will shaw work in los angeles

modefan63

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
los angeles
hi would like to know if shaw will come in in sd in playa del rey California. I had bell working here till jully 5th last year. thanks.

It should and in HD too I believe.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

also note, the new satellite (G1) will not reach below the northern US once it is launched and operational. However, the new sat is expected to have local channels. and instead of the 75 cm dish, you can also use two separate generic Ku band dishes with an external multiswitch.

yes it will work fine. Both the SD & HD satellite reach into Mexico

also note, the new satellite (G1) will not reach below the northern US once it is launched and operational. However, the new sat is expected to have local channels. and instead of the 75 cm dish, you can also use two separate generic Ku band dishes with an external multiswitch.

Yes I can confirm signal reaches my location, in my case my setup has 2 separate dishes.

I heard from a Shaw customer yesterday that Shaw is going the way of Bell next year and losing there signal in the US.

Bye bye Shaw for sure then just like Bell did. Personally I wouldnt get it if its switching in 2014 for sure.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Don't believe everything you hear.

What is known at this time is that Shaw is planning to launch a third satellite (Anik G1) to supplement the two existing ones. This third satellite will carry some Canadian local stations and the coverage of this satellite will be "Canada only" (and perhaps spilling over into some of the northernmost states in the US). It is believed, at least for now, that the two satellites that exist today will continue to operate with the coverage they already have, and the programming that those two satellites currently carry will still be available within that coverage area.

The third Shaw satellite was scheduled for launch in 2013, but due to issues with the Russian launch company, the current launch date may have been delayed. Information on the launch date is sketchy at this time.

Shaw is currently supplying new customers with a new LNB that has the capability of receiving all three satellites (referred to as "triple LNB" or "xKu LNB") . For anyone in the US who wants one of these LNB's, they can be purchased through a supplier in Canada. If you buy one and install it today, it will do absolutely nothing but receive the two existing satellites until the new satellite is launched and made operational. If you live outside the coverage area of Anik G1 and you buy one, you are wasting your money altogether; continue to use the LNB that you have. Current opinions are that older LNB's will continue to work for the two existing satellites even after Anik G1 is operational. Also, if you do install one of the new LNB's, you will need to have Shaw change the v-code in your receiver in order for it to work at all. If you are contemplating becoming a new Shaw customer in the US, your new system will likely come with the triple LNB and the receiver set up to work with the LNB. Again, it should receive the two existing satellites just fine regardless of your location.

This entire scenario is totally different from what Bell did. The lanuch of the new Bell Nimiq satellites and the resulting loss of signal in most of the US was a replacement of their aging satellites with new ones that have a Canada-only beam. In an effort to provide better signal to the far north of Canada, the the beam was shifted such that much of the US went dark. There may have also been an intent on the part of Bell to cut off the US, but I don't think that intent has really been established.

In the long term, when the two existing Shaw satellites reach the end of their life-cycle, it is totally unknown at this time what will happen with regard to Shaw customers in the US. That event is likely about ten years away.

They had went home for christmas and when they returned he told us he heard this from someone and was passing it on, maybe it was a upset Bell customer hoping this happens.

thanks for the info I am confused. has the new hd sat been launched? also if so I lve in a condo can only put up 1 dish what will the 75cm dish bring me.? THANKS MODEFAN63.

THANKS FOR THE INFO you have been helpful. will a75cm dish work for the new lnb? also how much longer can I wait to get shaw and still get it to work in los angeles?

Please read Post #9.....please?

has the new hd sat been launched?
No it has not, and the date for the now-postponed launch depends on which website you read or which person you talk to. But as far as LA goes, it's irrelevant because you won't get it when it does go up. And it's not an "HD satellite", per se. Current HD programming comes mostly from the existing satellite Anik F2, though Anik F1R also carries some HD. If they someday decide to move all the HD programming to the new Anik G1 satellite, then you will not receive any HD in LA, but I have seen no information that indicates that this is currently Shaw's intent.

In LA you want the 75e to minimize the loss of signal in rain. But either the 60e or the 75e, equipped with the appropiate older "quad LNB" or the newer "xKu" LNB, will give you full access to both existing satellites and both SD and HD programming. Of course, what you are able to watch depends on the model of your receiver and the programming package to which you subscribe. Just be aware that the LNB (quad or xKu) must match the dish: the 60e LNB's are marked as such on the outside of the case; likewise the 75e LNB. You cannot use a 60e LNB on a 75e dish or vice-versa.

also how much longer can I wait to get shaw and still get it to work in los angeles?
I'm not sure how to answer your question. All I can state is that I read this forum and another similar forum from Canada on a regular basis and I have been a Shaw subscriber for several years with full access to their website; I have not seen any information that has stated that the US will go dark in the forseeable future. If anyone has reliable information to the contrary, please share it.

Lastly, when I purchased my system some years ago, the vendor told me to "think of it as a temporary investment in entertainment". Under current laws and regulations Shaw is under no obligation to provide their service to the US. So those in the US who do obtain their service should keep in the back of their minds that it may not "be forever". I purchased my system with that knowledge and here I am, many years later, still watching their excellent programming.

Hi joshuals you said its a waste of money for Americans to get an xku lnb but isn't that what comes on the 75cm dish? It's what we got when we got one. And modefan will need a 75cm dish so maybe he doesn't have a choice about the lnb??

Modefan joshuals gave you really good info. LIke he said there are no guarantes but we had our BEV system for 12 years so it was more than worth the risk. I think you should go ahead and try Shaw. We like ours very much.

I swapped out a xKu for the old LNB, and the dish didn't matter.
That's correct. You can put either an old 75e LNB or an xKu 75e LNB on a 75e dish and it will work fine. But it won't receive any signal from Anik G1 unless you live in the northern part of the US.

the LNB for 60 cm dish won't work on 75 cm and vice versa
That's correct also.

you said its a waste of money for Americans to get an xku lnb but isn't that what comes on the 75cm dish
Yes, any new equipment is likely to come with the nex xKu lnb, and that is fine. When Anik G1 goes up, most of the US will still continue to receive the old satellites with the xKU but not the new satellite. What is a waste of money is for an existing customer with the older quad LNB to purchase a new xKu LNB, remove his older LNB from his dish and install the newer one. It's not going to add any new channels to his reception because he won't be able to see the new satellite, even though he has the newer LNB.

Yes, any new equipment is likely to come with the nex xKu lnb, and that is fine. When Anik G1 goes up, most of the US will still continue to receive the old satellites with the xKU but not the new satellite. What is a waste of money is for an existing customer with the older quad LNB to purchase a new xKu LNB, remove his older LNB from his dish and install the newer one. It's not going to add any new channels to his reception because he won't be able to see the new satellite, even though he has the newer LNB.
Okay sorry I thought the OP didn't have Shaw so he would be new and would get all new equipment, I didn't know he already had a Shaw dish and wanted to buy a different lnb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)