Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fotograffiti

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Wisconsin
Hey guys,
I want to sign up for DirecTV but don't want to buy the current HD DVR that they offer. Would it be possible for me to get just the HD receiver (without DVR) and use the HDMI to hook straight to my TV to my high def tv and then use the component out on the HD receiver to hook into my TIVO series2? Then I should be able to just switch the video input back and forth depending on whether I want to watch HD programming or not.
I just don't want to fork out the money for something that is set to be replaced in a few months, and I am not sure yet whether the Tivo Series3 is an option as well. Thanks for any info you guys can give me.

Robert

Last edited:
Yes it would work though you'd be hooking the H10 or H20 via composite or s-video to your Series 2 Tivo, they don't have component inputs...

The Series 3 Tivo (if it ever comes out) won't accept HD via Directv either based on it's current specs so I wouldn't consider it an option for now.

Good to know...*S*

Thanks for the info on the Tivo Series3. I hadn't heard either way yet if it would/wouldn't be possible to use with DirecTV. You are correct about the Series2 not having component cable jacks. I was up way late last night when I was writing that post. *L*
Thanks again,
Robert

Tried getting the HD DVR for free

I talked to a CSR this morning about getting one for less or free if I signed up for DirecTV and along with Sunday Ticket and it was a no go. She said I would still have to pay the $300 for the box. I asked about them coming out with the new box soon and she said "Well it's possible I guess. We are always updating our equipment." Seems really vague and unhelpful. If you guys know of another way to request one or a different number where would have better luck than the regular customer service line let me know. I don't know if I can call Customer Retention being that I have never had the service before.

Thanks again

Use S-Video from Series 2

My setup is the H10 and a standalone TiVo...

H10 - HDMI out to DVI in on Samsung LCD TV. (HDMI to DVI converter used).
S-Video out of H10 to S-Video IN on TiVo - AND -
S-Video out of TiVo to S-Video IN on LCD TV.

Picture quality is very good, but not as good as it would be if using only HDMI or HDMI-DVI interface.

Also the Samsung LCD TV I have (LTN-266W) or something like that, is now about 1 1/2 years old. It already is like a dinosaur in terms of how LCD technology has advanced. The screen processing time is something like 16ms which makes a huge difference when processing fast moving images that often accompany the HD programming. Due to processing limitations, I frequently have to contend with posterization and pixelization artifacts. This happens when viewing SD D* programming via the HDMI, as well as when viewing HD D* content via the S-Video connectors while passing signal through the SD TiVo.

Unfortunately, its best for now.

I wouldn't recommend the outgoing HR-250 or whatever the designation is on the HD TiVo for D*. I read somewhere that it will become a $300+ paperweight as soon as D* completes the transition to MPEG4 and starts offering more HD channels locally and nationally. Plus the HD TiVo has been plagued with many problems including HDMI ports that fail.

My experience with combo units (D* receiver + TiVo) has not been good. I had 2 modified units (larger HDD and cooling fans) and both died when the HDD started to fill up. This lead me to switch to the s/a TiVo and the HD D* H10 receiver.

Good Luck,
Rob

Thanks for the reply to this post ro1224. I have one more question for you since you have gotten this to work. How is your audio hooked up? With my current cable box which is HD I had it hooked straight to the TV and also hooked through the TV on different video inputs. The problem I have is that I have to unplug the audio cables that are plugged into the Tivo and put them into the TV when I want to switch to HD. I only have one audio out on the cable box and I have looked for some sort of audio splitter but can't find any with the necessary connectors. Does your directv box have 2 audio outs or do you have a way you handle this? This would be a HUGE help if I could figure this out.

Thanks,
Robert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts