Does not make sense.

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
I am not very keen on OTA signals. I am currently getting all the digital channels that are broadcast in my area but I cannot understand why WLOV a fox affiliate and WKDH an abc affiliate who's towers are in the same location come in at different signal strength. According to the stats I have seen the towers are only about 10 feet difference in height. I get 90-95% on WLOV and 65 to 70 on WKDH. Here is the weird thing to me. WLOV is broadcasting their digital signal @ 390 kW and WKDH is broadcasting at 537 kW. Can someone explain why this would be.

You may be experiening multipath , maybe thats why one is lower than the other. Is one vhf maybe???
The lower signal station may be vhf and you are receiveing it on a uhf antenna.
Have you tried moving the antenna around???

I looked on Wiki for this information: WLOV is broadcasted on channel 16 and WKDH is broadcasted on channel 45.

So here are the facts:

WLOV
390 KW
Channel 16
(90-95%)

WKDH
537 KW
Channel 45
(65-70%)

So some possibilities are:

1. Does your antenna have enough gain at channel 45?
2. Is there interference that causes problems at channel 45?
3. Are you sure the station is broadcasting at maximum power?
4. Higher frequencies need more power to go the same distance as lower frequencies.
5. Lower frequencies can bend more than higher frequencies.

Sadly to say there are so many possibilities why the signal is low :(

Both signals are UHF. One thing I forgot to mention WKDH is transmitting only a digital channel. They droped their analog channel last year. Probably makes no difference though.

I looked on Wiki for this information: WLOV is broadcasted on channel 16 and WKDH is broadcasted on channel 45.

So here are the facts:

WLOV
390 KW
Channel 16
(90-95%)

WKDH
537 KW
Channel 45
(65-70%)

So some possibilities are:

1. Does your antenna have enough gain at channel 45?
2. Is there interference that causes problems at channel 45?
3. Are you sure the station is broadcasting at maximum power?
4. Higher frequencies need more power to go the same distance as lower frequencies.
5. Lower frequencies can bend more than higher frequencies.

Sadly to say there are so many possibilities why the signal is low :(

How would I go about adjusting my gain?
No interference that I know of.
I have a channel master 4228

Unfortunatelly I don't know where to find the radiation patterns for those stations. I do know that when I was looking up the channels that I receive, that I found a web site for my local signals that did show the patterns. For me, it was some of the stations I was looking for were not being beamed in my direction.
Toronto, Ontario & Buffalo, New York HDTV Channel Map
As for gain adjustment, an amplifier will add gain if the singal is too weak. It, however, will only amplify a signal that is there. If there is no signal being received, it will have nothing to amplify. It can have problems with strong signals causing too much gain and overloading your amplifier. Noise is also introduced into the system from an amplifier, but usually, the extra amplification is needed so much more than the little noise that is entered into the signal.