• No

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Dumb question we are ready now

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Monkeys will fly out of my butt before I give up analog TV

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I said yes, but it really depends. I am ready for digital now, but some won't be, especially those who don't understand WHY they have to do the transition. I think afterward, those non-digital folks will be happy with it, but there will be pitfalls getting there.

ciwsguy

It isa topic that elicitsa lot of pasion. I am learning that.

My biggest concern would be how the broadcasters are going to handle it? Locally (Balt/DC area), analog is almost never out. Digital on the other hand, goes blank, has audio issues (wrong audio feeds, not Dolby Digtial, audio dropouts), wrong PSIP info, wrong clock info & guide info embedded in the signal. Plus signals that don't always have the correct channel mappings (32-1 is sometimes 33-1).

There's a big thread about DC OTA on AVS, and several local tech people that work for the stations post on there. It's not all that uncommon for them to say something like our XXX device hung, and needed to be rebooted, that's why XXX problem was happening.

Hopefully digital TV will be more stable next year, but I doubt it as the stations have already purchased their equipment and are not likely to upgrade again.

-John

I voted "Dumb Question We Are Ready Now"....

But, it would not surprise me to see the FCC change the Cut-Off date, to give more time to the stations that won't be ready.... and there will be some stations that won't be ready....???

I voted "Dumb Question We Are Ready Now"....

But, it would not surprise me to see the FCC change the Cut-Off date, to give more time to the stations that won't be ready.... and there will be some stations that won't be ready....???

The FCC can't change the date. It's embedded in law now.

I thought that VOOM boxes wee digital. Why would you be concerned about them?

Yes, they are digital. They function both as a HD receiver and as a converter box, The software in working activated boxes is old, never having been updated since voom went out of business. They can only be used for OTA reception now. Some brodcasters' multiplexor equipment to pack program info into the signal cause the voom box to loop in a reboot mode. Nobody can fix them. The problem may spread to many channels.

They are digital. They serve well now for OTA HD receivers. Could be used for converter boxes. The software has not been updated since voom went out of business years ago. Some PBS and CBS channels cause the box to loop in a reboot mode. This is caused by some equipment they use to send program info, etc. along with the signal. No way to fix and it may spread as they gear up.

sorry for repost - did not see my 1st.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts