Will the new VOOM bird ever fly?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

emtownsend

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Post Falls, ID
About 2 years ago (or less) VOOM was talking about launching another satellite to cover those areas of the West Coast that could not "see" the original bird...
Since VOOM has been absorbed by Dish Network, has there been any other talk about launching the other satellite? I am too low & just behind a hill and cannot get the current VOOM channels.
Thanks!

i really believe that the bird will move to another slot OR the channels will migrate to one of echos other birds.

just one opinion.

one more thought, it looks like rupert will be aligning ALL future birds at the 99,101 and 103 slots. i am sure that in the end charlie will end up with directvs capacity and rights they now have at 110 and 119.

it just makes sense......but who says the satcasters make sense??!

Last edited:
emtownsend said:
About 2 years ago (or less) VOOM was talking about launching another satellite to cover those areas of the West Coast that could not "see" the original bird...
Since VOOM has been absorbed by Dish Network, has there been any other talk about launching the other satellite? I am too low & just behind a hill and cannot get the current VOOM channels.
Thanks!
You do know that the voom channels are on 129 and not just 61.5. 129 should be very easy to get even on the most extreme west coast.

BrettTRay said:
You do know that the voom channels are on 129 and not just 61.5. 129 should be very easy to get even on the most extreme west coast.

No, I didn't know. Is the 61.5 bird the one low in the sky that used to belong to VOOM? (Forgive my ignorance) and is the 129 location the one which requires a second dish? Thanks for the heads-up. I will search this board for more info on the 129.

Man, I have to really thank you for the info! I just called my Dish guy & he said I would be able to do a "Dish 1000 upgrade" and get a larger dish and pick up three birds at once! He seemed to think I can pick up this other bird even easier than the one I am on now. Still no Superbowl in HiDef but at least I will hopefully be able to add the other HD channels.

Just look at where your current Dish500 is pointing (stand behind it), and if there's no obstructions to the immediate right, you'll be fine.

Are You talking about Rainbow 1 or the Bird that Voom was having Built?

I Thought that Voom had a contract with Lockheed or someone to build a new Bird. Am I making this up? What ever hapened to it? Did Voom/Cabelvision pay to break the contract?

Just wondering,
Cegarrett

Cegarrett said:
Are You talking about Rainbow 1 or the Bird that Voom was having Built?
I Thought that Voom had a contract with Lockheed or someone to build a new Bird. Am I making this up? What ever hapened to it? Did Voom/Cabelvision pay to break the contract?
Just wondering,
Cegarrett

Voom had a contract with Lockheed Martin to build several Ka band satellites but I believe they terminated that contract. In addition, Voom was going to lease part of AMC-6 at 72 W and put most of their national programming there in order to use the Rainbow-1 spotbeam capabilities for HD locals.

Man, I have to go with two dishes due to trees. One mounted on the house (original) and one at the back of our yard, pole mounted (new one). My wife is kind of upset at the pole mounted dish, but there was no other way to pull in the 129... Oh well. It will be worth it, right?

emtownsend said:
Thanks!
Don't know about the other Voom bird u were refering to , but Dish is sending a new one up called Echostar X, heres a link, also this was posted on the Dish Network Forum! http://www.sea-launch.com/current_launch.htm

The FCC Auction of the frequencies at 166 and 175 that were won by Rainbow was declared unauthorized by a court. So, the FCC recently cancelled the licenses and set about refunding the money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)