Will Shaw subs south of Toronto possibly lose some HD nets after the new sat?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
For those who do not know, Shaw's simsubs, that's when the Canadian network, such as CTV, Global, CityTv, CTV2 or CHCH, is inserted to override the US network, such as FOX, NBC, ABC, or CW. Bell overrides the the entire system, but Shaw does it by region with their receivers.

My worry is that those of us who live in Dorval by the airport, who happen to be traveling south, might actually start seeing the signal loss screen when we go to watch a US network that has a simsub on the new satellite that will not be able to be received much further south than Toronto, just like Bell's 91. It seems that the receiver would be told to switch to another channel, but if there's no signal to be received, then we would just be out of luck. Since the new sat will be used to expand Canadian locals, I just thought this might be a strong possibility.

Maybe the answer is to "move" to an area where the CRTC does not require the simsub. I know people who do not currently have simsubs with Shaw. I know that Shaw might not be apt to do this, since many Canadian with Shaw also have a winter condo.

I don't think miguel is asking about how to avoid simsubs, or wondering whether the current Toronto-based HD networks are moving. I believe he is envisioning the following scenario: when the new satellite is up and running with channels, suppose CITY HD or Global BC HD are on the new satellite, if you are living out of the range of the new satellite, if simsubs are done under the current methodology, you would not be able to watch the program.

I believe he is envisioning the following scenario: when the new satellite is up and running with channels, suppose CITY HD or Global BC HD are on the new satellite, if you are living out of the range of the new satellite, if simsubs are done under the current methodology, you would not be able to watch the program.

That is EXACTLY what I am saying! So, my point is that the large amount of people who are switching to Shaw might be in for a nasty surprise.

So they might be stuck watching the odd show in standard definition vs no shows ever with Bell.

The simple solution is NOT to have an Xku LNBF. Channel maps for the other LNBFs will not have G1 channels mapped.

My fears came true!

My SHAW receiver is sim-subbing to Montreal locals in both SD and HD. Since I cannot receive G1, the channel goes out and the red light comes on. This started within the past 2 days. CTV Toronto is not affected , but all the American nets seem to be as well as Global Toronto and City Toronto. I had never seen them sim-sub Global Toronto with Global Montreal, same with City, until this week.

How would one explain to Shaw that they had to install an older style LNB? Good thing this was my last month with them!

I am getting Global Toronto HD (303) , and City Toronto HD (304) without any issues.

Global Montreal (59) and City Montreal (97) are also fine.

I am getting Global Toronto HD (303) , and City Toronto HD (304) without any issues.

Global Montreal (59) and City Montreal (97) are also fine.

Are you using a Montreal address? It only occurs when Global Montreal or City Montreal are showing the same program. The signal for the SD does not go out, but rather tunes to the Montreal feed. The HD tunes to the Montreal feed, which I cannot receive , so I get the red light until the program ends.
If I were to keep the Shaw system, I would have to move to Toronto!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)