberg. Like your new pic, you grew a beard and hair. Who is that with you? LOL. Wish you would take the big step and swap back to Dish from Direct, Hopper is really awesome!! I miss reading your post, you always have good inputs.

Now there are a ton of new domains to choose from, which will be the next must have one? satelliteguys.guru? satelliteguys.expert?

I don't have either. Cancelled Directv when I moved and am OTA only now

LOL, lotsa less headaches with OTA only. It's a full time job and sometimes a pain in the A-- keeping up DVRs. I think OTA is all I would have if it wasn't for the Mrs!!

Main reason was the price. When I was in the apartment the programing (Choice package thru DIrectv) was included so all I paid was the HD fee and DVR fee so $20. When I moved I'd have to pay for it so the bill would jump to $90 or $100...way too much for the crap programming on there. I posted an update a couple weeks ago
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/334415-An-Iceberg-sighting

Biggest thing about going OTA was this (from the link above)
It is different because Duluth is a much smaller market than Minneapolis OTA wise. Minneapolis has 9 full powered stations with all 7 nets (big 4, ion, cw, my) and PBS. They also have as subchannels Me, This, Antenna, Movies!, Bounce, WeatherNation, Zuus Country, Live Well and the full Ion mux. Well in Duluth we have 6 full power stations. Big 4, PBS and ironically a AMGTV affiliate. Subchannels are MeTV (off ABC), CW+ (off CBS), My (off NBC). None on Fox (they're CHEAP). It was weird going from around 50 OTA channels down to 12.

Main reason was the price. When I was in the apartment the programing (Choice package thru DIrectv) was included so all I paid was the HD fee and DVR fee so $20. When I moved I'd have to pay for it so the bill would jump to $90 or $100...way too much for the crap programming on there. I posted an update a couple weeks ago
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/334415-An-Iceberg-sighting

Biggest thing about going OTA was this (from the link above)
It is different because Duluth is a much smaller market than Minneapolis OTA wise. Minneapolis has 9 full powered stations with all 7 nets (big 4, ion, cw, my) and PBS. They also have as subchannels Me, This, Antenna, Movies!, Bounce, WeatherNation, Zuus Country, Live Well and the full Ion mux. Well in Duluth we have 6 full power stations. Big 4, PBS and ironically a AMGTV affiliate. Subchannels are MeTV (off ABC), CW+ (off CBS), My (off NBC). None on Fox (they're CHEAP). It was weird going from around 50 OTA channels down to 12.

WOW, so are you missing Satellite a little?

not really. I mainly used it for sports.
(Now one note on the "50 OTA channels" that I had in Minneapolis....22 were religious)

There were nights that there wasn't really anything on and that seemed to be the norm near the end of my contract. I noticed that when I was at the lakehouse on Monday & Tuesday. Tuesday night my dad says "so whats on tonight?" and after going through the guide (he has AT250) we settled on the Twins game because there was really nothing else on.

I had posted numerous times that if I didn't live in the apartment I would have cancelled my Directv early and paid the $20 per month cancel fee. There just isn't much on there and its the same crap being rerun on various channels. It kinda worked out when I moved that my contract was up and I had like a $8 credit on the account so when I moved I cancelled. The rep was very understanding as to why I was cancelling.

The "local" sports I can listen to on the radio. (Twins, Wild, Wolves, Vikes.....and even get the Brewers too)

Honestly I think its harder to not have the subchannels like I had in Minneapolis. Minneapolis we had AntennaTV, ThisTV, Bounce, Movies!, WeatherNation and Zuus Country. In Duluth its just MeTV.

Oh and sorry Scott for taking the thread off topic ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)